Final Fantasy VIII (8) Discussion

phxofgrn

Anybody who judges FF8 on gameplay alone probably shouldn't be playing Japanese RPGs. Granted the gameplay was a little weak in this game, but the characters and the story are on a level that I don't think has ever been duplicated since.

Back when this first came out, my brother captured all the CG animations in the game on his computer. Video capture was still fairly new back then, and analog, so the quality leaves something to be desired. But to this day we still watch them once in a while for the nostalgia. You really feel the amazing story and characters just from watching the CGs.

BTW, anybody who plays this game, make sure to watch all the credits. Not only for the video they show during the first part of the credits, but for an important scene they show after the credits have finished.

• 4 weeks later...

I feel like VIII, my second favorite Final Fantasy to VI, goes so underrated because of the battle system. It turned off a lot of people. I never minded it, but know a few friends who abhor the draw system. I also know a few people who didn't like the whole story/plot because it seems a little to much like an anime to them. I guess it is just too much game for some people. :P

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hmmm... is Eight really that underrated??? That's interesting. (I always thought Nine was.) It was always my favorite Final Fantasy, and this isn't simply just because I'm a chick. I really liked Eight's battle system and magic/draw ability. I also enjoyed Eight's mini card game. And as confusing as Eight's story line was, it was never boring. It was always engaging to me. I miss the good old days of Final Fantasy games. Now I find them very lacking. Well ever since X and X2. I'm holding out hopes for Versus 13.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I remember having good times with FFVIII as a kid, but now as an adult, I certainly can't look at it the same way. While it is still league better than FFXIII, we can clearly see seeds of the downfall of FFXIII in FFVIII (and also FFX).

While FFVIII had some freedom, it certainly didn't have lots of optional content, and at the end game it was totally non-existent (kind of the opposite  of FFXIII if you think about it lol). The game also had contrived and non sensical plot elements like FFXIII and characters at thie point were beginning to resemble more like archetype than normal human beings.

Still, for a good hollywood-like cinematic RPG with totally ridiculous production value, the game sure has its place in FF history.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Koby changed the title to Final Fantasy VIII (8) Discussion