Portable Media Player that Supports Hi10 1080p Anime?

Cryptic

5 hours ago, Moodkiller said:

Was it a used or new model that you bought? I've got my pi2 floating around somewhere, I'll see about setting it up this weekend and seeing how it performs using that guide you posted. It was mainly used as a seedbox.

It's new. I can't imagine buying a used one for how cheap they are.

Also, I used NOOBS to install the default raspbarian OS.

Edited by Cryptic

Raspberry Pi 3 Model B isn't an ideal choice for 10-bit 1080p. Right now I have mine set up with OSMC. Straight from wiki "Linux distribution based on Debian that brings Kodi to a variety of devices". So it's basically modified debian with kodi front-end. If I remember right Kodi on raspberry tries to use hardware decoding by default for everything. That's probably why you are getting artifacts while trying to play 10-bit content. I tried searching for the guide that I used to disable it but I couldn't find it. I'll edit this post if I find it later.

• Thanks 1

On Sunday, February 18, 2018 at 10:12 PM, Cryptic said:

I'm using Kodi. Followed this tutorial here: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=192499

I know its not a portable , but has anyone tried using an Xbox One X with kodi add-on ??!!!!!! I had been hunting myself but wasn't looking for a portable version . If Xbox One X is properly supported it will be a beast at playing but maybe not a good idea if its hardware ever fails . Bluray Media players in the US are not supported . I think I had read years ago that samsung could but was not allowed to support . I can only assume its an initiative to stop copies from being watchable .

On 2/27/2018 at 5:45 AM, Moodkiller said:

I was not, sorry about that Cryptic. If there is a chance you can remind me this weekend (probably your Friday), that would be a huge help. I had a feeling you would have used NOOBS to install the OS.

Sure. It's Friday for me now.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm currently looking for the exact same thing Cryptic is looking for. Instead of making a new topic with the exact same question does anybody else have any suggestions? Preferably in the $40 - $50 range (higher priced suggestions are fine too). Would an Android TV Box on Amazon be a viable option?

Seconding the Odroid C2. Rpi 3 is worse than the Odroid C1+. I have a C2 that can play games on Lakka - N64 and PSP are full speed for all the games I play, where as the Rpi 3 we have chokes on N64 games before overclocking, occasionally even after, just much less. I watch Hi10 1080p anime on my C1+, but keep in mind it depends on the encode. I've only come across one release that it couldn't handle so far, and it did have a lot of grain, was bloated, and was one of the newer releases (I haven't updated the software since installing it a year ago because it was an experimental build at the time). Audio is generally fine too - no desyncs. I imagine the C2 would have no issues on pretty much anything, especially if it was running the latest LibreELEC and kept up-to-date.

I have to warn that the micro SD card reader on it can be really finicky - it might be easier to purchase their eMMC module, their eMMC-to-microSD adapter, and one of the confirmed good USB microSD readers on their forum, and flashing with LibreELEC's own image flashing program. I couldn't find an SD card that would boot reliably, YMMV. The eMMC module is supposed to be quicker to boot from (read/write speed) anyway if I remember right.

• 1 month later...

If it supports 4K then it will most likely support h265 (h265 being the standard for 4K).

Depends on your budget. A FireTV will work, but you'll crap out with 10bit (Kodi support will also be kinda shitty). If you got the funds, go all-out and get an Nvidia Shield TV (You can find them for ~$120 on Craigslist). It has an expansion slot, but either way playing your media over the network would be ideal for convenience.

I personally just have an HTPC setup running OpenELEC. The files are read from off my NAS via SFTP. My laptop also has Kodi installed and I use that to stream my media via SFTP when im off the LAN. HDMI port lets me plug it into a TV if I want to.

Edited by WIRLYWIRLYPOOL

• 2 months later...