Status Quo

Koby

This community is more than an anime download center for me and so I love Kametsu and will stay unless The Last of Us or Kingdom like apocalypse happen in our time then with a heavy heart I will dropped anime/video games/Kametsu because I'll be slaying them in real life and then my is heart no longer heavy :D

8 hours ago, Koby said:

Speaking about the existence of piracy and discussing releases out there isn't the same as posting DRM cracks for illegally ripping stream services, which is what I think you're asking about?

Those topics were mainly for discussion.  Very few links to "Tools" were posted (at least not publicly), and most were to outdated ones that no longer work.  Some of the discussion did get out of hand with a few people constantly begging for circumvention methods, but that was just an annoyance as apposed to anything illegal.  I enjoyed reading through some of those threads.  It was more like reading "News" to me.  Keeping up on what others have achieved (or even heard rumors about) and using that as motivation to look into my own solutions.  I don't see much harm in restoring them, but if you want to keep this forum "Squeaky Clean" for the time being then I guess I can't blame you.

As much as I miss the Distributed Content that was readily available on this forum, I don't think that anyone can blame you for removing it.  That goes for the above aforementioned threads as well.  Since I am still in the habit of logging in on a daily basis, I just wanted to inquire about those threads that previously captivated my attention.  Although, as I expected, I pretty much already knew the answer.

For the record, I am not a fan of Anime (which this site was built upon), but I am a lover of Cartoons.  As such, I will continue to be drawn to this forum as long as the News and conversation regarding Animated Cartoons stays relevant and fresh.

I would like to Thank You @Koby for bringing the site back online after experiencing that ordeal.  The same goes for @IkarosBD and anyone else involved.  I am sure there were many times when you questioned, not only if it was possible, but also if it was worth it or not.  For what its worth, I think you made the right decision.  This forum has the most generous and friendly members that I have seen anywhere.  That's ultimately what has kept me coming back for the last 5 Years (and 3 days, lol .... but who's counting). 

On a side note, you have given everyone the main gist of what happened, but do you ever plan on sharing the specifics of the entire situation?  Or are you not allowed to due to some court document?  Perhaps it's not any of our business, but I am sure many people are ultimately curious.

15 hours ago, Koby said:

Kind of like the loophole with emulators, where they could legally give you everything the emulator needed to work, but supplying you with a bios is somehow what makes it illegal and causes them to be get C&D.

This is because the BIOS is actual proprietary code. Old emulators would use this as a shortcut to make a lot of the emulation work easier to write and execute. Supplying a BIOS is illegal for the same reason supplying any paid application is.

Newer emulators stopped relying on any proprietary code though (e.g. Dolphin, Cemu, etc), so it's not really a problem anymore thankfully. You can run any games straight out of the box these days with modern emulators.

back on topic: I'd be on board with a general piracy discussion area. No links, of course, but the A/V encoding section was definitely useful. We could also add a comparisons section for encode comparisons, since that's something you only get on forums like this or BTN's comparisons board.

• Like 9

On 1/29/2019 at 10:03 PM, Koby said:

Did I say on posts? I think I was referring to username color, but yeah I can make certain groups have a specifically different background color for posts to emphasis them; however that might be something rolled out for the highest-tier usergroup when they're completely revamped, and it'd just be a set color across all members in the group, not adjustable most likely. I'll have to look into it more first of course, it may not be implemented at all as we're just tossing out ideas and seeing how well they're liked as we move forward.

Sounds like a good plan, that way,,...to the future!

It is kinda sad that the entirety of the downloads forum is gone. There was valuable discussion and information there even if it was only relevant to downloads. 

Missing episodes of Disney's Doug is how I found my way here, there was discussion about which episodes were still lost and which weren't.

I came for a reason and loved this site because it was well organized and I could keep track of dual audio releases,   The section I found so valuable and loved so much is of course gone.   Hard to talk about this subject because the moderators are uber sensitive to discussions on this subject.   The owner did what he/she had to do to protect him or herself.  Nice to see an effort to return but how I hate the copyright police,   They destroyed a great resource.

• Like 2

I came to kametsu from english dub kingdom (damn that was a long time ago). First anime I watched was darker than black and I've been hooked ever since. It sucks that things had to change but realistically if jail time was gonna happen no one can blame koby for anything. The man and the admin team and the dub team worked hard for a lot of years, and weren't being paid for it. No one can fault you guys for anything and the entitled pricks that do, well this place will be better off without them. Thanks Koby and everyone else for the awesome work that had been done for all the years and hopefully more awesomeness to come in the future!

Plus I mean in the last few years streaming anime legally has become more affordable than in the past so its not like its the end of the world. Going to jail is like the end of the world. Only thing that bugs me is that CR, funi, amazon prime and netflix dont really have any anime movies so im at a loss where to watch those. Amazon I guess. Should have dl Princess mononoke when i had the chance. Curse you procrastination! My greatest enemy in life XD

Anyways, glad to see kametsu back and running! 

I only recently learned of this forum and the few times I browsed it was for the downloads. I won't lie and say I won't miss it, but damn, I cringed hard at the dude in the other page saying that he would "take his business everywhere" (like this kind of jackass would ever be missed).

I am a member and ex-staff of a brazillian forum named "Forum Chaves" that specialized in discussions and downloads of the mexican show "El Chavo del Ocho" ("Chaves" in Brazil) and it's related series. A relationship started between FCH and Televisa so the episode downloads had to go. This was back in 2014 and the forum is currently more alive than it ever has been.

This kind of content is always missed when it is gone, I still miss it today back at FCH and even though I'm not an avid visitor here I'll probably miss what I used to get from here. But seeing how the mods are determined to look forward and keep the forums true to the meaning of the word "forum" is truly inspiring. Nothing much I can actually contribute but you have my moral support. I don't see Kametsu dying anytime soon.

So...I guess trying this is out of the question? 🧐

The creator of this Page or the ISP(s) hosting any content on this site take NO responsibility for the way you use the information provided on this site.These files and anything else on this site are here for private purposes only and should not be downloaded or viewed whatsoever! If you are affiliated with any government, or Anti-Piracy group or any other related group or were formally a worker of one you CANNOT enter this web site, cannot access any of its files and you cannot view any of the HTML files. All the objects on this site are PRIVATE property and are not meant for viewing or any other purposes other then bandwidth space. Do not Enter whatsoever! If you enter this site you are not agreeing to these terms and you are violating code 431.322.12 of the Internet Privacy Act signed by Bill Clinton in 1995 and that means that you CANNOT threaten our ISP(s) or any person(s) or company storing these files, cannot prosecute any person(s) affiliated with this page which includes family, friends or individuals who run or enter this web site. If you don't agree to these Terms then LEAVE.

:grimace:

12 hours ago, gbp877 said:

So...I guess trying this is out of the question? 🧐

:grimace:

Considering it's a fake law that never actually existed and thus obviously never held any power to begin with at any point in time, of course not. Any site is always required to monitor and remove infringing materials. It's the whole reason file hosts, youtube, etc.. have the whole DMCA procedure. It's the reason megaupload got into so much trouble, and it's the reason MEGA opted to "encrypt" everything so they could legally say they have "no idea" what this or that is on their servers without the "key" to decrypt it.

4 minutes ago, Koby said:

Considering it's a fake law that never actually existed and thus obviously never held any power to begin with at any point in time, of course not. Any site is always required to monitor and remove infringing materials. It's the whole reason file hosts, youtube, etc.. have the whole DMCA procedure. It's the reason megaupload got into so much trouble, and it's the reason MEGA opted to "encrypt" everything so they could legally say they have "no idea" what this or that is on their servers without the "key" to decrypt it.

just to back up Koby, here's a citation for you: https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/private-i/

Besides, that reasoning is absurd. Private property doesn't magically grant you the ability to commit crimes within. If law enforcement has reasonable cause to suspect criminal activity inside a private space, they've got justification to move in, physical or virtual. Just placing a sign outside saying "pls don't come in everything is perfectly fine and it's my own home" isn't gonna do squat.

edit: also the internet isn't a private place. everything on the internet is public, and you can assume it's been recorded somewhere. do not use the internet with any expectation of privacy.

Edited by Catar

On 2/3/2019 at 9:44 PM, Catar said:

back on topic: I'd be on board with a general piracy discussion area. No links, of course, but the A/V encoding section was definitely useful. We could also add a comparisons section for encode comparisons, since that's something you only get on forums like this or BTN's comparisons board.

On 1/31/2019 at 9:55 PM, Scyrous said:

What bothers me the most is that a significant portion of the site seems to have been lost for no reason. I get how removing all links might have been necessary to comply with all the DMCA crap Kametsu had to face. But I find it very hard to believe the mere discussion of piracy/releases (without any sort of links being shared) also puts Kametsu in some kind of serious danger. I would have been fine with a text-only index where I could continue to post updates about my current/future projects and where others could ask questions (and in the same vein, I personally believe project topics without actual download links would have been totally fine). But even that seems to be out of the question now. Or perhaps I'm just looking in the wrong places. In any case, I can't find any sort of place on the site dedicated to piracy anymore. And I think that's overkill.

I agree. I initially came here specifically for the downloads and didn't start putting out my own releases until over half a year later. I stayed because of the community. I rather enjoyed the community aspect and being able to discuss my own and other's releases. Now that all of that's gone, there just isn't much to do here for me anymore.

too late to the party i guess but

i agree with those points 100%.

knowing and talking about releases without providing links seems the way to go for me too.

quite a lot of us are not here for the links but for sharing opinions and asking knowledgeable people about releases. i for one  can find pretty much anything i want with no need for help.

but still I can appreciate knowing about projects people work, and talking about them, comparisons, subs info etc. offering links is much less important.

and i cant see legal trouble coming from that tbh, if dl links arent  distributed

or as an alternative really steep rules before accessing specific subforums.  eg like 300-400 post count and a good standing in the community for at least  several months to prevent spam and shitposts.

but really for those people providing dl links or not is mostly irrelevant anyway

Edited by sfaxt
666 posts hell yeah!