Final Fantasy VIII (8) Discussion

phxofgrn

I cant believe this. Every single FF section has posts in it but VIII. Eight was awsome, i dont care what anyone says. The storyline with the Sorceress and all the characters, Stephie, Quintus, Irvin, Seifer, Laguna, Rinoa, Zell, Squall, and everyone else. All the personallities made the FF story come to life. You might say that all FFs do that, which they do no doubt about that. But FF8 is somethign special. 8 was better than 10. In my opionion of the final fantasys i have played (all but 9) FF8 has the best story line next to FF7 - the most famous FF of all time. The upgrading system is so-so but it is better than 10 and 7 and defintely X-2. anything was better than that fashion show. And you got to love the Gunblade. Whoa thats so awsome, who thought of that? Gunblade... such a great idea. So great they even brought it back in this new FF. Squall is an awsome character, comparable to Cloud in many ways. They are both soldiers. They both are the strong-silent type. Their weapons are swords (always with FF main characters... i think). Their names both have to do with storms.

FF8 is very underrated, mostly because alot of people didnt play it, or, they got used to the FF7 system and were very disapointed in the upgrading system.

FF8 better upgrading system

FF8 way better graphics

FF7 Great Story line

FF7 Most memorable characters

Slap on some upgrades on FF7's graphics and leveling system and you got yourself a hit (Advent Children....somewhat lol if it were a game...maybe)

in my opinion FF8 is the best FF out there next to FF7.

To me Final Fantasy VIII was better then Final Fantasy VII personally. Squall and his Gunblade are still my favorite Final Fantasy character and weapon of choice. I just didn't like the fact of taking over an hour to get 1,000 gil, because you only gained money via your SeeD rank, and mine was pretty low. Haha. I needed potions, and had no money to buy them.

Final Fantasy VIII was better than Final Fantasy VII, but not better than Final Fantasy IX in my opinion. To put it quite simply, I got bored with the game. Sure, there's a lot of stuff to do in this game, but I just got bored. The story didn't grab me like FF7's and FF9's did. Maybe that's why I haven't beaten the game yet.

VIII is an okay game, but certainly not up to par with the best the series has to offer (which isn't VII, but IV, VI and Tactics...) The storyline was nice but not fantastic. The major drawback were the characters. Only one or two were actually deep, and there is very little character development through the game. VIII was a huge step backwards in terms of quality imo because Square had been on a sequence of very good games. FFIV, FFV, FFVI and FFT were fantastic (in fact, if the series stopped at VI, it would be the best RPG series ever, but since it didn't...), VII was also quite good imo. Xenogears (which I consider a masterpiece) was also realease roughly at the same time as FFVII and Tactics.

And the positive points you mentioned (graphics and upgrading system) don't matter anything to me when I evaluate a game.

yea, if a game is good its good doesn't matter what the graphics are, but the upgrading system is very key in Final Fantasy. lets look at an example, Fina Fantasy X. X had the grid system where its like a maze and u go through and unlock abilities. B grade ability system in my opinion. Now lets take a look at FFX-2. The ability and upgrading system was based on clothing and fashion. It can get confusing when you 'fuse' clothing designs. D- grade ability system.( not to mention Yuna's sudden change to Tomb Raider. the only thing they could have did worse was make Rikku into Wonder Woman :D ) so yea upgrading system counts a lot, especially in RPGs

terrible in your opinion, but leveling is part of the game. exspcially for players who are trying to 'win' or beat the game.i can see how your saying the system wont effect the storyline or that it wont change the concept/idea of the game. true. but everything effects how good a game is, all aspects, upgrading systems included.

Final Fantasy VIII is definately up there with the greats. The storyline was very unqieu, and the world was beautiful. (Esthar? Shumi Village? Come on, even Balamb? The landscapes were amazing!) The Junctioning thing was pretty difficult for me when I was younger, but now that I understood it, it had helped me a lot in battle. I need to get around to beating it one of these days. ._.

FF7 is one of my favourite FFs. The battle and junction systems were a bit clunky, mostly because of the slow menu and all of the drawing, but they were imaginative and made characters highly customizable. The graphics were fantastic for the time, and let's face it, graphics, at least for RPGs, are usually pretty important. For me, what draws me into an RPG is the believability and depth of the world. FF8 had an incredibly life-like world, and the excellent graphics (for the time) only complimented it. The story, on the other hand, wasn’t that great. However, the complexity of the world and its rich culture more than made up for that.

The best part of FF8 was how enemies got stronger as you levelled up. I wish more FFs had this. It just makes a game WAY better when you're actually being challenged...

In FFT the monsters from random battles got stronger as you levelled up, which was what made me die so many bloody times because I was overlevelled but not overpowered, so I got pwned a lot by monsters a billion times stronger than me. >.>

I just don't understand why people insist on comparing Eight to Seven. Why not Eight to Nine? Or Two? Or any other game on the planet?

• 3 weeks later...

terrible in your opinion, but leveling is part of the game. exspcially for players who are trying to 'win' or beat the game.i can see how your saying the system wont effect the storyline or that it wont change the concept/idea of the game. true. but everything effects how good a game is, all aspects, upgrading systems included.

Not really... If everything really mattered on a game (and RPGs) I wouldn't like the two Suikogaidens, which are text based rpgs. Also, I wouldn't think of FFIV as the awesome game it is, because the upgrading system is terrible, the sound is terrible, the graphics are terrible and it's still much better than any FF made for the PS1 or PS2 (except maybe for Tactics)

• 4 months later...

It was a good game but, I believe the lack of Armour and choosing which weapon was a bit of a downfall. Still a very good game. But if you could get more weapons, it would have been good. My first FF it was, very good as well. Recently bought a new copy of it, by recently I mean about a month ago. ^_^

• 2 weeks later...
It was a good game but, I believe the lack of Armour and choosing which weapon was a bit of a downfall. Still a very good game. But if you could get more weapons, it would have been good. My first FF it was, very good as well. Recently bought a new copy of it, by recently I mean about a month ago. ^_^

I didn't mind the lack of weapons and armour. With the junction system, you find some powerful spells to buff your defence. In that sense, armour isn't so needed. And weapons, well at least you weren't stuck with the same weapon throughout the game. True, there weren't so many weapons to choose from, but the ones there were I found pretty nice, to be honest. Plus, the way you have to find the right ingredients for the weapons I found pretty entertaining. It wasn't the standard fork over 5000 gil for "X" weapon. Upgrading weapons could almost be considered a quest of it's own, especially for the Lionheat.

But yeah, it was a great game. I loved junction system more over everything. I didn't like using GFs in battle, but I certainly appreciated the stat upgrades and abilities they granted me. And using spells to buff your stats was a decent idea at that. The game can be either easy or hard, it all depends on how well junctioned your characters are, which is what I liked.

Of course I'm trying to make it out to sound perfect, I know as well as everyone each game has it's flaws, FFVIII is no exception. The storyline was pretty good at first, but I found love focus on Squall and Rinoa to be, well, boring in a way. I know the theme is love, but they over dramatised it in y opinion.

Junction system is what makes Final Fantasy VIII so unique. All your characters were 100% customizable. The games graphics are still on par wiht some of todays and the story was enchanting. Not ot mention it is the closest Final Fantasy to our time and society so I felt some connection to the characters.

• 2 months later...

Final Fantasy VIII is one of my favorite games in the series for many reasons. I really liked the story, especially at the beginning of the game. I actually liked all the characters and was able to connect to them really well. The GF/Junction System was really cool, too. The graphics were improved so much from Final Fantasy VII that one might think it was on a whole different platform.

• 4 weeks later...

Oh, man just finished this an hour ago.

Simply just loved it. My second favorite Final Fantasy game of all...FFX is still and will always be first unless the future FFs are better for me.

Okay, so...the graphics improvement from FF VII to FF VIII was the most noticeable of all. The junction system...simply amazing. Using magic to boost your power...Stocking up magic, but using some would lower your stats...Guardian Force allowing you to fully use the junction system. Just didn't like the fact that I didn't get to spread at least one to each character. All the GFs were a magnificent boost to power. They were also summons and probably gave the idea to be used in future FFs. Need I mention the music? It was excellent :). Finding the ingredients for your weapon was very fun instead of just paying gil. Pretty interactive, one might say. Can't forget that there are two extra special bosses. Ultima and Omega weapon. Could have fought them if I wanted to, seeing they are really challenging.

However, I have to admit the storyline, overall, wasn't that big for me. Rinoa always getting captured....probably overdone it..Cid didn't drive the Garden/Ragnorak. He usually does these in most of the Final Fantasies I've played. The aura spell, made the game really easy once you get it with Lionheart. Selphie's limit break, 'The End' works on Omega Weapon..which is not suppose to happen..I think.

Overall a 9/10. Excellent work Squaresoft (Enix). Just really wished they would remake the game, so the graphics are even better.

• Koby changed the title to Final Fantasy VIII (8) Discussion