toonami335

About the new Ubuntu 18.04

So today/yesterday (depending on timezone), Ubuntu 18.04 with the new Gnome interface was released.

I was sitting for a while looking at the release page (the release got delayed because of a last minute bug) with eager anticipation.

This version is a major turning point because the entire UI was changed from Unity to Gnome.

I for one, liked Unity very much. The first linux I ever used was ubuntu and it came with Unity. So, for me, it's like a core part of Ubuntu was taken away. I know a lot of people prefer other UI to Unity.

What are you guys' thoughts on dropping Unity in favor of Gnome?

• Like 1

Yes it's something to get used to, but it is tweaked a lot to look like the Unity UI and gnome isn't all that bad like many Linux users say. I personally like the change if I'm totally honest ^_^

I'm starting to get used to the new Gnome interface. For one, it looks a lot like the Unity UI. Some parts are still a bit unstable at this point. But I figure those issues will be solved in the 18.04.1 update.

Also, some of the programs I use have yet to come up with packages for 18.04 so I'm using the 16.04 versions of those with no issues till date.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

• Similar Content

• By dn_angel000
      I'm having a lot of trouble figuring out how to update IFME [Internet Friendly Media Encoder] v4.8.0.0 to v6.1.0 on Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa!

I know it's supposed to update as soon as you launch the app but I always get a no network connection error even though I am connected to the internet (hence is how I installed it in the first place!! lol)  also tried reinstalling but same thing!! lol
    • By Moodkiller
      I am stuck on a little personal project of mine where I need to create a script that will allow you to enter users (according to a specific syntax) and subsequently those users are added to the system.

Unfortunately there are specific conditions to be met where by the users must be entered as group name:base user name:number of users. E.g I want to add 5 new users to a group called "NOSL" with the base user name "NOSL-" The following should be entered into a input box as follows NOSL:NOSL-:5 

I am currently using ubuntu 13.1. 

I would greatly appreciate any and all help. There are a few more finer details that need addressing, but will add those later on. 

• By Minkseru
      Ok so I seem to have an issue with setting up the server.  My wife's computer runs the wireless router, and for whatever reason Ubuntu is not automatically connecting.  Trying to manually setup the wireless route access I will admit I am kind of beyond lost.  any helpful suggestions.  Oh and to answer a few standard questions, two computers ago the wireless router worked on ubuntu, it works on this machine's windows 7, and the wireless is reading so long as I am in Windows, but it does not want to automatically be read by Ubuntu. Ok so please fire any tidbits you might know that could help me manually set up the wireless router.  Thank you very much in advance. Otherwise me and the goombas are getting along better.