Dragon Quest I, II, and III [1, 2, and 3]: The Erdrick Trilogy HD-2D Remakes (2024-2025; PC, PS5, Switch, XBOX Series X/S)

Koby

Publisher Square Enix and developer Artdink Corporation have released new information and screenshots for Dragon Quest III HD-2D Remake introducing monster arena tournaments, rescuing monsters, and more locations remade in HD-2D.

Get the details below.

■ New Monster Arena Tournaments (Exclusive to this Remake)

It’s time to talk about the brand-new monster arena tournaments that are exclusive to this remake. There are several monster arenas scattered across the world and each is home to its own ranked tournaments. The key to emerging victorious in these is to assemble your toughest team of up to three rescued monsters. What’s more, rescuing more than one of the same species of monster will make that type of creature even mightier. Do whatever you can to gather a group of strong critters that will lead you to victory and, most importantly, plenty of prizes!

1. Keep an eye out for mighty monsters on your travels!

If you find your team too weak to conquer any given tournament, resume your adventure. There’s every chance you’ll happen upon a monster that’s stronger than any you’ve rescued so far.

X0oV3a5.jpeg

2. Make a team that can survive multiple battles in a row!

Each tournament is comprised of a series of three to four bouts and your team cannot heal between matches. Be sure to include at least one monster on your team that can recover HP during battles.

YtuFHD6.jpeg

3. Change your tactics if a match isn’t going your way!

You can set how your monsters behave by selecting “Tactics” in the battle menu. Tactical tinkering can be the key to coming out on top!

hjZfKYk.jpeg

Get Multiple Monsters of the Same Species to Make Them Mightier

Rescuing more than one of the same species of monster will benefit your critters. For starters, the first monster you rescued from that species will level up! That monster’s species strength will also increase. Not only does this boost your monsters’ attributes, it can also allow them to learn new spells and abilities, making it easier to triumph in tournaments.

—The first monster rescued in this species group gets a nice boost to their stats!

Qa3ksrc.jpeg

—The more stars, the higher their species strength. You can also check what spells and abilities monsters know.

XMPdevc.jpeg

■ Rescuing Monsters

Keep your eyes peeled for any friendly monsters in need of a helping hand while out and about. Every monster is different and you’ll need to use some special tricks to rescue some of them. Party members with the new monster wrangler vocation know a thing or two about these creatures and will come in handy when rescuing them.

—Interact with any friendly monsters you spot in towns, dungeons, and secret spots. You might be able to rescue to them.

OBpF5KS.jpeg

—Some critters will flee when exposed to certain sounds, smells, or people. In these cases, try using an ability that lets you approach quietly, or an item that can turn you invisible, or mask your scent.

800qW3B.jpeg

—Once you’ve rescued enough monsters, Monty the Monster Monitor will reward you!

Monster Wranglers to the Rescue!

Having a monster wrangler in your party will stop friendly monsters from fleeing when you approach. They also possess the Animal Instinct ability which allows them to sense how many cordial critters are nearby. Monster wranglers also learn more abilities in line with the number of monsters you’ve saved.

—Monster wranglers will learn Monster Pile-On once you rescue enough friendly creatures. Save even more monsters to make it deal more damage!

■ More Areas Remade in HD-2D

Dragon Quest III HD-2D Remake is home to all sorts of civilizations and cultures. We’re going to touch on two of them here!

Romaria

A nation home to a magnificent castle, stunning statues, and a town square centered around a fountain. Its king is rumored to be quite the character and seems to have strong ties with Aliahan. Those after some fun should head into the bowels of the castle town to Romaria’s monster arena.

drulP4H.jpeg

—Visiting the monster arena is a beloved Romarian pastime; guests from far afield are more than welcome to join in too!

Mur

A rural village that’s no stranger to snow. Don’t be surprised if you spot an icicle or two hanging from most of the roofs. Mur’s inhabitants are a lively bunch, and it boasts its own market and wharf.

gQTB3uY.jpeg

—Far off the beaten path, Mur rarely has the chance to welcome visitors.

Dragon Quest III HD-2D Remake is due out both physically and digitally for PlayStation 5, Xbox Series, Switch, and PC via Steam and Microsoft Store on November 14 worldwide.

• Like 1

On 9/29/2024 at 3:51 PM, Koby said:

Creator of Dragon Quest Yuji Horii comments on Costume Censorship and Other Changes at TGS2024 Interview:

Compliance and regulations/pressure from the West come up, America especially is mentioned as "really narrow-minded".

"Doing business with such a ridiculous country is really frustrating." adds Former Shonen Jump Editor-in-Chief Kazuhiko Torishima, who was in charge of Dragon Ball.

The clip ends with Horii stating: "In Dragon Quest, you used to be able to choose between a male and female main character. But now, you can't choose between a man and a woman anymore. We have to label them as Type 1 and Type 2. I really wonder, who's even complaining about this?"

He hit the nail on the head. It's the whole reason they lost my purchase (and a few of my friends' too). When they decide to stop bending the knee and catering to this stuff, I'll consider coming back. This one hurts the most of all the woke trash in 2024 to me, but I won't compromise. I'll stick my my NES copies.

Edited by Zemekis
formatting