Portable Media Player that Supports Hi10 1080p Anime?

Cryptic

2 hours ago, Cryptic said:

I thought I read somewhere it can't handle 1080p 10bit playback...

Is anyone using a pi for this? How well does it work and what do you use to play the videos?

From my own experiments (with a pi 2 model B, not a pi 3) it can, but you have to overclock it pretty hard to get it stutter-free. You'll never find a hardware decoder for Hi10p, of course.

I personally use Intel NUCs running Windows 10 (with heavy group policy action) for my media centers hooked up to TVs with a personalized custom build of Kodi, but that's probably excessive for what you're looking for. You might look elsewhere in the Pi family, like a Banana Pi. A little bit more powerful.

Else-elsewhere, I have a few friends with Amazon Fire TVs (not the Stick, the full 4k version) and we tested those out with some of my releases. Playback was fine for both Hi10p and for my Ghost in the Shell x265 release. The Ghost in the Shell release did have a tiny bit of frame drop on high intensity scenes, but you really had to be watching for it to notice (or pull up Kodi's statistics =P). So if you want a simple retail pre-built box, Fire TV might be good for you as well.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Cryptic said:

I thought I read somewhere it can't handle 1080p 10bit playback...

Is anyone using a pi for this? How well does it work and what do you use to play the videos?

Specifically the Pi 3?? I would imagine the Pi 2 and original having issues because of them being underpowered (enforced by what Catar said above). But the Pi 3 has a decent upgrade (and could still be over clocked). Something like that with Kodi shouldn't be a problem.

9 hours ago, Moodkiller said:

Specifically the Pi 3?? I would imagine the Pi 2 and original having issues because of them being underpowered (enforced by what Catar said above). But the Pi 3 has a decent upgrade (and could still be over clocked). Something like that with Kodi shouldn't be a problem.

I'm not sure really, I just remember reading something about it somewhere... I just wanted to confirm before getting one.

I've got an ODroid C2 set up for home media, I'd def. recommend that if you can get it by you, its VPU handles up to 4K HEVC flawlessly although some really nice encodes from this forum in 10-bit H.264 did stutter (720p was fine tho), everything else is exceptional. Also coupled with Plex, then you've got everything else covered.

• Thanks 1

I got my pi today and put it together. I went through a lot of annoying shit, but it's all setup now. Testing playback, there's definitely artifacts with 10bit 1080p. Subtitles don't have any blurring it seems, and they delay a bit, especially with a lot of signs. Audio sounds off when there's a lot going on (becomes a little slow, and off tune, which was oddly creepy).

I have yet to try overclocking, but so far the pi seems like a bad choice overall. I may have to stick with burning in subtitles so my TV can play it flawlessly :/

1 hour ago, Cryptic said:

I got my pi today and put it together. I went through a lot of annoying shit, but it's all setup now. Testing playback, there's definitely artifacts with 10bit 1080p. Subtitles don't have any blurring it seems, and they delay a bit, especially with a lot of signs. Audio sounds off when there's a lot going on (becomes a little slow, and off tune, which was oddly creepy).

I have yet to try overclocking, but so far the pi seems like a bad choice overall. I may have to stick with burning in subtitles so my TV can play it flawlessly :/

... What on earth were you using as a player? None of that should be happening with a proper media player. The only thing you'll have is video artifacting and wrong colors if you try to hardware decode 10-bit (gotta make sure it software decodes). 

4 minutes ago, Catar said:

... What on earth were you using as a player? None of that should be happening with a proper media player. The only thing you'll have is video artifacting and wrong colors if you try to hardware decode 10-bit (gotta make sure it software decodes). 

I'm using Kodi. Followed this tutorial here: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=192499

5 hours ago, Catar said:
7 hours ago, Cryptic said:

... What on earth were you using as a player?

I second this reaction. Also just for our clarification, which version of Pi did you get??

On 2/16/2018 at 10:33 AM, Catar said:

From my own experiments (with a pi 2 model B, not a pi 3) it can, but you have to overclock it pretty hard to get it stutter-free.

They are not ideal .. 720p Hi10 plays but with obvious stuttering and 1080p Hi10 stutters badly and green pixels all over .. I have the pi3. Overclocking just overheats the device!

The best option is just to get a mini PC like the Intel NUC or the Zotac .. support out of the box !

• Thanks 1

On 2/20/2018 at 10:44 AM, Cryptic said:

Was it a used or new model that you bought? I've got my pi2 floating around somewhere, I'll see about setting it up this weekend and seeing how it performs using that guide you posted. It was mainly used as a seedbox.

I haven't tried it on my PC, but my Sony Xperia Z4 10.1 inch tablet can play 1080p 10-bit dual audio MKV BluRay rips. During initial startup of video playback, it has some blocking up appear on screen but clears up for the rest of the episode. I know my Xperia Tab Z was able to hook up to a TV via displayiport(plugs in through the tablet's microUSB port) to HDMI, I think it was, so the Z4 should be able to do that also. It also has screen mirroring and google cast support. All I used to run the videos was K Lite Video Player No Codec on the Google Play Store with default settings. It might run with no slowdowns due to having a 2Ghz octacore CPU and 3GB RAM.

Edited by ragnawind
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ElementalCards said:

VLC can't handle BluRay content on my Samsung phone, but regular HD rips are exempt from this odd behavior...

My Samsung Galaxy S6 Active has no problem playing the few Kametsu releases I tried in 1080p 10-bit FLAC with ASS-styled kfx and signs via VLC.

If regular HD WEBRips work for you, but not Blu-ray encodes, it's likely the difference in bitrate and encoder settings. WEBRips/WEB-DL are usually encoded to be hardware decoding compatible while a lot of encodes, especially anime encoded via 10-bit x264, are decoded only on the software side.

• Thanks 2