Sign in to follow this  
Guillermo31

How to sync English audio to match the japanese Blu-ray anime

I'll explain how I do it. A lot of people do it in different ways.

I use eac3to to convert all tracks to .wav (if they are AC3/AAC). Open them up in Sony Vegas to compare the waveforms and then you can calculate what needs cut or how much silence to add and what not very easily. I then use delayCut to apply cuts/silence losslessly and then use eac3to to recombine the audio track.

We have dozens of threads asking this and most of them have answers in them already. It usually pays to search and read existing threads.

I don't have time right now to create screenshot step by steps, but I figure that already exists in another thread someone can link to. So I'll just go over a quick guide for now and if you have any trouble let us know.

In any case, it also helps if you go into more detail about like what audio source you're trying to sync. Like is it just USBD English audio to JPBD video?

In most cases a simple delay is all that is needed. Load the audio that is synced already in Audacity, then load the audio you want to sync.

Find a quiet spot where when audio does pick back up it looks the same across both tracks. Click right at that point, jot down the time codes. Then do the math in your head or on a calculator, whichever works for you. Apply that to the Delay in mkvtoolnix when muxing the audio in, and you're good to go.

If the audio is in sync in select places but out of sync in others, after the proper delay is added, then obviously you're going to need to do more than add a delay. You're going to need to add or cut silence in the segments that are getting out of sync. If it's because the audio segment has been cut from the English track entirely, then you can copy that segment from the Japanese audio and splice it into the English track.

1 hour ago, Koby said:

We have dozens of threads asking this and most of them have answers in them already. It usually pays to search and read existing threads.

I don't have time right now to create screenshot step by steps, but I figure that already exists in another thread someone can link to. So I'll just go over a quick guide for now and if you have any trouble let us know.

In any case, it also helps if you go into more detail about like what audio source you're trying to sync. Like is it just USBD English audio to JPBD video?

In most cases a simple delay is all that is needed. Load the audio that is synced already in Audacity, then load the audio you want to sync.

Find a quiet spot where when audio does pick back up it looks the same across both tracks. Click right at that point, jot down the time codes. Then do the math in your head or on a calculator, whichever works for you. Apply that to the Delay in mkvtoolnix when muxing the audio in, and you're good to go.

If the audio is in sync in select places but out of sync in others, after the proper delay is added, then obviously you're going to need to do more than add a delay. You're going to need to add or cut silence in the segments that are getting out of sync. If it's because the audio segment has been cut from the English track entirely, then you can copy that segment from the Japanese audio and splice it into the English track.

Well supposedly I found Blu-ray version of inuyasha it’s has Japanese/Spanish/Catalan audio it doesn’t have the English audio and I have English audio from a-s inuyasha here it looks https://drive.google.com/file/d/13PeZCAJw9jDoKZRTZL2x2wyzwOk1kl-k/view

Edited by Guillermo31

2 minutes ago, Guillermo31 said:

Well supposedly I found Blu-ray version of inuyasha it’s has Japanese/Spanish/Catalan audio it doesn’t have the English audio and I have English audio from animesupreme inuyasha 

Anime-Surpreme's audio is a re-encode of the already lossy DVD audio so editing and possibly re-encoding it another time is certainly not ideal. If you're really wanting to do proper work, you'd want to source the English audio from somewhere the AC3 that the DVDs have is untouched.

As for Blu-rays, I hadn't heard of any Blu-ray for the series. If it has one it's probably some obscure country and either way it's an upscale, but more than likely it's a badly done upscale. Though to be fair, most official upscales tend to be badly done to begin with when it comes to anime and cartoons.

2 minutes ago, Koby said:

Anime-Surpreme's audio is a re-encode of the already lossy DVD audio so editing and possibly re-encoding it another time is certainly not ideal. If you're really wanting to do proper work, you'd want to source the English audio from somewhere the AC3 that the DVDs have is untouched.

As for Blu-rays, I hadn't heard of any Blu-ray for the series. If it has one it's probably some obscure country and either way it's an upscale, but more than likely it's a badly done upscale. Though to be fair, most official upscales tend to be badly done to begin with when it comes to anime and cartoons.

Really damn have you look at the link I put

3 minutes ago, Guillermo31 said:

Really damn have you look at the link I put

It's hard to tell how much background detail is retained from a single shot with a blurred background and no comparison shot with the dvd; but in any case that screenshot does so macroblocking from being overly compressed and likely denoised.

Can you share the mediainfo of the video file and where you originally found/obtained this Blu-ray encode?

1 minute ago, Koby said:

It's hard to tell how much background detail is retained from a single shot with a blurred background and no comparison shot with the dvd; but in any case that screenshot does so macroblocking from being overly compressed and likely denoised.

Can you share the mediainfo of the video file and where you originally found/obtained this Blu-ray encode?

Here https://nyaa.si/view/1068301

8 minutes ago, Guillermo31 said:

Yeah, that is a mini-encode where they've made a 1080p encode using the bare minimum bitrate you'd expect from a 480p encode, which is why episodes are only 250 MB with 3 audio tracks (although they encoded the audio to garbage 70kbps HE-AAC too).

The Blu-ray itself seems to be a Spanish Blu-ray, and the files are already compressed quite a bit to fit more episodes per disc. Typical Japanese Blu-ray m2ts is like 6.5 GB, these are 3.8 GB. So I'm fairly confident without checking that the Blu-ray suffers from compression issues that would likely need countering by covering up with some grain. along with fixing the colors (the Blu-ray is cited to have the wrong color spec causing colors to be wrong), and some anti-aliasing and debanding required.

In any case, I'd look for another encode to use if you're not looking to encode it yourself, or just do a BDRemux.

9 minutes ago, Koby said:

Yeah, that is a mini-encode where they've made a 1080p encode using the bare minimum bitrate you'd expect from a 480p encode.

The Blu-ray itself seems to be a Spanish Blu-ray, and the files are already compressed quite a bit to fit more episodes per disc. Typical Japanese Blu-ray m2ts is like 6.5 GB, these are 3.8 GB. So I'm fairly confident without checking that the Blu-ray suffers from compression issues that would likely need countering by covering up with some grain. along with fixing the colors (the Blu-ray is cited to have the wrong color spec causing colors to be wrong), and some anti-aliasing and debanding required.

In any case, I'd look for another encode to use if you're not looking to encode it yourself, or just do a BDRemux.

I wanted to try it out how to remix the audio with the encode as well learning to do it

Edited by Guillermo31

2 hours ago, Jolyne said:

In my opinion they have good quality.

https://imgur.com/a/2Vs4s

This version is compressed and with the colors a bit altered.

That groups encode looks fairly good, but all I could find of it was one episode. Either they never did more or they didn't share more episodes on Nyaa. In any case, that does show that the Blu-ray is rather nicely done and would be a healthy jump in quality from the DVDs if someone was willing to put in the work to encode 167 episodes and sync audio and subtitles.

• Like 1

Hello, I have seen that you have commented on some raw that I did for nyaa, do not use them, they were just a test and they have errors. Soon I will release a V2 with the first 10 chapters of the series, but not in English since I do not work in that language and I do not have the original material (DVD audios without reencode).

On the doubts that you comment, it is impossible to make a BDRemux of the first 34 chapters since the Opening 1 in the Spanish BD is edited because Sunrise no longer has the rights of the songs of the group V6, therefore the Japanese audio can not be synchronized in that opening 1 because it lasts less than the original, in my raw what I have done is to reconstruct the opening 1 from the credit-default DVD R2J and the sponsord card of the Opening 2 of the Spanish BD since it is the same sponsord card (this is not what I've published yet, it's the raw V2 that I said I'll publish soon).

If anyone is interested I can share the .avs scripts of the reconstruction of OP1 and Chapter 21 and 22 since these 2 chapters in the BD are "clipped" (they are not really clipped, they are simply the Original Aired versions of Japan, which happens in the edition on DVD R2J these 2 chapters joined them as a 48-minute special and created new scenes and curiously it was this version with new scenes which was then exported to other countries and that's why the dubs from other countries already have those added scenes.

My native language is Spanish, so i use translator, if someone wants the original message is this:

Spoiler

Hola, he visto que habeis comentado sobre unas raw que hice para nyaa, no las useis, eran solo una prueba y tienen errores. Pronto liberare una V2 con los primeros 10 capitulos de la serie, pero no en ingles ya que no trabajo en ese idioma y tampoco dispongo del material original (audios de los DVD sin reencode).

Sobre las dudas que comentais, es imposible hacer un BDRemux de los primeros 34 capitulos ya que el Opening 1 en los BD españoles esta editado porque Sunrise ya no tiene los derechos de las canciones del grupo V6, por tanto no se puede sincronizar el audio japones en ese opening 1 porque dura menos que el original, en mis raw lo que he hecho es reconstruir el opening 1 a partir del DVD R2J creditless y la sponsord card del Opening 2 del BD español ya que es la misma sponsord card (esto no lo he publicado aun, son las raw V2 que he dicho que publicare pronto).

Si alguien esta interesado puedo compartir los scripts .avs de la reconstruccion del OP1 y del capitulo 21 y 22 ya que estos 2 capitulos en el BD estan "recortados" (realmente no estan recortados, son simplemente las versiones Original Aired de Japon, lo que pasa es que en la edicion en DVD R2J estos 2 capitulos los unieron como un especial de 48 minutos y crearon escenas nuevas y curiosamente fue esta version con escenas nuevas la que luego se exporto a otros paises y por eso los doblajes de otros paises ya tienen esas escenas añadidas.