IT IS!

When you say:

"Well, this is my last Post in this Thread, because I'm now going to do something on my Forum!"

It has absolutely NOTHING to do with this thread. Don't spam. Most of your posts by now are probably spam.

Please, unless it's more than 1 or 2 sentences, refrain from posting. And keep on topic. :|

You don't seem to be getting my point Luneth..

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's also spam.

Ahaha.

Anyway, I understand that it's difficult to discern whether something will be seen as spam or not. Having more than two sentences is a start, but don't be afraid to go above and beyond. =P A forum isn't like a chat room or like a conversation in real life--you have time to think about what you're saying, and you don't have to respond immediately lest it becomes forgotten or old. Don't feel like you have to respond to everything.

In case the topic isn't clear (I'm very great at inspiring tl;dr):

This place is dying. [Y/N]

The old days were great. [Y/N]

Let's start over. [Y/N]

When things get busy again, there needs to be more than one person who is in overall control of the forum. [Y/N]

Other comments (in five hundred words or more, both in English and Esperanto):

Print out, fill out, and mail it to me, with cookies attached. No oatmeal, please.

=D

Anyway, I suppose the topic about is mainly about starting over (not entirely--stuff like rules and forum descriptions just need to be rewritten), but if anyone else has anything to reminisce about, that'd be great too.

Yes it is. Alot of them don't particularly contribute to the topics.

In a debate for instance:

"Yeah I agree with you."

Thats all, that is spam.

If he provided a more insightful look into his views and posted about 5 sentences, yeah he'd get away with it.

You two just added two more posts which have nothing to do with the topic. >_>. We get it, he's spamming, and he's oblivious to it.

[...] but if anyone else has anything to reminisce about, that'd be great too.

I say yes to all four question of course.

And some things:

• At least three of the topsites/affiliates buttons are broken. It's irritating me.
    As well, I believe there is a '»' missing on the far right if the links are to be symmetrical.
  • Obviously, the arcade doesn't work. I miss it.
  • I bought a mythril sword in the RPG. It deducted 1300 Gil and didn't give me my sword.
  • The welcoming header is annoying; it's displayed on every single page and doesn't tell me anything that could be remotely useful.
  • Is the forum markers legend at the bottom of the index page meant for those with the intelligence of a rock?
    It's not needed or wanted and should be removed. It'll shorten the length of the index page, which is great.

EDIT:

Almenaŭ tri de la topsites/filio butonoj estas rompita. Estas ĉagren mi. ankaŭ, Mi kredas estas '»' perdiĝanta sur la ekstrema dekstrularo se la ligoj estas ..otaj simetria. Evidente, la arkaĵejo ne sukcesas. Mi maltrafas ĝin. Mi aĉetis mythril glavon en la RPG. Ĝi dekalkulis 1300 Gil kaj ne don mi mia glavo. La bonveniganta titolon estas ĝen; estas montr sur ĉiu ... senescepte paĝo kaj ne dir al mi io tio, ke povus esti demalproksime utila. estas la forumo signoj legendo ĉe la malsupro de la indekso paĝo signifis por tiuj kiuj havas la strategiajn informojn de roko? ne estas bezon aŭ vol (ke) kaj devus esti forigita. Ĝi mallongigos la longecon de la indekso paĝo, kiu estas granda.

Encl. http://xs117.xs.to/xs117/07296/cookies.jpg

Sincerely,

Mujklob

I agree the header needs to be gone and reserved for things that need to be announced. Or just... not be there all the time. It wouldn't be an issue if it was a small thing in the corner like this

uftuyuiytdeuy.jpg

but it's not.

And getting rid of a few sections of the forum would shorten the length of the index page as well. <.< I was thinking the legend would be useful for people who have never been on a forum in their life and are incapable of looking at post dates and times. You never know.

You losing money is clearly a sign that the RPG is lame and we all must resort to RP. Obviously. Of course, I would have nothing to do with it because orchestrating battles is lame, but that's irrelevant.

(Also, you didn't make your other comments in Esperanto! And where are my cookies! And it's probably too short!)

Hmm.

I'm not sure about the 'Forgotten Network' forums. I don't understand the idea of Koby and a few select others running so many sites by themselves, but eh. They all seem to be ghost towns and I think these sites aren't large enough to warrant their own forums. If we must have these, can't all the news be done in one Forgotten Network forum? Perhaps this forum can then be put as a sub-forum under Broadcast Station or something.

The General category is fine. For Gaming, in the Final Fantasy section, Final Fantasy XI seems to be rather unpopular with only two topics in it. I say fuse it into the Final Fantasy Modern forum. (In my resolution, this would decrease the number of lines that the sub-forums take up from two to one, making the forum template appear less distorted.) The Grandia and Shadow Hearts forums seem to be a quite unpopular. (I've never actually seen these games on shelves in any store, ever, yet alone seen a screen shot or played one of them.) I think they should either be combined, removed, or they can go into sub-forums under an 'Other' RPGs forum.

A few of the forums could use better names, but it doesn't matter that much.

So. This would remove seven forums add one. Excluding sub-forums, this would be three less on the index page.

= x = Denotes category

-- x Denotes forum

---> x Denotes sub-forum

= Shinra Headquarters =

-- Broadcast Station

---> Contest Corner

---> Forgotten Memories Network

-- Assistance

-- SeeD Hallway

= General Forums =

-- Balamb Cafe'

---> Rant and Rave

-- Entertainment

-- Mako Reactor

-- Anime Network

= Gaming =

-- Final Fantasy

---> Final Fantasy Classics

---> Final Fantasy Modern

---> Spira's Only Hope*

---> Ivalice Alliance*

---> Fabula Nova Crystallis*

-- Kingdom Hearts

-- Other RPGs

---> Grandia

---> Shadow Hearts

-- General Gaming

= Graphics & Web Design =

-- Web Design

---> Advertise

-- Requests

-- Showcase

-- Graphics Arena

= Tantalus Hideout =

-- Alexandria Inn

-- Art and Literature

-- Forum Games

-- The Farplane

* Denotes rather pointless forum.

I'm thinking the anime section can go under entertainment (or omitted entirely >.>), and the contest area moved up into the headquarters section.

(Leaving threads need to be booted one or another from the introduction area.)

I don't really understand the organisation of the subfora for the FF games. I understand the "classics" bit. I understand the "modern" bit. But why aren't X and X-2 included under modern? And who cares about XI? <.< (It's not like there are a lot of subfora, though. On S2C they have twelve subfora in one section--one for each EP of the game, which makes no sense because no one talks in them any more, and a couple for common threads and such.)

I could've sworn the section for requests used to be a subforum, but my memory is shaky. Regardless, I think it could be a subforum.

Well, if I had it my way, Final Fantasy would only have two sub-forums, I guess, but I don't think Koby would go for that. We are indeed quite Final Fantasy-oriented, but I guess, all the new stuff is lame.

The anime section seems to be almost as popular (thread wise) as Entertainment. It doesn't matter to me where it goes. I agree with moving the Contest Corner. And most certainly, no leaving threads allowed.

And I think Graphics Arena would do a better job as a sub-forum than requests, it seems the least popular.

No! XII is not lame! =o

I don't really think much on giving the newest FF games (and related games apparently) their own subfora, but once XIII comes out, XII and whatever is related to it can be dumped into the "modern" section.

Or the Graphics Arena could be moved under contests, and the requests be moved under Showcase, leaving two sections under the Graphics & Web Design area. And two is a nice number.

---

ETA: Whee, I rewrote my rules. Formatting takes forever~~~

---

General Forum Etiquette

• Do not be a backseat moderator.
    • Assuming the role of a moderator may result in threads being inundated with off-topic replies and/or generate an argument.

[*]Be courteous to other users.

[*]If you have personal issues with a member, you may block them. (User CP > Miscellaneous > Buddy/Ignore Lists)

Posting

• Post in English. If you wish to post in a language other than English, a translation to English is required.
  • If your post is deemed illegible or otherwise done in an inappropriate manner, you may be asked to retype your post so it is readable or not quite as annoying.
    • sTiCkY cApS, l33t5p34k, chtspk, ALL CAPS, excessive punctuation!!!!!!1!!!!1!!!!!!!!!, inappropriate use of formatting, :(:(:( excessive ;););) smilies :):):) are but a few examples of what may make your post illegible or inappropriate.

[*]All content must be appropriate for users aged thirteen and older.

[*]Do not spam.

• This generally refers to posts that are useless (up to the discretion of the staff) or meant to incite fights. (Don't feed the trolls.)
    • Posts that contain only a link and no description are considered spam. You must give a brief summary or description of the website linked.
    • Do not double post or bump threads.
      • It is understood that a post may be posted twice by accident—members are asked to edit the redundant post to make it clear it was accidental.

[*]Do not post a reply that only states “I [dis]agree” or something similar that does not add constructively to the conversation—users are encouraged to explain their opinions.

[*]Unless there is something constructive to add to a thread, do not revive it if it has been inactive for a month (30 days).

[*]Do not post duplicate threads.

• Do a search of the forum before posting a thread to ensure it is not a duplication of another thread. It is always better to post in an established thread than to start a new one.

[*]Do not quote large blocks of text. Only quote the relevant parts and respond to them, with the quote on top of your response. (This is considered bottom posting and maintains the timeline of the thread.)

• If responding to multiple parts of a post, multiple quotes, with your responses underneath each one, are permitted. (This is inline posting, an extension of bottom posting.)
    • The quote(s) should not be longer than what you have to say. People have already read what you are quoting—they don’t need to read it again and would rather read something new.

[*]Do not advertise your site/forum outside of your signature, the Advertising section of the forum, and your forum profile.

Personal Messages (PM)

• All forum rules apply to the personal messaging system.

Signatures and Avatars

• All images, text, and links in a signature or avatar are to be appropriate for users aged thirteen and older.
    • Inappropriate sites include, but is not limited to, sites that have adult content, sites that bombard users with pop-ups, and non-satire sites that provide false information.

[*]The combined sizes of signature images and text must not exceed 300 pixels in height and 500 pixels in width.

Reporting Infractions

• Users are encouraged to report all infractions to members of staff using the report button or a PM.
    • Reports done by posts or threads may be ignored or deleted. Refer to the first rule of “General Forum Etiquette”.

[*]In the case of an infraction taking place in a PM, a copy or screenshot of the offending PM must be sent to a member of staff to ensure validity of the report.

[*]False reports may result in punishment for the member who submitted the erroneous reports.

Punishment

• Rule breaking will result in appropriate punishment.
    • This may include loss of posting privileges, signature and avatar privileges, deletion or editing of posts/threads/avatars/signatures, suspension, being put on a moderation queue, or a ban.
    • Evading punishment may result in an IP ban.

[*]Serious infractions may result in a ban/IP ban without prior notice to the user.

Staff Rights

• If instructed by staff to do something, you are to comply. Failure to comply with a moderator’s instructions will result in the proper punishment.
  • In the absence of a specific rule concerning a topic not covered above, members of staff have the right and responsibility to judge the situation and act accordingly.
    • Interpretation of the rules (exempli gratia, what constitutes an advertisement, a flame, or spam) is to the discretion of the staff.

[*]These rules are subject to change at any time with or without notification to the members. It is the responsibility of the user to read and understand these rules before participating in the forum.

---

Okay, so if you noticed any errors in spelling or conventions, or have issue with the style (prefer constant use or non-use of contractions or something), please tell me because I'm sick of looking at it. If you notice that a rule that doesn't make any sense, is in conflict with another rule, is non-essential, should be moved, or whatever else you might have to say, say it. NOW. I need people to take an axe to the rules, please.

(I'm not really set on keeping the ridiculous formatting in the rules, so I won't be hurt if no one likes it. XD)

---

I would also like to ask how people feel about topics. There are two ways of going about this that I have seen, and I have no issue with either way.

One would be to be very strict about threads remaining on the topic set in the first post. If another discussion begins in the thread due to a very tempting segue, the thread is usually split to prevent a thread from being too large and unwieldy. This is, more or less, what has been the rule for FM.

Another would allow topics to flow as conversations IRL do--while a topic may be set in the first post, by the third page the topic may have changed because a segue was taken. Of course, completely out of the blue posts are looked down upon, but straying off-topic is not seen as a bad thing as long as the proper segue was taken. They never split topics, so topics can get very large very quickly, and are off-putting to users who have never read the thread and haven't got three hours to spend reading the thread.

So, what are your thoughts on this?

I prefer being allowed to take the segues, but I don't want to see threads that are twenty pages long and go through a plethora of topics. I don't think people should be punished for straying off-topic if it as done naturally--just split the thread (if the segue taken starts to overcome the original topic) to avoid creating unwieldy threads. Of course, users should still be punished for being radically off-topic--e.g., in a thread about dogs, in which no proper segue exists, the user suddenly decides to talk about the one time they got drunk and nearly drove off a cliff.

But that's just me.

Eh, what can I say? Hehe.. FM always goes inactive when I go inactive for some reason.

I guess alot of the reason is alot of the activity comes from me posting new topics that are worth posting in and alot of the people come around because they are my friends? Though I could just be thinking too much of myself or friends.. LOL

A restart might be a good idea.. but damn.. we have had tons of restarts. I think we should hold off on it until I could get around to being around more again. I dunno.. not much has been happening on FM lately.

As for a second.. there has always been Koga.. Where has he been anyways? Kametsu shares this forum and he is part owner of Kametsu.. =P

Muj about what you said:

Topsites button broke because Oritsuru shut theirs down, FFnet started over with a new topsite, and I don't know why FFskies isn't working. But yes I need to remove the broken ones.

But whats wrong with the Arcade? It works for me.

Check your inventory.. perhaps you owned an equipped weapon so it sent your new one there.

Yes, agreed.. But those were temp text for the welcome headers. Something significant will be put there eventually. =P

Forum Markers Legend is just something that is part of the forum software and significantly this skin.

Graphics Arena is only inactive for now since the forum itself has been rather inactive and almost all graphical users are gone. However it was once one of the most used boards, and hopefully will be again one day.

The newer ff games have their own sub-forum atleast for now because they are for the most part talked about more since they are more recent. When they die down they may get removed.. who knows.

The other sites may eventually close or something. They were meant to be bigger, more staff, etc... but in the end its only been me on them.. so like FM they are almost Ghostly and thus the Forgotten Network board is pretty inactive. =P

I have highly thought about alot of stuff lately. I've lost interest in the internet more then I have ever in the past. And to be honest at the moment I wouldn't have much regret if I just shut everything down. I'd eventually open a new site (only ONE). But I really can't be bothered to do so. I don't want to get rid of FM. =P

I'll revive us.. soon!

For the arcade, I receive an error message 'I'm currently working on the arcade, such as installing new games. Please check back later.' Did you happen to turn the arcade on for only a few usergroups or something? It has been like that since a week after you added the arcade if I recall correctly.

As for the sword, oh wow. I'm blind. Thanks for pointing that out.

The newer ff [sic] games have their own sub-forum atleast [sic] for now because they are for the most part talked about more since they are more recent. When they die down they may get removed.. who knows.

Well, the Final Fantasy XI forum only has two topics in it. I really don't think this makes it deserve its own sub-forum. The others have significantly more topics (11-15), which is why I left them there in my organization.

The other sites may eventually close or something. They were meant to be bigger, more staff, etc. [...]

I don't think that would ever work. You would have to have a phenomenal amount of members to keep all those boards running well. It would be a miracle. And I think that miracle would be better used at just FM itself. :-P

I've lost interest in the internet more then I have ever in the past. And to be honest at the moment I wouldn't have much regret if I just shut everything down. [...] I don't want to get rid of FM. =P

EO's post got me motivated, how come it didn't work for you? Did you even read it all? :-)

I don't think the 'inappropriate use of formatting' has to be so large. Maybe size 4 will do. Also, 'It’s best to avoid these things.' under the backseat moderating bullet sounds a little too casual. You could take it out and gain a line of space.

The rest looks great. Nice stuff.

I would rather be able to go somewhat off topic to the discussion than not at all. Going so far off topic should be prohibited yes, but as long as it doesn't start argument or switch the direction of the thread, I don't think it matters. Leave it up to the moderators, I say.

Mujklob, stop Quote Spamming, its pointless and stupid now, as i can see what you have posted, its seem pointless to post that many quotes into your reply and that counts as spam(Stupid Pointless Annoying Messeges)!

Well anyway, lets talk about FM, it is getting old every day and becomes more and more inactive as the Members of Staff become inactive!

I squished it down to four but it seemed to have lost its effect. Maybe five? It's at five now. And my teachers always did say I should avoid personal comments when I write things. >.> I try so hard. =P

Don't close FM! =o I have no idea what goes on in the other sites that you have because I've never been curious enough to look, but whatever they do, they can come to FM and play here instead. >=( I'm not pushing too hard for a restart--a heavy-duty cleaning would do just as well. Restarting just seems easier and I like the feeling of a clean slate.

I agree, the Internet has been getting boring--that's why I want FM to have the energy and fun it used to have. A few people on the other fora are reminiscing about the days of yore, of when the forum was younger. They used to have a lot of energy, a lot of activity going on in the forum--now they just seem old, tired, and apathetic about everything.

And I'm not old! Damn it, I am not old! The people of the other fora may be content with just thinking about the days of old, but I'm not. >=(

Koby, I'm here. Been busy job hunting, working, looking for scholarships, getting my car fixed....etc. I haven't abandoned FM and will try to get around to updating the Kametsu site sometime this week.

@Luneth: I just PMed you yesterday on spamming and here you are, doing it again. Your post has nothing to do with this topic. Man, stay on topic.

The other sites don't have their own forum... They all link to and share this forum, which was the whole reason for the "The Forgotten Network" board.. because the Network of sites that share the forum.. Which is also why there is a board for Grandia and Shadow Hearts (two of my favorite RPG series). However the Shadow Hearts site is definitely closing, I'd still like to keep the board. I'll draw in more fans for it sometime too. Probably when I put up Shadow Hearts content on Forgotten Memories website.

Ah, I bet I forgot to turn the Arcade back on after turning it off to add new games.. Hehe.

Yeah perhaps I should remove the FF11 board..

Erm.. as far as members on the forum.. yeah its lacking. But take the amount of visitors who visit the websites I own... and you'd get roughly 6,000 visitors a day. Almost 3,000 come from Forgotten Memories each and every day (even when its been inactive). So I am very shocked the forum doesn't receive more visitors. Currently the forum has around 600 visitors a day according to the stats.

@ Luneth... Mujklob wasn't spamming. He was replying to my post which answers various questions and then he had a few new questions which were all pretty much on topic (even if there isn't a specific topic to this thread.. err.. perhaps its how to better the forum?... Hehe).