Sign in to follow this  
Descelence

Does FLAC matter?

Some anime encodes include FLAC audio, as apposed to something like AAC, significantly increasing the size of each episode. Is the difference in audio fidelity worth it, or does it just serve to attract people to download their encode over someone else's. I'm starting to build my anime collection, and want to know if it;s worth the extra space.   

Lossy vs. lossless audio is not an anime specific discussion and has been around for a while with supporting arguments in each side. Searching on the net will likely get better points/arguments than what we will get here, but we can try to make this topic more anime release focused.

It is "worth it" in my opinion, but each of us have different scale of values, so you will have to choose for yourself. Because of difference in opinions, some people could also be deterred from releases with FLAC instead.

As far as I know, only positive aspect of lossy audio is size, while lossless guarantees the highest possible quality and to me the savings are not significant enough to justify using lossy audio.

I won't download an anime Blu-ray release without FLAC. Lucky for me Kametsu uploaders seem to share that sentiment. I find such excellent releases by a lot of users here.

Shame live-action encoders often use AC3 rather than maintaining a lossless audio track. Though with the arrival of Atmos, I've seen a rise of high grade audio releases.

Edited by Hayato
  • Like 1

Some people claim they can hear a difference, but whether it's true or if it's just the "placebo-effect" can be debated.

I don't have some bad-ass audio system setup so I can't hear the difference if it's a decently encoded AAC, however I prefer FLAC because it's future-proof for archivist reasons. If for some reason years from now I decide to encode it down for a mobile phone, tablet, or some specific device, I can do so without the added loss of converting lossy audio a second time.

If I ever do get a nice audio system, then I'd benefit from my archives already being at top level and not require searching out new releases to trump my archives.

• Like 1

I have a fairly decent audio equipment (5.1 + power amp + separate EQ) and I couldn't hear any difference between AAC and FLAC. But, I still downlaod lossless audio files because I like to be the one coverting them to 400kbps VBR AAC Q.1 via foobar and normalizing gains. I can't speak for cans though because I don't have one and maybe you'll notice some difference with that, but as far as loudspakers go, there is none.

I normally don't hear a difference (and when I do it is because I am comparing against a bitstarved encode) but I still tend to get flac releases anyway for anime or music ur otherwise since these days storage space is cheap and bandwidth is plentiful. It's also good for archiving and if i want to transcode something for my phone or whatever as it avoids the extra loss of quality from lossy to lossy.

Need high end equipment and great ears to hear any sort of difference between FLAC and about 256Kbps AAC / 320 Kbps MP3. If FLAC is only about twice data rate that then might as well have the best.