Top anime from lack of a better word "sequal" that didn't need to exist.

solidgenisis

I was just wondering if anyone else has seen an anime with a reasonable ending that for some unknown reason had an additional season tacked onto it. Mine would probably be Gundam Seed Destiny. After the end of Gundam Seed I enjoyed coming up with an elaborate after story in my head...Only to have it take a shot from GENESIS to the face.

Yes. I too believe Gundam Seed Destiny was pointless. It started off with a slightly revised concept that ended up shadowing the exact same themes as before, the new characters introduced didn't really develop much with a few exceptions, and finally, but most importantly, as the end of the freakin' show after trying to make the series about these new characters they just fell back to the old ones from the first series! They took the spotlight and these new, supposedly different characters, we were learning about got pushed to more of a side story in the second half as Kira and Athrun just dominated everything about the show once again!

Oh well at least we got the Strike Freedom Gundam out of it.

Another classic, or perhaps ultimate example is Dragonball GT.

The story was over. Goku and friends were done. There was no cliffhanger. There were no unresolved conflicts. Sure, the Buu saga did kind of wimped out and went from making Gohan the main character as they spent almost the entire saga building up and instead fell back upon Goku and Vegeta as the ones doing all the fighting. (Ultimate Gohan is still my favorite character of the series.)

But no. GT was just.....well it didn't know who it was. It was trying to be Dragonball with the Z while still offering all the Z action and transformations. Didn't work. Period. New dragonballs, a Tuffle coming back for revenge, and Shadow Dragons? Sounds like fanfiction rather than a new series.