What first got you sucked into anime and mangas?

Vonnie

i remember me and my dad flicking through the TV channels one night, my mum was out and my brother was in bed and it was while flicking through we came across sci fi channel. we were like " O_O cartoons" then we see all the action and were practically drooling XD (th first anime we saw was ninja scroll XD)

then me and my dad would check each night to see if there was anymore on but sadly it was only on a saturday night. now they dont show anime anymore =(

My Uncle had a whole load of VHS tapes of dubbed and subbed anime. I watched Akira at a young age and was really freaked out. Then I watched it again about 10 years later and I was hooked to the power of imagery and ideas that was anime. No American animation was able to really get past censoring and was dumbed down in its impact at the time. Anime allowed me to have solid drama and action in a moving art form ^L^

Im gonna go with Toonami on Cartoon Network several years ago. I wasnt even aware that what I was watching was called Anime. It was just another cartoon to me and I loved cartoons. I didnt learn that it was called Anime till a couple years afterwards, and then I started seeing more and more anime once I learned what anime was and began to notice it more.

So Toonami on Cartoon Network back when DBZ was on TV at 5:30pm my time around 2001-2003.

i started by hearing my fiends always talk about inuyasha in grade 4 or 5, so i decided to stay up one night and watch it. well, while waiting, i was bombarded with .Hack//Sign, Gundam Seed, Bleach, and Case closed/Detective Conan. all of which are now some of my favourite series.