What first got you sucked into anime and mangas?

Vonnie

No specific thing drew me in ... Just looking for something different.

All the other stuff, the stuff I grew up with, the stuff out of Hollywood,  just was ... blech, and with the Indie stuff you have to wade through a lot of crap to find good stuff.

Anime has a different sensibility from the get-go, a different visual sense, storytelling conventions.

IN the end I would have to say curiosity drew me to it and familiarity with alternatives pushed me away from the alternatives.

TV shows became vey boring for me, a friend that I constantly gamed with recommended that I watch some Anime. The first few I watched were Samurai Champloo, Black Lagoon and Fullmetal Alchemist, from that point on I was hooked. I find the stories to be throughly engaging and the restrictions that tv shows have in their story telling and settings are non existent in Anime. 

Cheeze TV got me sucked into it, I think?

If that wasn't it, my brothers' have a friend who is into anime. He would come over our house and lend us anime that he had put on CD's for us - and we would watch them on the computer. After my supply got cut off I ended up using youtube for anime, it was horrible... 'part 1/9' of low quality goodness... Manga was my next move because I got tired of the 99999 naruto fillers, lol.

Watched some episodes of Cardcaptor Sakura and Sailor Moon when I was younger along with some other older shows I've forgotten the name of, but I didn't really get into anime properly until 2006 when I started watching Naruto. Then afterwards I started to look for more shows online and now I can say I'm a huge fan. xD

When I was in high school I remember looking forward to weekends to watch television as my parents don't allow me to watch on a weekday. I remember watching yuyu hakushu and voltes five. When I got to college, schedules are a bit loose so I had the opportunity to watch and be immersed in a lot of animes. Good times.

• 2 weeks later...

Dragonball Z when I was younger. Initially I was like what the heck is this? It looks dumb. Then I found myself occasionally watching some clips of it, then parts of the episodes, then entire episodes, and soon after I was hooked. I found that I had a fondness for anime that had a lot of fighting in it so those have been primarily what I watch nowadays, with the occasional comedy thrown in.