• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Probably the original St. Seiya back in the 90s, the dubbed version, though, that was aired on TV after school. I forget the dubbed name though, its been so long since I've seen it. I didn't even realize it was anime at the time, I just thought the characters were really pretty. They reminded me of ElfQuest characters (I was big into ElfQuest in high school).

Sailor Moon was what really got me into anime, though. That came out around the time I'd graduated. I watched an episode or two just for lack of anything better on, and the storyline kind of drew me in, so I kept watching. It was an actual continuing STORY, which American cartoons didn't really have those kinds of plots in the mid-nineties. But it was already on season 2, so of course I had to go find the VHS tapes from the beginning to watch. FYI, the horrible DiC dub was the only one available at that time. I actually had online friends send me copies of the fansubs so I could get the whole picture and the plot made SO much more sense that way.

• 1 year later...

I think it was Sailor Moon for me.

I do remember the earliest Anime I've watched, which I could able to comment that. It was Pokemon, when they aired the English Dub in the U.S, of this TV Network called UPN. I remembered my local channel number at the time. I'm aware every states has different local channel numbers, but the same broadcast television network. Then I think it was Digimon next on Fox Kids, which was everywhere in the states as well I think. Then Yu-Gi-Oh! on Kids WB! After that, Dragon Ball Z on Cartoon Network. It never occurred to me why we have to required Dish Network or Cable at the time to watch something like Cartoon Network, etc.  I was just happy that I'm able to watch the shows I like aired on. Something like Cartoon Network is not local, unlike the three broadcast program I've mentioned. Which I think it make sense to me.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Speed Racer, my Dad had some episodes on VHS I believe (the Mammoth Car race movie/episode) and would put that on for me when I was 2 years old. The first anime I sought out on my own was likely Pokémon or Gundam Wing. The first that I was a genuine fan of would be Outlaw Star, followed shortly by InuYasha.

2 hours ago, Zemekis said:

Speed Racer, my Dad had some episodes on VHS I believe (the Mammoth Car race movie/episode) and would put that on for me when I was 2 years old. The first anime I sought out on my own was likely Pokémon or Gundam Wing. The first that I was a genuine fan of would be Outlaw Star, followed shortly by InuYasha.

Nice. Speed Racer was also my first in the very early 90s as a little kid.

Pokemon and Dragon Ball Z came along in the late 90s for me.

• 1 month later...

My first Japanese anime?

That's actually a tough one.  My first exposure to Japanese anime was one Sunday night back in May of 1995, when I was walking around Blockbuster video and saw an aisle called "anime".  To be fair, the animation styles looked familiar, in the sense that some cartoons I watched as a kid had this style.  Nearly all the anime tapes lined up had a "Youth Restricted Viewing" thing on the corner, though, so I couldn't watch any of them, because I was 10 years old at the time.

I think my formal entry into Japanese anime was Pokémon.  That would've been in late-September or early-October of 1998; it aired on UPN9 about an hour after coming home from school.  Though, before Pokémon, I had a friend who loaned me a videotape of an anime (with permission from my mom), which was in Japanese with subtitles.  Sadly, I don't know the name of it; I only remember the lyrics to the ED containing "lay your head upon my breast" which.  But anyway, 1999 came, and I had a friend who encouraged me to check out Dragon Ball Z, to move on from Pokémon, which was considered to be too pansy (or something).  I watched what I could of Dragon Ball Z, sometimes via tapes borrowed from the aforementioned friend.  Then, some time in early-mid-January of 2000, it was discovered that we had Cartoon Network, and I could finally watch Toonami.  In March, Gundam Wing premiered on Toonami.  I could go on but I won't.

So, yeah.  The best I can remember is Pokémon.  If I saw something anime-ish earlier, it could've been one of those Saturday morning cartoons that I vaguely recall.  It might've been one done by DiC, but I can personally guarantee that I never saw The Adventures of the Galaxy Rangers.  The cartoon I grew up with was Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles; there were others, but TMNT was my shit.  And, in fairness, during that time-frame (the 1980's), America & other Western companies had collaborated with Japanese studios to produce cartoons to air on Saturday morning broadcasts, hence my confusion.  The Adventures of the Galaxy Rangers happens to be particularly notable, but I never saw it when I was a kid.  But overall, Saturday morning cartoons that were animated by Japanese studios surely don't count as "anime" here. 😅

• Like 1