Question about making reviews

On 18/05/2016 at 5:30 AM, YoshiEffect said:

Hey guys i wanna start reviewing anime as a video youtuber how would you review an episode to make it not sounding like a recap of that episode

Are you reviewing the series or individual episodes? If individual episodes then talk about why you picked those episodes - what is it you liked about them was it character development or a side to them you don't normally see, a funny joke/pun, epic fight scenes that last several episodes, a good plot twist, art styles, soundtracks etc...

Edited by jessex1990

You need to pick out what the important points of the episode or series and determine how well the work tells its story while making use of what it had.  Things like development, the story, plotting, and pacing, characters, their characterizations, and anything else you consider important, like art design, how well animated it was, the score, etc.  I can't really talk much given how much I tend to spoil in my own reviews, but you might want to keep your reviews as spoiler-free as possible as a way of convincing your audience to watch whatever you're reviewing for themselves.  Plus, if you get into depth as far as what happened, that'd be closer to an analysis than a review.  As you said, it's important to be able to pick out important points of what happened in the show without actually summarizing what happened.  The audience doesn't need to know all the little details of what happens, so if you give those details to them, they're either going to get bored, or end up feeling like they really don't have to watch whatever it was you just reviewed.

Something else you need to think on is how you are going to rate whatever it is you are reviewing.  This is a fairly big part of what makes a review a review as you are summarizing the quality of the work by assigning a value to it.  This can also serve as a method for comparing different works.  Personally I find that to be one of the more difficult aspects to reviewing something, and have something of a nebulous scale of good, so I can't offer you a lot of help there, other than deciding on the scale, and perhaps coming up with something of a unique gimmick to it.  For example, a friend of mine reviewed Star Trek: Enterprise, and he used mini screen-caps of T'Pol's ass that he called "T'Bums" which he used on a scale of 10.  Not necessary by any means, but something to think about.  ;)

• 1 month later...