[request] How to do Renders?

Dae314

I've actually done some googleing about this topic, but I can't really find a good written tutorial for this because of how vague the word is (a lot of the results have to do with graphics rendering) and how diverse the techniques are. I'm asking the art department here for basically a "how-to" on extracting images (mostly characters) from their backgrounds cleanly. I've tried to do some renders myself, but I feel like my method is very inefficient because I have 0 image manipulation experience. The technique I used is pretty much the eraser technique where I manually erase around the image until it's background is satisfactorily erased and its outline is at least mostly intact. That's actually the technique I used to render the girl in my sig which is why her outline is so uneven. I basically want to know this so I can cut out my own characters if I want to ask someone to make a sig background for me.

I've seen methods which involve cutting the image out using a lasso tool or some other selector tool that can do short line segments, I've seen complex methods where people try to lay masks/idk what over the image and extract the character out (over my head :P), and I've seen methods using the magic wand (doesn't work very well for complex multi-colored backgrounds). I don't have photoshop, so the best image editor I have at my disposal is GIMP. Keep that in mind if you happen to do renders using some feature/addon unique to Ps. I also have no experience doing digital image creation or editing, so please at least explain the terms you use if you must use them :P.

I basically want to know:

1) What are the accepted techniques for getting clean renders?

2) What are the advantages and disadvantages to each technique?

3) What situations are which techniques best applied (e.g. the magic wand technique is fast and easy if the background is a solid color).