MPV Made Easy (Moodkiller Edition)

Moodkiller

MPV - Made Easy!
(Moodkiller Edition)

m57YoZk.pngXAqfrSWL.png

Synopsis: The MPC version for MPV. Seen as MPC is no long in active development (based from the original thread date), MPV is becoming, and should have become, your go to player. Below is the personal player configuration I use. Its a mixture of one of the stock standard gui releases with some userscripts that have been tweaked.  This is based as closely as possible on how MPC used to run in terms of shortcut keys and functionality. You should feel right at home, but up to date.

info

Feature List:

• Similar feel and behaviour to MPC-HC (shortcut keys and mouse buttons) :
    • a - Toggles audio track.
    • s - Toggles subtitle track.
    • Spacebar - Toggle pause.
    • Mouse right-click - Toggle pause.
    • Mouse side-buttons (if applicable) - Skip through chapter markers.
    • Left/Right arrow keys - Seek ~10 seconds forward/backwards
    • Up/Down arrow keys  & Mouse wheel - Increase/decrease volume by 5
    • Shift+S - Take screenshots (with subtitles).
    • Ctrl+o - Full-featured open file box.
    • Ctrl+g - Go to a specified timestamp.
  • Screen-shots are placed in the root videos directory under a new folder called "Screens".
  • Seek bar thumbnail preview.
  • Visualiser for audio tracks.
  • Remember video position of previous played file (video/audio).
  • Lightweight (no heavy filters or extra filters).
  • Adjusted OSC (On Screen Controller) have a smaller footprint and be more practical.
  • Play next sequential file in the current files folder.
  • YouTube link player (drag and drop only)
  • More as I remember them...

Installation:

One of the nicest features of MPV is that it requires no installation and can be run from its own folder (portable).

1. Clone or download this repo.
  2. Unzip to your desired location.
  3. Run updater.bat (this will download the latest MPV GUI build from the source stated below and youtube-dl if you pressed 'y' when prompted).
  4. Optional: Run installer/mpv-install.bat as administrator to set file associations.

Hexchat Integration:

Hexchats latest version (2.14.1) doesn't have any built in "now playing" plugins to use. And as of this version, the default MPC-HC "now-playing" script doesn't function. I have included a modified version of an MPV now playing script from github user, FichteFoll, in this pack. A prerequisite, Python 3.6 needs to be enabled/selected when you install Hexchat. If you have Hexchat already installed, no problem, just re-run the installer and choose Python 3.x from the Custom Installation screen (right at the bottom).

1. Right-click and copy the file 'mpv_np.py' (located in 'Hexchat plugin') from the downloaded pack.
  2. Press the Windows key+R and type '%APPDATA%\HexChat' and press enter.
  3. Paste the copied file into the 'addons' folder.
  4. In Hexchat go to Window > Plugins and Scripts > Load and browse to your addons folder where you pasted 'mpv_np.py'. Normally this is 'C:\Users\moodkiller\AppData\Roaming\HexChat\addons'
  5. You  should get confirmation to say the plugin has been loaded successfully.
  6. Type /mpv in any window while playing a file in MPV and it should spit out something like "*Moodkiller is playing: [MK] Kiznaiver - 01 [BD 1080p][Hi10][Dual-Audio][05856FFC].mkv ◘ 1.945 GiB ◘ [00:04:05 / 00:24:03] in mpv 0.28.0-437-g9efb0278e7" (with colour formatting).

Resources:

GUI build: https://sourceforge.net/projects/mpv-player-windows/files/

Collection of user scripts: https://github.com/mpv-player/mpv/wiki/User-Scripts

MPV properties page: https://mpv.io/manual/master/#synopsis

Thanks goes to all those involved for testing and their inputs for getting stuff running.

Feedback welcomed.

screens.png

GlXp12f.png

E0W622O.png

nomUrXt.png

xB3cbkY.png

downloads

Github repository: MPV-Made-Easy

Edited by Moodkiller
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 7
  • Haha 1

Very slight edit, but I changed

"osd-bar-align-y=-1"  -> "osd-bar-align-y=-0.93"

Cause I felt aligning the bar that appears up top when changing chapters or volume looked weird hugging the top of the screen and adjusting it lined it up with the text.

Also removed "ontop" because that bugs me lol.

53 minutes ago, Koby said:

Very slight edit, but I changed

"osd-bar-align-y=-1"  -> "osd-bar-align-y=-0.93"

Cause I felt aligning the bar that appears up top when changing chapters or volume looked weird hugging the top of the screen and adjusting it lined it up with the text.

Also removed "ontop" because that bugs me lol.

Lol fair enough. Cosmetic details. One point this does raise is maybe adding a "Customisation" heading and referring it back to the config files one can change.

7 minutes ago, mikezilla2 said:

Mad Vr Worth it ?

currently using shark007 .......  but .....

Uhh... so madVR is not associated with this at all. At this stage, the latest version of madVR is v0.92.14 (April 23, 2018) at the time this post. To be honest, madVR is only 'worth' if you are going to make use of all the features and post-processing it can do on video files. More often than not, this results in you changing the actual video 'quality' thats output. madVR will also use a higher percentage of system resources.  I have also never heard of shark007 but it seems like it is a collection of the codecs that you would have gotten for MPC...

1 hour ago, LucciferOO7 said:

It is giving me an error something like (invalid key name) while running the installation bat file with admin rights

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Agj_Kg93KLyOh272V5riocXyi8bq

Thats an interesting one. Okay, delete your mpv-install.bat and download this https://mega.nz/#!FeRzyIhB!iIhTXmJmQlO9Y097tQVaKOvwyhPh7B27_2rJIT0-l8s. You can save it to the same location. After which try running it again with your right-click > Run as administrator.

Edited by Moodkiller

11 minutes ago, Moodkiller said:

Thats an interesting one. Okay, delete your mpv-install.bat and download this https://mega.nz/#!FeRzyIhB!iIhTXmJmQlO9Y097tQVaKOvwyhPh7B27_2rJIT0-l8s. You can save it to the same location. After which try running it again with your right-click > Run as administrator.

Edited 8 minutes ago by Moodkiller

Thanks it worked like a charm 😋

Edited by LucciferOO7
  • Like 1

Just now, manc4life said:

Thanks for this MK. 

Also might be a silly question but does the player close after the video is over? If so how do i change that.

You are welcome.

And not at all, the default gui build that this is based on did have the player close (which I personally didn't like). This version will keep the player open until you exit it. If you want to change this, then its the second line in the mpv.conf file located in the mpv folder. You need to change

keep-open=yes

to

keep-open=no

or just delete/comment out that line entirely.

13 minutes ago, Moodkiller said:

And not at all, the default gui build that this is based on did have the player close (which I personally didn't like). This version will keep the player open until you exit it. If you want to change this, then its the second line in the mpv.conf file located in the mpv folder. You need to change

keep-open=yes

to

keep-open=no

or just delete/comment out that line entirely.

I was not a fan of that as well. This is awesome though thanks again. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Hark0n said:

I assumed that MPC-QT was already trying to do that.

>trying being the operative word I think. Looking through those issues, MPV with this configuration (and others to be honest) solves many of those issues listed, including, "Show/hide subtitle", "(option to) save and restore state per media playback" and doesn't experience a few of the others such as "Skip forward / Skip backward - Player stops after passing first/last file" and that full screen issue stated. What does look nice about QT is that it is more GUI focused, so things like playlists are a lot more manageable, not impossible with MPV and a few scripts mind you.

3 minutes ago, Moodkiller said:

things like playlists are a lot more manageable, not impossible with MPV and a few scripts mind you.

Then why not include a playlist ability here? =P

I mean, it does currently just play everything in the same folder one after the other, but erm that's not always in order because of different group tags, etc. and sometimes stuff you wanna put in a playlist isn't all in the same folder anyways.

1 hour ago, Koby said:

but erm that's not always in order because of different group tags, etc.

gee if only there were a naming scheme where that wasn't an issue :3

but srs this actually looks cool and saves me the effort of doing it myself. thanks Moodkiller.

there would be a heart at the end of that but it automatically transformed it into an emoji so I had to kill it. Sorry =(

Edited by Catar

1 hour ago, Koby said:

Then why not include a playlist ability here? =P

I mean, it does currently just play everything in the same folder one after the other, but erm that's not always in order because of different group tags, etc. and sometimes stuff you wanna put in a playlist isn't all in the same folder anyways.

I could certainly look into it =). Will get back to this when I have something. There are a few play list managers out there, but they are very minimalistic and can only be manipulated by using on screen controls and selections. I.e there is no 'gui window' as there is with mpc and such. 

4 minutes ago, Catar said:

but srs this actually looks cool and saves me the effort of doing it myself. thanks Moodkiller.

there would be a heart at the end of that but it automatically transformed it into an emoji so I had to kill it. Sorry =(

No problem Catar, happy to help. There is actually something else I want to post to "save the effort" of doing something.

Aww, it's okay, I have the email notification with said rendered heart. <3.

8 hours ago, Hagane said:

Hi. I think that as an alternative that could be very cool but although mpc is kind of dead it was replaces with mpc home cinema wich is in continous development

I think you might be mistaken / confused with what is currently in development? MPC-HC and MPC are one in the same thing, which is no longer receiving any further updates. Please see this: https://mpc-hc.org/2017/07/16/1.7.13-released-and-farewell/

What still seems to be updated is the external filters that one can use in conjunction with MPC-HC, namely madVR and xysubfilter.  

• Catar pinned this topic