Spamming?

Anooxy

Do you mean this?

"although having longer posts would help mitigate the spammy feeling"

What I mean by this is that for some, having to type out a little more means they have to think a little more. It is, by no means, a cure-all, or even a good suggestion for all people. In one forum I have been to, they had a requirement that all posts contain at least four sentences--because they wanted to see that people put some thought into their posts and that people were putting out some effort into continuing a discussion.

I would not suggest that everyone started posting like me. Mujklob, as an example, tends to be terse, but he is not a spammer. I wish I were able to be as concise, but I'm not. What I can say in a couple hundred words, he could say in maybe thirty--fifty, if he feels a little adventurous. (=P) I envy that others are able to do that, but I hold no hatred for them, just as I hope they hold no hatred for my writing style.

Length is not the only way to identify spam. Earlier in FM's life, around the first month Muj had joined (I think, correct me if I'm wrong, Mikey), he posted an entire Wikipedia article on toilets or some such nonsense. Was it spam? You bet. Why? Because it didn't add constructively to the topic. Had he only linked it, it would have been overlooked and not seen as spam (so long as he had other things to say about it and didn't just post a link).

What, because I admire their rules? The rules I have written for this forum have been drawn from the many rules and guidelines that I have read at many fora. As such, you believe that it was stolen? Many fora have similar rules--they agree that certain behaviour is acceptable and certain behaviour is not. I have never seen a forum admin get upset about one forum using the same rules as they were.

Keyword there: Almost

This indicates difference, therefore they aint the same, now are they?

Listen. I'm a mod, and I made my decision. :| I'm sticking to it.

Spam = Stupid. Pointless. Annoying. Messages.

Most of Luneth's posts are: Pointless.

Saying I agree isn't adding to a topic unless he states WHY he is agreeing.

This is why your annoying me. It's a Moderators DECISION to warn or such for spamming. I warned him verbally, quite a few times. Then he continued to ignore me and post: Stupid-Pointless-Annoying-Messages.

One sentence posts are the majority of his posts I'm sure. I could care less about postcounts. What I care about is stopping spam and keeping this forum going, all his one line posts are doing is hurting this place.

Edit: Yeah, mine are pointless? How come I'm a moderator and I've contributed to this place by not spamming, and keeping a leash on spammers? Yeah. Quit looking the victim. All this is is you got all defensive about someone calling you a spammer, it's the truth. :|

Well, you are insulting now, I'm Dyslexic and you can't just say things like that about my Dyslexic Posts!

I can, your expected not to spam here, regardless of your position. Don't think we're going to just let you get away with what you want, all because you have Dyslexia. It's a silly excuse and won't work. I know people with disabilities online, and they don't spam. Hell, one of them is a moderator at another forum iirc.

Normal users also should not care about the "SPAMs' of others. It's Mods job.

I'm not going to say whether or not the users should care about the 'spam of others' but it's not bad if they do care. It shows they care about the forum. It's only the moderator's job to take care of it, if it should be deleted or if any warnings or punishments need to be dealt out.

A member pointing out when another user does something wrong, stupid, or annoying is fine. The problem is when they do it in a hateful way, or do so in a manner that they think they have more authority over the other person, when in reality they don't. That's backseat moderating.

Ok, Ok, lets [sic] just forget about all of this stuff about spamming [...] and lets [sic] look into the future [of the] forum and [...] stop agruing like little children and grow up and stop with the nonsense that we have caused to this forum,ok? [sic]

I agree that this isn't a big deal, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be discussed. I think this is actually one of the first posts I've seen of yours that is relevant to the topic. Congratulations.

And if he says "Yeah I agrre [sic] with you" that is not spam. Actually I can't think of another way to say someone agrees with another person.

I disagree with you. If I stopped there, that would be spam. It has no meaning, no explanation, and it doesn't contribute to the topic at hand. Yes, you can state whether or not you agree with them, but please explain why. Go into at least some detail as to why you (dis)agree with them, and in specific which parts of their posts that you (dis)agree with.

WTF, I can't hear you, its [sic] a forum,, [sic] you can only read what you have said, do you understand me?

I think you're the one who seems to either be misunderstanding figurative language, EO herself, and/or you're only hearing what you want to hear, id est, you're filtering the parts of the post that disagree with you and can't admit where you're wrong.

Make yourself not wordy so I can quote all your posts. That would be a better rule, eh?

No, it would not be a better rule.

That quote problem you're talking about is silly. As for SPAM, if being "wordy" is the key of not spamming then you're definetely wrong.

Indeed. But it's not just about being wordy. Let your posts go into some detail.

'I Agree' is spam.

'I agree with you on this issue because [insert reason here]. I disagree with you on this issue because [insert reason here].' is not spam.

Earlier in FM's life, around the first month Muj had joined (I think, correct me if I'm wrong, Mikey), he posted an entire Wikipedia article on toilets or some such nonsense.

It was sometime around there. I also recall posting an entire Wikipedia article on muffins as well. Quite ironic that we ended up getting cracked by them.

Seeing your relationship with Luneth I'm not expecting you to say he's not spamming.

We all seem to agree that Luneth is spamming. I have no relation to him whatsoever, and hold no bias towards him.

Well, you are insulting now, I'm Dyslexic and you can't just say things like that about my Dyslexic Posts!

The issue isn't really spelling or grammar (Shinji has horrible grammar, yet I've never seen him spam, and he makes a great moderator), any idiot can run their words through a spellchecker. The issue is your ability to reason and post something constructive. Put some thought into your post. Ask yoruself a few questions about whether the post will contribute to the forum before hitting the 'Submit Reply' button. And if you're doing it for the post count, I've already let you know bluntly: nobody gives a damn about your post count.

Linoud, I request that you close this topic. Please.

Hehe..

Sorry Linoud; I wanted to input my 2 or 3 cents. Don't hate on me! LOL.

Leneth, we are not picking on you, we just want to help you to make more qualified posts so that the forum may be a better community for everyone. You do have to admit you spam, whether or not you mean to. We aren't saying to stop posting, we are just trying to say to make your posts have meaning... to post if you feel you have something to contribute... and not just so you can say you have a high post count or posted everywhere.

Please understand this and everything will be alright.

Meh.. Have fun.