Song selection?

poetictragedy

I'm not even sure if this is the right section for this, but here goes.

Youmacon, the largest anime and gaming convention in Michigan, is having a Youmacon Idol contest this year, and I thought I'd send in an audition recording. However, I need help selecting a song. These are the rules:

• Songs must be in Japanese and less than six minutes in length. Audition songs may be in another language.
  • Printed lyrics may not be used. Vulgar lyrics are not permitted.
  • The background music must be a karaoke version, without main vocals.  You may create your own karaoke version with a vocal remover in a program like Audacity or Adobe Audition if necessary, but must be okayed by Kojika first.
  • Deadline is September 28th.
  • All auditions should be uploaded onto an outside server (ie, ShareFile, RapidShare, or even your own private web server) and e-mailed to Kojika ( [email protected]). Do NOT send your audition as an attachment!
  • With your audition, please include your name, your nickname (if preferred), the song title and artist/series, and your age. If the e-mail you send it from is not the e-mail you wish to be contacted at, please also include the desired e-mail.
  • Singers may audition as duet, but will be counted as one contestant. Only up to 3 duets will be accepted into the contest, so please consider wisely.

I believe songs from anime and games are valid, but I'm not entirely sure. So I'd prefer to go with some sort of J-Pop song or something. But I have no idea where to start looking. I kind of want to do a fun song that I can rock out to, as opposed to doing a slower song, but I'll look at pretty much anything. Specific song ideas would be fantastic, but even artist recommendations would be appreciated.

Edited by poetictragedy

I thought about adding something about my range, but I figured that would only confuse people, haha.

Thanks for the ideas, EO!

I've been going through lists of female Japanese singers trying to find some ideas also. So far I've come up with these possibilities:

• BoA – MOTO
  • Yui – It’s All Right
  • Nana Mizuki – Wild Eyes

I think I like the second two better.

Edited by poetictragedy

• 5 months later...