• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think this should be live action

just look at what happened to dragon ball z

And that was from fox

That's Dragon Ball Z movie is ok to me but yes, they should've have improve that movie. And well, I don't know about the Cowboy Bebep live movie, it's like if somebody the fan of the Matrix especially Keanu Reeves or Neo played by Keanu Reeves I guess. I don't know.

• 2 weeks later...

Why do they have to ruin a perfectly good show? I hate Hollywood remakes of Japanese movies - they always change things that they feel are "too confusing to American audiences" just so they can sell more tickets. People in Japan can watch an American movie and not feel "confused" can't they?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

What's with all the bad rap on Keanu? Sure he has no personality, but damn, he fits the bill well.

Having Keanu on board is the best thing that can happen. From what I've heard, he's quite a fan of the show, and will do it justice if it goes ahead. This wouldn't be a half arsed remake like Dragonball.

Besides, Keanu knows basic martial arts, and he looks the part. I'd say he's perfect for the role.

Hope he doesn't get too old for it by the time it goes ahead.

Well, I just came back from watching a rather painfull live-action adaptation of gantz, so yeah I'm still waiting to see what comes up... truth be told, I dont think I ever saw a live-action that didn't suck, and I've seen a fair share by now. But yeah, maybe Keanu can flip it, he's a good actor and perfect for the job.

Cowboy Bebop is one of my favorite series and has greatly informed my taste in film and television ever since. Call me a purist fanboy, but I just plain don't think this should be done. The show worked as an anime. It was a strange, but delicate, mix of American style film noir (the coloring, characters, dodgy ethics, gunplay, are all very classic noir) and straight anime (martial arts, futuristic setting and technology, art style). Unlike the film noir genre (which is really more of a style than a genre to be honest), anime is a medium and as such doesn't transfer well (for the same reason you don't write a book as a painting, it's just a different medium). I think there are just too many element of Bebop to really translate to film. You could remove some of the anime vibe but then you'll end up with Blade Runner (at mind blowing best), not Cowboy Bebop. Honestly, I think the story was told, and beautifully so, as an anime, and I'm not sure why it should be retold (making The Last Airbender didn't make Avatar any better). Unless there is a legitimate reason that this movie will be better than the series, or, at the very least, show us a different side of the story, it should not be made. A simple rehash wouldn't add anything, and it should not be done.

So with my inner artist/fanboy subdued, on to the facts of the case. I've been hearing about this for years (I want to say rumors have been circling for five or so). It seems to be, when rumors have been around for so long, that things just aren't going to come together and it'll end as it started; a nice idea with no drive behind it. Not that it won't happen, just that I'd be very surprised considering how long it's been.

As for Keanu, hate him for it. He's not a bad actor, I really don't think so. I liked him as Neo. Even when he was a blank face he had this curiosity about him that made it work (even though that evolves throughout the trilogy). He does not, however, have the death wish of Spike Spiegel. Both characters are very stoic, very subdued, but their motivations are very different. Neo by his curiosity and duty, and Spike by his dark past and his quest for redemption. Very different, and I don't think Keanu could play that, especially considering how subtle it was in the show. Also, there would be producers all over that screenwriter poking him to try and make it less subtle (Ah, the war for subtext, writer vs producer. Round five million and eighteen).

As for the script, a draft was written, and was turned down do to budget, but another version was requested, so it's still a possibility. I highly doubt it will come together, but it could happen. I don't see why this is really worth the money to be honest. As a story, it would probably tank at the box office (it could be cult, but wouldn't make budget. Look at comparable movies and you'll see what I mean). As a star, Reeves is old news and would likely be a death sentence. Think Michael Cera in Scott Pilgrim. Great movie, great role for Cera, problem is, nobody likes the kid after his other movies. The one possible redeeming factor is that it's an existing property with a built-in audience and Hollywood is hot for that (they made a Green Hornet movie for god's sake, when was the last time anybody mentioned him around the dinner table?), and it's an old and slightly obscure property at that (think, I dunno, Green Hornet or Scott Pilgrim for comparison). Honestly, this movie doesn't have enough to warrant the money it would cost. People won't go and see it just because it was influential back in the day (Think Watchmen, probably one of the best comparisons I can think of. Deep story, strange tech, rabid fanbase, and it turned people off after week one).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I seriously doubt they'll make it as the project pretty much seems dead according to wikipedia:

It was originally slated for release in 2011, but problems with the budget have delayed its production. The script that was submitted was sent back for rewrite to reduce the cost and little has been heard about it since an interview with producer Joshua Long on October 15, 2010.

That's almost a whole year with no word about it. It'll probably either be in development hell for at least a year or two, or be canceled all together.

1.Keanu is an actual cowboy bebop fan, 2.he is the one trying to make this happen, 3.he is dedicated and did his own stunts in the Matrix(some of the best stunts in movies out there not from a stunt double), 4.he has worked with the wachowski brothers who are some of the only people that can bring anime to life. 5.He looks just like him! if anyone else played him this would turn out like another DragonBall evolution where the actor and director have no idea what they are doing,have never heard of the series and have no idea what source material to use.if he and the Wachowskis worked together this movie would be perfect or at least not a failure.there is not another actor who resembles spike,who has worked on anime style action,who will commit, and who would have ever heard of cowboy bebop.the only real problem here is that hes getting old since they are taking so long.he says this himself.hope someone actually reads all that.lol

• 3 weeks later...

I think that another cowboy bebop movie would be great expecially if it was made like the other but if its going to be live action and if keanu is going to be spike its not going to work out good... it would be like that dragon ball live action movie all over again, a terror... if anything i would make him shave his head make him work out a bit and be the bald guy, and thats being generous.

• 5 years later...