Final Fantasy VIII (8) Discussion

phxofgrn

That is nowhere near the reason why it is called Final Fantasy. I believe I read somewhere that the game was called Final Fantasy because the creators made it not expecting it to be that profitable. They thought it would be the only game in the series. It turned out that it was more popular than they ever imagined and they continued the series under the same name, especially since it was the most profitable game series and still is one of the most profitable.

Square-Soft was gonna close from Bankruptcy and they made Final Fantasy as their last hope before closing. It sold so well it saved the company and now look at them.

Well. For me FFVIII wasn't my favorite of the series. For me, some of the characters were bland and uninteresting. The battle-system itself was solid, but I agree about making it too easy and discouraging magic use. The story was solid, I guess, and the sidequests were still fun. I think it is a notch above FFXIII(technical advancements since VIII not weighted).

Also, it is so fashionable to take a potshot at FFVII these days. Sure, the 'compilation project' was unnecessary and dragged out the game's appeal long after people should have been playing other games. Still, it was a success for a reason and I find most rage about how "overrated VII is and underrated VIII is" typically is just because people are just tired of hearing about Cloud and want other series to be explored more.

Square-Soft was gonna close from Bankruptcy and they made Final Fantasy as their last hope before closing. It sold so well it saved the company and now look at them.

Square was down to their last leg and Hironobu Sakaguchi said he always wanted to create a fantasy game. Since he expected this to be pretty much his one and only chance to make the game he always wanted he called it Final Fantasy. Sadly now Square took his idea and are driving it into the ground by putting out sub-par games and now one of the greatest RPG titles in gaming history is just sub par.

I enjoyed FF8 and I don't think it deserves the bad rep it receives. The story was pretty good for the most part, and Squall was a pretty good hero character.

I have to agree that the junction/draw system did kill it though. It was to easy to manipulate and then you didn't really rely on magic to much because you didn't want to weak your character. All I did for the Final boss was Aura and beat her down. Way to simple.

• 4 weeks later...

To be honest i hated 8s magic system. I hated having to collect magic and each spell used depleted that magic i prefer a mp pool which is easily replenished. This would also adversely reflect your stats. I hated spending hours collecting spells just so i could increase my stats. I also found it to easy attaching status effect attacks with death it was pretty cheap and left little challenge. I felt the system was nothing more than time consuming and was kind of frustrating. I rather grind for levels rather than grind for spells. Other than the bad spell system i felt that 8 was a good game it had a good story and graphically it was an improvement since 7.

To be honest i hated 8s magic system. I hated having to collect magic and each spell used depleted that magic i prefer a mp pool which is easily replenished. This would also adversely reflect your stats. I hated spending hours collecting spells just so i could increase my stats. I also found it to easy attaching status effect attacks with death it was pretty cheap and left little challenge. I felt the system was nothing more than time consuming and was kind of frustrating. I rather grind for levels rather than grind for spells. Other than the bad spell system i felt that 8 was a good game it had a good story and graphically it was an improvement since 7.

I hit lvl 99 early on in the game with Squall as it only takes 1,000 exp on every level to level up, the problem is on FF8 the enemies get stronger as you level up. Without getting more Magic to boost your stats more they can easily get to the point of being too strong for you. Though if you Junction it right you could just as easily have 8,000 HP very early in the game. It all comes down to finding the right amount of a certain magic type, junctioning it in the right spot and then not using that magic because every time you do it weakens your character unless you replenish it. It made me not use or want to us any magic I used for junctioning. Though I did fine with my 20+ Guardian Forces and my characters attacks actually.

I hit lvl 99 early on in the game with Squall as it only takes 1,000 exp on every level to level up, the problem is on FF8 the enemies get stronger as you level up. Without getting more Magic to boost your stats more they can easily get to the point of being too strong for you. Though if you Junction it right you could just as easily have 8,000 HP very early in the game. It all comes down to finding the right amount of a certain magic type, junctioning it in the right spot and then not using that magic because every time you do it weakens your character unless you replenish it. It made me not use or want to us any magic I used for junctioning. Though I did fine with my 20+ Guardian Forces and my characters attacks actually.

Once you get Death junctioned to your Status-Attack, everything but bosses becomes a one-hit win.

Once you get Death junctioned to your Status-Attack, everything but bosses becomes a one-hit win.

With me Squall was doing like 3,000-4,000 damage while the other characters (every one of them) did only around 1,000. I could never figure out why their damage output was so small compared to his even though their attack strengths weren't fall apart. Then again you could hit critical with every hit with Squall if you time it right, while with the others you couldn't.

With me Squall was doing like 3,000-4,000 damage while the other characters (every one of them) did only around 1,000. I could never figure out why their damage output was so small compared to his even though their attack strengths weren't fall apart. Then again you could hit critical with every hit with Squall if you time it right, while with the others you couldn't.

With Squall, you don't actually do a critical hit. You just shoot an extra attack into the enemy, which is usually a certain percentage of the amount of damage he would have done without it. That value is added to the damage he deals. When you pull the trigger, he can still get a critical hit like that, but you might not notice.

Definitely think you can blame the junction system for it. Most people I know that don't like it blame that, but I loved the game and particularly that system. That's just because I discovered early on how to abuse it, especially early in the game if your a patient grinder and are good at the card game. (Card Game + Card Mod + Magic Mod = Over-Powered Characters 100% of the game)

• 1 month later...

Final Fantasy 8, and 9, with my favorites being 7 and 9, are the best final fantasies to date. Those which came before them lacked a certain atmosphere, and those which came after lack non-linearized game play...The worst of which being FF13. I don't care how freaking pretty the game looked, I ran in a straight line for 50 hours and hated every minute of it!!! I hate the game...

But I digress...They were underrated because they came at a time when Final Fantasy 7 still had a very long shadow. They were pretty much as good as 7, but, people only remember what is better. That why 8 and 9 were underrated.

• 2 weeks later...
why is Final Fantasy Called "Final" fantasy when they are still creating more series and games

because the company was about to die so they decided to make one more game FINAL FANTASY because it would be their last game ever but it made them rich so they kept the title the same and made it a series

• 3 weeks later...
i dont really agree with Final Fantasy 8 being overrated i mean what im trying to say is, it is but not as much as Final Fantasy 9

No one said it's overrated. It's the complete opposite. It's way underrated. People overrate that crap called Final Fantasy VII and overlooked the next couple of games because of it.

• Koby changed the title to Final Fantasy VIII (8) Discussion