What first got you sucked into anime and mangas?

Vonnie

Anime is actually one of my earliest childhood memories, I can remember waking up really early everyday and getting all ready for school just so that I would have enough time to sit down and watch Sailor Moon and the Sailor Scouts battle the evil people of the Negaverse with Tuxedo Mask - Who I sercretly had the biggest crush on...I've loved anime ever since :)

• 3 months later...

i got into anime when i was about 12 years old. my aunt and uncle came over one day so my aunt could take my mom to a doctors appointment. so as soon as they left my uncle turned on the TV in the living room and went into on-demand. He started watching Inu-Yasha and he told me to sit down and watch it and from then on i was hooked. now my friends say i am an anime addict and they are rite i can't go a day without watching anime.

it was a natural progression for me from the old stuff i used to watch as a kid :) marine boy, astro boy and the like through to voltron,pokemon and dbz and now fairytale, FMA, bleach and just about anything else :) and yes i am that old that i used to watch the original stuff on tv , no vcr's or dvd's in the 60s-70s

Watched Pokemon, zoids, cloud capture sakura, DBZ pretty much every saturday morning cartoon as a kid but never knew the dirfferance between anime and cartoons. What finally enlightened me was actually YouTube saw an episode of DN Angel and was kind of curious watched more I was interested so I looked for more I then I came across soul eater and just fell in love with it XD

In middle school I had those pictures from some japanese animations stuck into my notebook without knowing that it came from mangas. Then, a classmate (who is actually one of my best friends now) asked me if I liked mangas and as I didn't know what it was at all, she introduced me to her best friend who was addicted to mangas ! She lent me one of hers (Chobits) then started the craziest thing ever !! I've been addicted to mangas since then ^^

Like many others it started with Pokemon and Dragon Ball Z. Pokemon because I was Pokemon mad at the time after playing the games and collecting the cards and Dragon Ball Z because the awesome fights had me in a trance.

I've never actually read any Manga except for a quick flick through a DBZ manga in a bookshop in America one time. I think I'm more of an Anime guy than a Manag guy.

I used to watch Dragonball z every day with a friend of mine, i would walk round to his watch it and then go out and play, unfortunately he moved away but one day while searching through my old toys i found a dragonball z Manga i read it through then searched it online, i found a site and saw a "Recommended anime of the day" box, In that box was the show Bleach, i clicked it and started watching and ever since then i've been doing everything i can to watch more and more anime :3

Well i honestly got into anime late in my highschool... being already asian, i shunned it because of the horrible stereotypes of a typical otaku. I'm sad that i did this though. Anyways, i know some people don't consider Avatar an anime but i do. Loved the artwork and then watch Fullmetal Alchemist subsequent to that. I don't read much manga though because i don't understand the action sequences for some reason and the shoujo stuff just isn't my thing.

For me it was Akira. It was the early 90's when they showed it late one night on tv. In those days l would watch the marvel cartoons every weekend. So when l saw Akira that night it was like a bomb going off inside my head. The artwork was like nothing l had seen before, and the story was out of this world. Then after a number of years l came across bleach, and ever since that day l have been watching anime none stop.

As a kid (6-11ish), I used to watch Dragon Ball/Z, Pokemon, Zoids, and even Sailor Moon when they were on television in the mornings but I never really knew they were anime (although I could tell they were different from the usual cartoons) until years later. Then I never really paid any attention to or got into anime for a few years, until last year (when I was 17) when a few of my friends would continuously talk about and share videos of this anime called Bleach. They urged me to get into and after a while I gave in and started watching a few episodes. I really liked it. After catching up to the airing episodes of Bleach, I searched for related/top rated anime through google and forums and streaming sites (Code Geass came next, then Clannad then more) and just got more and more into anime. A year on I'm still watching anime almost daily.

As a child I often watched digimon (never liked pokemon : ) and dragon ball but there were no big difference to an ordinary cartoon show.

Then one day a friend of mine showed me Akira and at this point I got really sucked into animes although we had only a Japanese version with English subtitles. (English isn’t my native language and at this age I don’t understand much).

well when i was younger i watched pokemon, dbz, sailor moon, cardcaptors, yu-gi-oh and digimon, and loved them

but what really got me into anime and manga was drawing. i love to draw but i couldn't find a style i could stick too, untill i got into drawing anime and manga.

i got like 5 books to guide me in how to do it, then after a while i stopped needing them. now you see what i can draw now!

as for watching and reading anime and manga, that came when i wanted to try something new, i would watch and anime and then try to draw in that style! it helped me improve a hell of a lot as well as develop my own style (granted it's not very good, but the point still stands)

watching anime today is for relaxation, and of course because there's never anything on bloody TV anymore thats worth watching