Anyone think Asuma's super overrated

Knox

Anyone else agree that Asuma was a lackluster character, and the only depth to the story he provided was a little bit of character development for shikamaru? Also, anyone think as a ninja himself he was pretty meh for a jounin let alone someone so high ranked. I dunno, maybe I just hate him and am biased.

I dunno I thought he smoked like a boss and brought some good development to the story. If you think about it he was related to the Kage and supervised the upbringing of three other important character's. He also kept the story going with his relationship with Kuranai and all and oh man I really don't want to talk about spoiler's. Sorry dude I don't want to give away anything to people who haven't gotten that far in the story. But, bottom line I'd wouldn't describe him as overrated. He's like the Lando Calrissian of Naruto.

Asuma was not overrated, not only was he one of the strongest ninja of his time

Hate to say it, but this is wrong... Unless they very recently gave him an incredible power boost, which wouldn't happen for reasons known to those following Shippuden, then this is incorrect. Asuma was powerful, after all he was a jounin. But in comparison to all the other people who were also alive such as the Akatsuki and all the kages, as well as the fact that each village has multiple jounin with more impressive powers, he can't compete.

• Like 1

Asuma was not overrated, not only was he one of the strongest ninja of his time

Hate to say it, but this is wrong... Unless they very recently gave him an incredible power boost, which wouldn't happen for reasons known to those following Shippuden, then this is incorrect. Asuma was powerful, after all he was a jounin. But in comparison to all the other people who were also alive such as the Akatsuki and all the kages, as well as the fact that each village has multiple jounin with more impressive powers, he can't compete.

Asuma was a highly talented jōnin-level shinobi, having even once been part of the Twelve Guardian Ninja — an elite hand-picked team which served to protect the Land of Fire's daimyō, a role which later earned him a bounty of 35,000,000 ryō

During the Invasion of Konoha he was able to kill nine Otogakure ninja — who were noted to have been of of chūnin-level or above — with seemingly very little effort. He could also fight evenly with Hidan: a powerful member of Akatsuki while also protecting his team using his skill set. He also established a great record in military prowess — something which many upcoming shinobi greatly admired.

Asuma (was) one of the strongest ninja of his time. 

Now asuma may be consider weaker than most.  Just Facts...

Edited by JuJu_be

Asuma was a highly talented jōnin-level shinobi, having even once been part of the Twelve Guardian Ninja — an elite hand-picked team which served to protect the Land of Fire's daimyō, a role which later earned him a bounty of 35,000,000 ryō

During the Invasion of Konoha he was able to kill nine Otogakure ninja — who were noted to have been of of chūnin-level or above — with seemingly very little effort. He could also fight evenly with Hidan: a powerful member of Akatsuki while also protecting his team using his skill set. He also established a great record in military prowess — something which many upcoming shinobi greatly admired.

Just to attempt to back up my points. Although Narutopedia does try to make him sound impressive, little things in the show prove these to be smaller feats than it sounds.

First off, the Twelve Guardian Ninja decided to form the group, they were not hand picked. They decided that the Fire Lord was important so banded together to protect him. They may have all been jounin, but not special elite super humans picked to defend him.

For your second point, he was able to beat the nine Sound ninja chuunins. However, looking at Gai and Kekashi's scores in the 20's without having to ambush, this is less impressive.

Finally, Hidan was the weakest member of the Akatsuki. His only real power was not dying, and Asuma lost to him without even inflicting any serious harm. So he was able to match Hidan until Hidan actually used something besides taijutsu.

So you did make some nice points, but if we compare Asuma to the other jounin, he is barely stronger than Kurenai.

• Like 1