What first got you sucked into anime and mangas?

Vonnie

I got started with Sailor Moon as a child. This was way back when it would air early in the morning and was controlled by DIC. Of course I didn't know of everything that had changed at the time due to the dub, but I still loved it back then. I love it even more now that it has been remade both with the remake of the original and with Crystal still airing.

kinda wut sally said, a 90s kid catching dbz and pokemon and yugioh on tv. When I was alittle older I was watching Cowboy Bebop/Samurai Champloo/Fullmetal/Naruto/Bobobo on tv mad late at night. Like about a year and a half ago my friend was super heavy into anime and always tried to get me into it by watching it at my house, I watched a couple shows along with him (DBZ Buu arc, 2nd half of Highschool DxD s1, World Trigger, Hokuto no Ken, Assassination Classroom s1). He also watched a few I didn't pay any attention to cuz I was watching cartoons on another tv at the same time (Sao, Shiki, Hajime no Ippo, Jojo's, Parasyte, a bunch of other stuff I can't remember). He got me to watch Samurai Champloo on my own which wasn't heard cuz I already planned on watching it eventually for nostalgic purposes. Then I watched Cowboy Bebop/Fullmetal/Space Dandy on my own and loved them all to death. Then One Punch Man came out I watched it every week till I finished it absolutely loved it. Same for Mob Psycho 100 when it came out which One Punch Man had me mad hype for, I honestly liked Mob even better than OPM. Then I saw berserk and that changed everything, I immediately became completely obsessed. Berserk is life.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've always spent too much time on the internet and I'm an old (well, born in the 1980's "old" anyway) horse so Neon Genesis Evangelion is what originally got me into anime. It certainly wasn't the first anime I watched but, it was the one that lead me to this rotten fanboy existence. :]

Manga is a little tougher to remember? At least, the first series I read. I do know I started reading manga basically as soon as I saw it was available for checking out at the library. I want to say that the first manga I read was probably Fushigi Yûgi. And I kind of jokingly blame it for the fact that even though I'm a dude I tend to prefer shoujo manga over shounen. lol

My very first anime that sucked me in was when Tenchi Muyo came out on Toonami. I was 12 years old at the time and I freaking loved the intro music. Now that I go back and watch it, it's almost unbearable and I can't stand how old the animation style looks. 

On 1/26/2017 at 9:55 PM, ludewick24 said:

Definitely DBZ, it was always an after school special. Then of course I had to start from the beginning in DB, and from there on I have been lost in the world of Anime

I like the simplicity and adventure of the original, there seemed to be more of a story to tell. At the same time though, I thoroughly enjoyed DBZ, mainly because of the character growth and the intensity of the fighting 

• 2 months later...

I got sucked into anime as a sort of "rebellion" I guess; it was around the time I got my first computer in my room and I stumbled across a bunch of mature anime when I was like 12/13 and pretty much got hooked (turns out I'm a really big fan of East Asian film and TV so anime was kind of the beginning of that discovery)

• 2 weeks later...

I saw Dragon Ball Z at my friend's house from time to time before Pokemon... and I didn't have cable back then until 2001. That's when I saw DB, DBZ, DBGT, Yuyu Hakusho, Rurouni Kenshin, Transformers (???), and Pokemon. SM and CC are a different story. As for mangas, I only ever managed to read a Sailor Moon manga... the one with the little girl being a vampire. :)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...