Japanese Credits Translation Guide (For non-Japanese speakers)

badman

GOALS
1. OCR the word
2. Translate it
3. Properly romanize it
4. Repeat for all words

APPLICATIONS
VLC or MPC-HC
Aegisub
Kanji Tomo (Requires Java)
Notepad

OCR
( X ) Use the zoom feature in Kanji Tomo (at 1.0x) to OCR each character individually. Be careful though, if the character looks wrong, it might be hard to read or simply an uncommon kanji. Keep trying to select it--getting close to the edges usually nets good results.

(Kanji Tomo reads Hiragana, Katakana & most Kanji--although the Kanji it won't recognize are almost all in names, so the rate is a bit skewed here)

( X ) If it still doesn't work, use the drawing tool in Google Translate (Japanese -> English). This sometimes works. Try other things in Google translate, like alternate translations or similar words. (Did you mean "X"?)

( X ) Next up is Google. Search for the characters that did come up--with spaces, without--or try searching for the names in the same category, e.g. if the name is in "Producers" search the other names in that list. You might come to a listing of the staff of that show.

( X ) Keep searching with what you already know, and if all else fails ask for help.
r/translator , /a/ , /m/ , or r/whatevershow might be of help.

TRANSLATION

( X ) Search the un-romanized name in ANN. This usually works.

( X ) Use to Google Translate and Kanji Tomo get their top choices for a romanized name. Google all of them. Then google the kanji name, which might give you their other credits on shows or games. These shows / games might lead to a romanized name. If you don't see the translated name online, they might be in a book like "Patlabor The Movie Archives". If you know their usual job title, and a few possible names, you might find the person.

( X ) Give up, Pick a romanized name from Google Translate or Kanji Tomo

r/translator , /a/ , /m/ , or r/whatevershow might be of help.

Edited by Badman

I'm glad it was helpful. These are my results (It took me a few months on and off to figure out this sort of thing)

Also, when copying from KanjiTomo, you have to use (ctrl + c), you cant right click

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rO-aZDIluXk

Edited by Badman
  • Like 2

I'm glad it was helpful. These are my results (It took me a few months on and off to figure out this sort of thing)

Also, when copying from KanjiTomo, you have to use (ctrl + c), you cant right click

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rO-aZDIluXk

this is pretty cool. looks like some excellent results. definitely will keep this in mind for the future.

Common entries:

ブロデューサー Producers

原作 Original Work

... 「 ... 」 連載 Serialized in " ... " by ...

製作担当 Production Manager

音楽 Music

オーブニングテーマ Opening Theme

エンディングテーマ Ending Theme

作詞 Lyrics

作曲 Composition (Comp)

編集 Arrangement (Edit)

歌 Performance

音楽協力 Music Cooperation

美術デザイン Art & Design

色彩設計 Color Key

キャラクターデザイン Character Design