[COMPLETE] Site migration, February 26th, 2019

Nekone

The site migration was completed, albeit with a few bumps along the way that made it take like 6 hours instead of 2 and a half, lol. Really sorry about that, but things should be working properly again.

Notice - Site Migration

• When: February 26, 2019 at 7:30 PM
  • Duration: Approximately 2.5 hours
  • What: Site migration to a different server

Sorry for the short notice on this one, but it's important. I will be migrating the forums off of the current server onto my own servers. This is because, at this point, we're essentially paying for server hardware resources we're not even really using, and this is due in large part to the removal of downloads from the site. It simply doesn't make any sense to continue to pay for the server the forums are on because of this, so I have instead made an offer to Koby to host the forums on my own server, free of charge.

To facilitate this move, I will be deactivating the forum website right around 7:30 PM CST this evening. I've set aside 2.5 hours to perform the move, but if things go as planned it'll not take the entire window to do.

The gameplan is as follows:

1. At or around 7:30 PM CST, deactivate the forum website in the webserver configuration, redirect all traffic to a static page
  2. Perform full database dump (expected time: about 15-30 minutes maximum)
  3. After confirming dump integrity, migrate the dump file to the new server and import it (expected time: about 15-30 minutes maximum)
  4. Begin transferring website-related files to the new server (expected time: about 45 min to an hour maximum)
  5. Migrate webserver configuration files to the new server, and locally test configuration (expected time: about 10 minutes or so)
  6. Make the necessary changes within DNS (expected time: will vary depending on various ISP's DNS caching policies and refreshes)

Obviously, since I have offered to host the forums completely free of charge, this raises the question for many of you: should I still donate? The answer to that is, absolutely! Even though I will be hosting the site itself free of charge, Koby still has to pay the licensing costs of the forum software itself as well as the themes. So yes, continue to donate. The only change is that money will just be used to keep the forum software license current as well as pay for these wonderfully designed themes we have. Oh and, of course, @Koby is still insistent upon compensating me for the trouble even though I said I'd do it for free (stubborn guy, LOL), so a portion might also be used for that as well.

As always, IRC and Discord will both remain available. Again sorry for the short notice, but this move is that important and we feel that it's the best way to move forward from here. Thank you for your understanding!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• Koby unpinned this topic