James Bond VS. Jason Bourne

Nero D. Ace

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've really had only the movie experience concerning both.

Well, Bond is meant to be something more like Batman: A powerful hero that relies on tools, technology, wit, tricks, and intelligence to get things done, instead of having natural or trained/developed physical abilities (Superman-like).

I think Bond would appeal to those non-brawny, non-athletic, even desk-job employees, who could only dream of a life of adventure, with beautiful babes waiting to be rescued from the twisted, mad, often even gruesomely ugly bad-guys. As Bond, you don't need to have Arnold's muscles to kick ass and blow things up. The only thing fake I see about Bond is that the technology featured won't be around for quite a while yet, and there are no big evil bad guys that are publicly known. Of course, lots and LOTS of luck and coincidence comes into play.

Bourne is the trained Navy Seal or Special/Secret Operations type, with brawn, instinct, training, skill, secrecy, planning, improvisation, etc. being first-nature to him. Much more possible, but the situations are nevertheless unlikely. Do you honestly think real life secret agent stories are really so action-packed, frenzied and threatening? Do you really think someone can actually escape from virtually any situation (many, possibly; any, no)? Have you heard of any such situations, at least about gunfights in public and such, especially as often as they're supposed to happen in the stories? In essence, it's possible, but improbable, and you are probably not capable of it (if you had Bond's gadgets and just a little training and cleverness, and lots of luck, you could just be capable of pulling everything off).

Also, the Bourne movies were filmed by spastic, epileptic drunkards that were only barely paying attention to filming (also known as that "realism" type of filming with a handy-cam without any motion stabilization). So I might be a little biased against Bourne after the extreme dizziness, nausea, and vomiting after trying with all my will to watch one or two of them the whole way through.

As a side note, I also think Bond is much more evil than any of the evil villains he's fought. Consider that the evil villains just leave Bond to die later through some evil device, giving Bond plenty of time to think and escape while no one is looking. Bond then viciously kills the "evil" villain in such excruciating ways that the villains could never even imagine.

My vote is Bond ... it's much funner to be Bond, even if it's much more difficult to pull off without dying in real life (especially without enough good tech). Realism is way overrated.