Sword Art Online Alternative: Gun Gale Online

Koby

Synopsis

Karen Kohiruimaki always felt out of place in the real world. Due to her extreme height, she found it hard to make friends with other girls her age. Everything changes when she's introduced to VR and Gun Gale Online. In GGO, Karen is free to play the cute, chibi avatar of her dreams! Can Karen find friendship in this bullet-ridden MMO...?

(Source: Yen Press)

Episode 02 took a step back from the action to give us the backstory of Pink Girl, how she came to play GGO, and how her character got to the point it has. There isn't really much there to talk about other than Pink Girl has a massive self-esteem issue about her height to the point of having mental breakdowns over playing characters who aren't short. She managed to min-max her character in a matter of a short period by sticking to herself out in the desert and PKing any players who came near until she met Pito who instantly became a friend to her (and coincidentally who happens to be the most interesting character introduced so far). It didn't show us how she met M yet though so I figure next episode is likely to be more backstory rather than getting back to the events that took place in episode 01.

On 4/18/2018 at 11:29 PM, TsukasaElkKite said:

Oh God, yeah. I was like “not again...”

To be fair, no backstory was given yet.

On 4/18/2018 at 10:27 PM, Koby said:

Episode 02 took a step back from the action to give us the backstory of Pink Girl, how she came to play GGO, and how her character got to the point it has. There isn't really much there to talk about other than Pink Girl has a massive self-esteem issue about her height to the point of having mental breakdowns over playing characters who aren't short. She managed to min-max her character in a matter of a short period by sticking to herself out in the desert and PKing any players who came near until she met Pito who instantly became a friend to her (and coincidentally who happens to be the most interesting character introduced so far). It didn't show us how she met M yet though so I figure next episode is likely to be more backstory rather than getting back to the events that took place in episode 01.

What if Pito is Kirito? That'd be hilarious. Only because I'd want to see your reaction.

54 minutes ago, NeutralHatred said:

What if Pito is Kirito? That'd be hilarious. Only because I'd want to see your reaction.

This probably hasn't been revealed in the anime yet, but Pito is not Kirito or even related.

Spoiler

Her real life name is Kanzaki Elsa and she is a siinger and songwriter.

One thing to keep in mind, though, is that the anime might omit some key elements for the anime adaptation like they did for SAO itself, but the above listed spoiler shows her real name and occupation in the real world, and was what was revealed in the Light Novel series this is based on. Many don't even seem to realize that this is based on a Light Novel, as well, just like SAO was.

• 2 weeks later...

So M is so afraid of being shot he'd rather kill his partner and forfeit or am I reading too much into that and his sudden attack on Pink Flash actually have something to do with what the letter said?

Also laughably bad animation error when they made the P90's magazine clip go on the side of the gun. -_- The animation is so inconsistent in this series.

Episode 5... good grief. So much bullshit. These people need to learn how to shut up and just pull the damn trigger already. But nooooo, let’s try to get a few dramatic words out first before pulling the trigger (giving LLENN just enough time to escape death somehow - and multiple times, at that).

Also: stormtrooper aim. If you’re standing a few feet away and still can’t manage to kill an unarmed enemy right in front of you... sigh. Out of all the shots Eva/“Boss” fired, every single one of them managed to hit P-chan (the gun) instead of the body? And then she managed to miss two headshots afterwards, right after P-chan vanished?

:beat_shot:

Edited by Scyrous

1 hour ago, Scyrous said:

Episode 5... good grief. So much bullshit. These people need to learn how to shut up and just pull the damn trigger already. But nooooo, let’s try to get a few dramatic words out first before pulling the trigger (giving LLENN just enough time to escape death somehow - and multiple times, at that).

Also: stormtrooper aim. If you’re standing a few feet away and still can’t manage to kill an unarmed enemy right in front of you... sigh. Out of all the shots Eva/“Boss” fired, every single one of them managed to hit P-chan (the gun) instead of the body? And then she managed to miss two headshots afterwards, right after P-chan vanished?

:beat_shot:

Yeah episode 5 was utterly terribly bad on all fronts all around anyway you look at it. Every fault that SAO gets hammered about, is in this episode. Surprisingly quite a few people are willing to overlook it here despite not being able to in the main show... I guess cause it's not Kirito?

As some other people have managed to put my issues into words better than I, I'll quote the sentiments I agree with:

That last action sequence was so bad. Unloading the entire magazine into a helpless enemy not once, but twice, without checking that you're hitting the target. Spraying with the p90 from 18 inches away and missing every shot. Being able to doge a bullet by moving just as fast. Oh, and the needless slow motion magazine toss directly into the pistol. It didn't even feel like they were trying this episode.

I swear the writers of SAO cannot balance shit to save their lives. They just cannot write a strong in-game character without giving it some broken mechanic. I just thought the crazy speed seemed unjustified. I mean, perhaps she is cheesing everyone else with her usual hide and rush tactics but you'd think that if she made a name for herself doing all that, people would have either a) tried to conjure a countermeasure or b) invest more into speed stats.

She was a noob and I'd argue, still very green at best during Squad Jam. I wouldn't think that she'd be someone to min/max stats that that well. I mean, she chose to go full pink because she liked it. Perhaps she lucked out with a meta change, like in the original GGO where speed(?) got buffed. And even then, you'd think that investing mostly into speed would mean less into other stats. But it just looks like she has boosted base stats. Urrgh. Using her small size to her advantage was good. Using enemies as shields was good strategy. Making her Pink Flash without any drawbacks is just silly.

• Like 1

I'm finding myself a lot more interested in the real world story line rather than what's happening in the game. It seems like ep5 was just setup for her to meet a group of players in the real world, in which case what actually happens during the game is largely inconsequential. Whether LLENN has god mode or not is only tangentially related to her personal anxiety issues or the mystery they've set up regarding Pito's and M's identities are their relationship with each other.

This is in direct contrast to Kirito's struggles in-game having real-world consequences (escaping with his life/freeing Asuna from her prison/catching a murderer), so his god mode definitely cheapened his victories a bit.

• 2 weeks later...

Episode 05.5 may be a recap, but it was worth watching for at least one reason.

It shed's light on M's actions and explains why he did what he did, which is something the TV series failed to do when given the chance. Without the recap, we're led to believe M betrayed PinkFlash because of the letter and that he was simply a coward wanting to take the cowards way out because he was afraid of dying.

The recap on the other hand tells us that after reading the letter, this was all a calculated, but reckless, plan on his part to get PinkFlash to take on the enemy solo thus confusing the other team as he figured it'd be a good idea to just let her go wild thinking she had no backup. Then he could surprise them.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/12/2018 at 2:33 AM, Koby said:

I was enjoying the show during ep1 up until Pink Girl suddenly became The Flash and wiped out nearly an entire team of experts, then it just felt like Kirito-GODMODE-crap all over again. -_-

I agree with u on this.

It was totally crap.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, InvisibleBlue said:

Unpopular opinion, but I kinda enjoy "Kirito-GODMODE-crap" and I didn't hate SAO.

I really like GGO. It's one of my favourite shows this season so far.

Don't get me wrong when I said  about"Kirito-GODMODE" being "crap" bro because I was comparing it with SAO & I myself am a huge fan of SAO series.

I like GGO too but not nearly as much as I like SAO.

• 3 weeks later...