PAX Machina, a RazoRune Collaboration

Anras Rune

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chapter 16: Return of the King

" Sir! The room is already packed out with media, they're waiting for your address!" said the assistant, running up to Lambert. Lambert sighed. He was slightly surprised that so many journalists had turned up, but this was a big scoop, after all. He nodded and walked towards the room. Suddenly he stopped and turned to Danny and Silas.

" Wait till I send for you," he ordered, curtly, before exiting the room. Danny turned to Silas.

" The boss is pretty serious about this, aint he?"

Silas nodded.

" He seems a bit tense," he added.

" That's to be expected. Last time he gave a public address, he was speaking of his defeat and retirement, which was a very, very tough time for him," interjected Blitz, who had entered the room. Danny nodded.

" Let's just hope that there aren't any problems," sighed Silas.

The room was buzzing with the hum of low conversation. Everybody had heard about Iori's attack on the Armour Squad, and many were contemplating whether they should go to the scene. As Lambert sat down, however, the conversations rapidly faded.

" Hello. Thank you for attending my press conference," he announced. King, his press officer, shot him a quizzical glance as usually it was the press officer who did the introductions. Lambert shook his head to gesture that he was fine.

" Now, I know you have plenty of questions for me, so I have decided that you will all be able to ask me 10 questions. However I can answer in whatever way I like." he stated boldly. He gestured with his hand.

" The floor is yours!" he grinned.

King smiled as the room lapsed into silence. He always has this effect, he thought. A journalist raised his hand. Lambert nodded to him.

" What is your view on the recent attack against the Armour Squad?"

Lambert's grin disappeared, and an expression of confusion crossed his face. Sensing an opening, the journalist pressed on.

" Do you believe that this is Wake's work? Do you feel threatened?"

King lent forward to whisper in Lambert's ear.

The athetes eyes widened. He whispered back.

" Bring the guys in."

He turned to the crowd.

" Forget the questions. The main objective of this conference was to announce the return of the Legatus." he said, slowly and clearly. There were gasps in the crowd. Danny, Silas and Blitz entered. Lambert stood up.

" These three represent the future of this great sport!" he announced.

" Tell everyone and especially the Reapers. The Legatus has returned and with his new team, Vox Rex , we will eliminate everyone in our way, on the path to becoming legends!"

Chapter 17: Patterns

" Tell everyone and especially the Reapers. The Legatus has returned and with his new team, Vox Rex , we will eliminate everyone in our way, on the path to becoming legends!"

"Shut that damn TV off!"

"Touchy, touchy. Seems the Legatus has hit a nerve has he?" said another individual in the background, obviously ladling the comment in sarcasm and comtempt.

"You shut it as well. He could ruin everything!" replied the first speaker, a man in a tailored pinstripe suit, "I mean it, if he decided to reveal some of the things he knows he could easily destroy everything that we have worked for."

"He won't get the chance, the President is going to take care of him. What we really need to worry about is this criminal, Wake" said another unknown person who was sitting near the back of the room.

"Yes, he is dangerous but he doesn't know whats going on. Plus Vonnie seems to be gunning for him at the moment, there's been lots of rumours." narrated the man in the pinstripe suit as he poured himself a glass of water. He sipped it slowly, making the others deliberatly wait for him to finish and gave him a brief respite, "She seems to have grown attached to something, and Wake wants it. Iori has tried as well. So far he has failed, but this was due to 'unforseen' circumstances"

After uttering that final statement someone knocked on the large wooden door, and ending in a dull thudding noise. The people in the room all flinched at the thud, and some were obviously worried. They may have been high ranking members of society and what not but they knew the sound of a body. Two large, burly guards in black Armor came in throught another door and made their way towards the wooden door. They both pulled out a pistol each and readied for what ever came through the door.

"Come out, whoever you are!" they shouted in unison.

The guards were both suddenly shot from throught the door by a pair of high velocity bullets bursted throught their skulls. The only other sound was from a voice on the other side of the door tisking and saying, "Damn amatuers". The owner of the voice kicked the door in, with one of the doors actually coming off the hinge and landing on one of the dead guards. The man in the pinstripe suit saw this and had managed to step back in time to dodge the falling door. He peered throught the dust to see who had barged in, uninvited. He saw it was Vonnie.

____

"So what do you guys think?" said Danny, holding his kriss in one hand, holding a large coffee in the other.

"Not sure, but I think he is telling the truth" replied Silas, also holding his weapon, but his coffee was spilt all over the floor.

"I'll get the Legatus then, you keep him here." said Blitz as he walked off to find Lambert.

Blitz returned with Lambert in under a few minutes and made his way towards the point of interest. It was a person, kneeling on his knees with Razor's blade at his throat and Rune standing right behind him, mace in hand. Lambert smiled when he saw who it was, and knew almost instantly what was going on. He walked directly up to the person and ignored the pair as they began to protest. Lambert spoke to the prisoner,

"Hello Opem..."

Chapter 18: Cunning Plan

Ballard smiled as he saw the T.V report. Everything was going according to his grand plan and this pleased him.

Styx on the other hand, was tense. They were in Ballard's private office. Ballard glanced at Styx.

" Where is Reishin?" he asked. Styx answered, distractedly.

" He should be here any minute now," he replied. Ballard chuckled.

"Why are you so tense? It's me! Lambert has no chance of beating me, in a battle of minds," he boasted. Now Styx laughed.

" You may be smarter than me, but remember who we are discussing. The Legatus is in my opinion, the greatest warrior of recent memory. I am sure that in the future, he will be spoken about in the same way people talk about Hercules or King Arthur. You may be one of the greatest minds of our generation, but only a fool would have your confidence,"

Ballard was surprised. Styx was a lot more insightful then he appeared, but this had always been the case, and was one of the reasons why Ballard believed him to be his best friend.

" You speak of the Legatus in glowing terms. Maybe you think he will beat me?" replied Ballard, in an even voice. Styx burst out laughing.

" Well Ballard, you seem very confident in this master plan of yours and I have seen you triumph against the odds many times in the past. But you never know." he answered.

Suddenly, there was a knock at the door.

" Come in!" called Ballard. The door opened, and Reishin entered.

" Sit down," said Ballard, indicating the chair opposite his desk. Reishin sat down quietly. Among all of the assassins he was the easiest to communicate with.

He was tall, with neat black hair and a muscular build. His calm, easy-going nature didn't make him weaker, in fact he was one of the most feared assassins in the world and he had assassinated some big targets in the past.

He was the Reaper's number one assassin. This, however, did not mean that Styx liked him. The tall athlete refused to even look at him.

" I have a job for you Reishin. However, it is not an assassination." said Ballard. The assassin raised an eyebrow. Ballard continued.

" I want you to steal the power armour of the Legatus" he said, calmly.

Styx gasped.

" Can you do it?" asked Ballard. Reishin nodded.

" Give me two days. You can send the money to the usual account." said the assassin.

Reishin stood up.

" Wait," said Ballard. He opened his desk's drawer, and picked up a small vial. He handed the vial to Reishin.

" Leave the content of that vial at the scene. You may leave."

Reishin nodded and swiftly exited the room.

Styx turned to Ballard.

" What was in that vial?" he asked. Ballard grinned.

" A hair sample," he answered.

" Why?" pressed Styx.

" Well, Lambert will find that hair sample and analyze it. He will find out who it belongs to and a rivalry will begin," he answered. Styx took a deep breath.

" Who's hair is it?"

Ballard laughed.

" It's Firo's!"

• 2 weeks later...

Chapter 19: Theft and Retribuition

Silas and Danny were in the Ludus, training with their respective weapons, honing their skills for the up coming PAXT event. They were going to be in their first internationally broadcasted fight ever. Confidence was obviously needed, but the whole prospect of them fighting live was daunting to say the least.

Razor's skill with his blade had improved more than Lambert thought it would, so much so that on occasion he would spar one on one with him. The fights normally ended in Lambert's favour, but the fights were getting gradually longer and longer. Rune had become a force to be reckoned with, his strength being bolstered by a new found determination. Of course he couldn't compare to the technique possesed by the others, but then again his power and size more than made up for it. Rune was practicing with his newest armament; a large tri barrel gunpod, while Razor was using his special feature, the shield emitter, in a bid to get more out of it's functions.

Both of them heard the strange noise coming from the Legatus's office before they saw the commotion. A high pitched sreeching noise of metal on metal resounded through the compound. It was followed by crashing noise and shouting from inside. The pair stopped what they were doing and watched the window. Even Irish had come out of his workshop and into the courtyard to see what was going on. They could just hear the Legatus shouting at something.

"Damn you, you theiving bastard! Blitz catch him!"

Razor and Rune looked at each other and went to make a break for the entrance, and the stairwell. But before they could move there was another crashing noise, and the sound of gunfire. A few bullets came out the window and howled off into the distance, closely followed by Blitz, who came hurtling out the window, scratches and gashes covering his Armor. He landed heavily on part of the courtyard's surrounding roof, and cracked more than a few tiles in the process. They trio in the courtyard could see the blood beginning to drip down off the roof.

"Irish! Quick! Get me some live rounds!" shouted Rune, being the first to come out of shock. Irish jumped at the sudden exclaimation and ran into his workshop as Rune removed the practice rounds from his gunpod.

Razor entered the code on his HUD to remove his blade's safety features, meaning that it was now field ready, he made his way towards the part of the roof that Blitz had landed on. He jumped up, reaching the roof quite easily, and bent down to check Blitz's vitals. They weren't good, he was bleeding profusely and his breathing was shallow and laboured. Razor pressed the emergency button on Blitz' Armor's external interface, and watched as medi-foam filled the holes in the Armor, closing off the wounds underneath from the outside and infection. He looked up to see what was going on in the office.

He could see Lambert in his office, slumped against a chair with a wound on his ribs, but he couldn't see if it was serious. As he wasn't wearing his Armor Razor couldn't raise him on a channel. He didn't notice the other person in the room for another few seconds. This second individual was wearing a standard PA, grey in colour with khaki accents. It looked like a base model, from any of the major suppliers, which was bad news. It meant that he was anonymous, and the only way to find out who he was, was by taking him down. The anonymous PA user seemed to finally find what he was looking for and reached up to grab it. He pulled down Lambert's Armor, even in it's storage mode it was unmistakable. The gold and red accents on the silver metal gave the famed warrior an almost regal air on the battlefield and it's storage mode demanded just as much respect.

"He is going for the Legate Armor!" Razor gasped, moving into a more defensable position as he saw the assailant move towards the window.

Irish came out of the workshop just as the thief leaped out of the window and landed in front of Razor. He saw the scene and couldn't help noticing the odd resemblance to the old ninja movies. He would have laughed had it not been for the seriousness of the situtation. He threw the live round box he had in his hand at Rune and donned his PA, readying his rifle to shoot the thief. The thief pulled out a small sword, akin to a trench knife but bigger, and began to run towards Razor, who braced himself for impact. Rune had managed to get the live rounds loaded and rady but couldn't shoot without fear of hitting Razor and Blitz.

The thief ran straight at Razor and raised his blade. Razor did the same and began to charge at him as well. The pair looked like they were going to collide ful tilt, but at the last moment the thief threw the trench knife, making Razor flinch away and deflect the oncoming blade. At this, the thief did a jump and flip up and over Razor, landing perfectly, despite the slippery tiles. Razors mommentum carried him on another few metres before he could turn, but by then it was too late. The thief passed Blitz at speed and got roughly 10 metres further before Rune opened fire. His tribarrel saturated the entire roof with a hail of bullets, but none seemed to connect with the assailant. The bullets seemed to trail just behind him, as Rune couldn't turn fast enought to keep up with him. Irish had opened fire, but the larger calibre rifle was slow to reload and bolt action, making it almost impossible to hit him.

The roof was wrecked by the time Razor started running after him. The thief reached the end of the roof and leaped again, this time reaching the outer wall, but instead of stopping he just kicked off and carrired on in the air. The pair still in the courtyard couldn't see him land, and neither could Razor. Razor reached the end of the roof ad carried on like the thief, but was a good few seconds behind him. By the time he landed on the ground outside the thief was nowhere to be found. He swore and threw his kriss into the soil point first. He stood there for a few seconds before being told to get back and help the wounded.

_____

"It is done." commented Reishin coldly

"The 'evidence' has been planted?" asked Ballard

"Yes, it is scattered over the scene, he will surely find it."

"Any casualties?"

"Lambert has a broken rib, and his young one will survive, if he is strong enough"

"Good, the payment will be made to the usual account" said Ballard finally as he dismissed Reishin. He had more important issues, like the piece of equipment lying on his desk. The Legate Armor truly was majestic...