Final Fantasy VIII (8) Discussion

phxofgrn

Now don't get me wrong, I love FF8 but I can see why people hate it. The magic/draw/junction system was either too complicated to be fun or required doing monotonous tasks (To some) like playing triple triad or drawing 100 fires for each character for hours on end. Also, if you do play a lot of triple triad at the start of the game you can refine the cards into magic and be overpowered for pretty much the entire game, also leaving the level up system completely pointless. The final boss is another final boss that just seemed to be pulled from Square's butt for the sole reason of having a final boss like Necron although at least she had some backstory unlike Necron.

I didn't really care for how different it was compared to the others. It had some good ideas but didn't execute them well in my opinion

realy?? the fact it was so different is why I loved it so much and thought they executed it wonderfully the fact you realy have to LEARN the game and experiment with different junction set ups was great. they put alot of thought into making you actually explore the game to maximize your character potentials

• 3 weeks later...

I loved FF8 but many of my friends prefer the other titles more and I see this to be a common sentiment on the internet. The irony being that a lot of the complaints I see are the exact reasons I love the game. First off. Triple Triad. LOVED. IT. Not only was it a fun game but grinding on it actually got you items and magic you could use to become extremely powerful early in the game. More games need minigames like this. Second was the junction system. The system was difficult for some people to use or they just didn't like it but I loved it because it was so easy to manipulate it to get an insanely strong character early on, especially like I said earlier, if you played the card game a lot.

I loved FF8 but many of my friends prefer the other titles more and I see this to be a common sentiment on the internet. The irony being that a lot of the complaints I see are the exact reasons I love the game. First off. Triple Triad. LOVED. IT. Not only was it a fun game but grinding on it actually got you items and magic you could use to become extremely powerful early in the game. More games need minigames like this. Second was the junction system. The system was difficult for some people to use or they just didn't like it but I loved it because it was so easy to manipulate it to get an insanely strong character early on, especially like I said earlier, if you played the card game a lot.

I loved Triple Triad too.

However what many people disliked about the Junction system was how it was done. I liked the setup and thought of it, but not what it did. What I mean is, pretty much you had to make a choice to not use Magic at all, because if you did, your characters got weaker. Every time you cast a Magic spell it'd weaken your character because you had Junctioned that magic to your character.

Sure it was easy to make your characters over powered, but then that can't always be a good thing either. It didn't help that your enemies increased in level as you did, and on a normal playthrough, before you even get to the final disc you'd normally have Squall maxed out on level, while the entire rest of your party lays 40 levels below him.

VIII was awesome! It was my favorite FF up until I discovered I-VI (A bit before my time ^^;), and still remains my favorite of the 3D games. The story was amazing, and the characters showed actual growth. They were, perhaps, a bit too young, but I still loved it :D The Draw system got old quickly, but the fact that you could customize your party and make the tiny girl your heavy hitter or the guy with the giant blade your main mage was a fun twist.

Has anyone else gotten the Lionheart on disc one?

• 3 weeks later...

Under-rated by whom, may I ask... A game is only as good as the player decides it is, not what the media hype says. If you don't go buy or try a game because some rich bastard belonging to a large gaming network says it is bad you are a horrible role-player in my opinion.

I love FF8. Honestly, the only ones I truly enjoyed to the fullest were (in this order) 12, 8, and 9. The others were good but not grand!

• 4 weeks later...

8 was my favorite. good love story, and it had a cool battle system and if you knew what you were doing you could max out squall to the point where using lion heart twice could kill the final boss (lvl 99, lionheart gun blade, 100 meteor equipped {maxed to 255}, and casting aura) lion heart is what, like a sixteen hit combo with this set up every strike hits for 9999.

• 2 months later...

I absolutely loved it....until after I beat it and looked into the lore and started paying more attention. During the night with the parade sequence when the sorceress stabs Squall with the ice magic....he dies. From that point on, the entire rest of the game is all Squall's imagination during his final breaths. It isn't comfirmed or anything, but the evidence makes it pretty damn convincing :(

• 2 weeks later...

FF8 was NOT underrated! The story and world was just fine. However, everything else about the game SUCKED. The summons took too long, too many menus, you were forced to equip a GF that had a bonus on everyone EVERY time they individually went up in levels so your stats could go up AND you had to keep all of your magic for fear of lowering your stats if you junctioned that magic to the character. IT SUCKED.

I never understood why people said it was such a bad game. Its still to this day my favorite one out of the series and then 7 would be my second. Maybe its just because some people just couldn't get used to all the new things. If you haven't tried it, you definitely need to give it a try. It may change your life forever. haha

The reason 8 got "underrated" if you will was because it got crammed between and around 7, tactics, and 9, but in all honesty 8 was a lot easier to play. As far as the leveling comment. Never had that problem.

They gave you the ability to turn enemies into cards early, 3 pages for spells so you could still cast spells, and they made it so you only noticed the sideeffects of casting your junctioned magic when you overused it.

As before they allowed you the option to turn your enemies into cards, so you did not really have to play the triple triad nearly as much, unless like me you had the ooh shiney of collecting evertything.

The "gf" you refer to was odin, and was optional so you did not have to get him, though personally I enjoyed him, and was nice to see.

The characters did have a lot of development, and I loved how they used the very thing giving you power as the very thing making you forget stuff :). Also being able to fly around an entire school later on was a blast!

• 1 month later...

Now I've played VIII and truthfully it wasn't great, the graphics where great back in the day but it just sucked over all, I didn't mind the skill learning from the summons but the fact that the enemies leveled with you is mostly what bugged me, the draw system also bugged the crap out of me, finally the story had way to much of a romance base in it, additionally I guess is that the toughest optional boss in the game was just so rediculous and I hated the idea of trading in the cards that you have to get through the card game side quest to trade them in for items, one of them you have to have to beat that figgen pain in the ***.

On almost fergot, the chocobo system really sucked to, tthey where more or less just in it, they wheren't acually of any real use for anything.

Edited by Dractaros

• Koby changed the title to Final Fantasy VIII (8) Discussion