littlefriend420

Looking for Recommendations

Hello, all. I am looking for recommendations. I'm pretty green when it comes to anime, so I don't really know where to start. My exposure has been casual at best: Akira, Dragon Ball Z, Fist of the North Star, Afro Samurai (does that count?), maybe couple others here and there.

A friend of mine recommended Orange and Kiznaiver which I'm about to dive into, and I've got a couple more Studio Trigger series queued up if I like those. I also have most of the Studio Ghibli stuff because I've heard so many good things about it and it seems fairly accessible.

I'm pretty open minded but I'm generally into sci-fi, but not necessarily action/sci-fi, though that can be fun, too. Ideally I'd like something a bit headier and thought-provoking regardless of the genre.  Noir-ish stuff is always good. But as long as the writing and plot is good I can go for just about anything.

I'd also appreciate if y'all could point me towards some good sources of the original Dragon Ball Z series, for nostalgia's sake. I don't really have a preference, but I think I'd prefer the uncut versions.

Also, is it generally better to get subbed or dubbed stuff? Or is it all preferential? I use subtitles for everything I watch regardless, so it's not a deterrent. I'm just looking for the best possible experience.

Thanks for your help!

Edit - One last thing. I'd also appreciate it if anyone knows a good site for cover art, preferably free. Gotta make my media look pretty.

Edited by littlefriend420

I would highly recommend Cowboy Bebop. Sounds like right up your alley. Ergo Proxy also sounds like it'll be for you. Neon Genesis Evangelion too. The aforementioned should keep you going for a good while, but there's so much good stuff out there. 

In terms of Sub vs. Dub, I always go for sub. I find Japanese voice acting to be a lot better. 

Code Geass and FMA:B(#1 on MAL) are good. +1 for Cowboy Bebop. 

I always go for dub unless it isn't available or is real bad. All the above mentioned series' have great dubs.

DHD has made a release of DBZ in 1080p.

https://nyaa.si/view/660445 More than 250gigs though.

For cover art, I would say fanart.tv. All series might not be available but for more popular ones you can probably get logos, banners, wallpapers etc in addition to cover art.

That DBZ link from nyaa will probably take awhile to download cause of the amount of leachers. It might be probably easier to download it from here

https://animetorrents.me/torrent-details.php?torid=13144 (You do need to make an account though) 

56 seeders/20 leachers atm.

Also I'll say watch Attack on Titan. It's probably the most popular anime of this decade. 

Edited by Ashven288

Just now, Ashven288 said:

That DBZ link from nyaa will probably take awhile to download cause of the amount of leeachers. It might be probably easier to download it from here

https://animetorrents.me/torrent-details.php?torid=13144 (You do need to make an account though) 

56 seeders/20 leachers atm.

I was on my phone so I put a link from the easiest source nyaa. That torrent is freeleech as it is more than 15gb.

Series from various genres:
Death note
Attack on Titan
Samurai Champloo

Cowboy Bebop
Space Dandy

Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Hunter x Hunter (2011)

Trigun

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
Kill la Kill

Black Lagoon

Gungrave

Mob Psycho 100

JoJo's bizarre adventures

Death Note

Baccano!
91 Days 

Rurouni Kenshin: Tsuiokuhen 

Jin-roh: The Wolf Brigade
Steins;Gate
Gankutsuou
Fate Zero
Fate/ Stay/ Night : Unlimited Bladeworks 
The Tatami Galaxy: 
Ping Pong The Animation
Kaiba
Devilman Crybaby
Darker Than Black
Aoi Bungaku Series: 
Barakamon
ERASED
Code Geass
Death Parade
Hellsing Ultimate 
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders 
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable 
Kara no Kyoukai movie series
Kekkai Sensen
Kino no Tabi: The Beautiful World
Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon
Kyousou Giga
Mononoke
Monster
Paranoia Agent
No Game No Life
FLCL
Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt
Prison School
Seirei no Moribito
Shingeki no Bahamut: Genesis
Soul Eater
Mawaru Penguindrum
Mushishi 

Thought Provoking Sci Fi anime:
Ghost in the shell: SAC + 2nd GiG
Psycho Pass
Neon Genesis Evangelion + The End of Evangelion
Shinsekai yori
Parasyte -the maxim
Ergo Proxy
Madoka Magica
Time of Eve (Movie)
Ghost in The Shell (Movie)

Planetes

Texhnolyze

Serial Experiments Lain

Memories (1995) (Movie)

Haibane Renmei

Angel's Egg (Movie)

Wolf's Rain.

Movies:
Your Name
Garden of The Words
The Girl Who Leapt  Through Time 
Patema Inverted
A Silent Voice
Wolf Children 
The Boy and The Beast
Summer Wars
Perfect Blue
Millennium actress
Paprika
Vampire Hunter D
Redline
Sword of the Stranger
Tekkon Kinkreet}
All movies by studio Ghibli

Edited by CyborgIcarus29

There are always good options! 

Start with some Golden Examples (Just ones i Personally have Seen 2x+):

Cowboy Bebop, Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood (Follows Closer to the manga than Regular Fullmetal Alchemist and is much better in my opinion, though most people agree brotherhood is a more enjoyable watch), Angel Beats, Hunter x Hunter, Kill la Kill, Eureka Seven, Ghost in The Shell, Steins; Gate, is this a zombie?, Irregular at Magic Highschool, Strike the Blood, Btooom, Blood+, Gate Thus the JSDF Fought There, Kenichi the Mightiest Disciple, YuYu Hakusho, K-on!, Sword Art Online, Sekirei, Overlord, Shimoneta, Highschool DxD, Cardcaptor Sakura, Berserk, Hellsing Ultimate, To Love Ru Series and the Monogatari Series

The super popular ones arent the only good ones though! I also Enjoyed ones like these: Nura rise of the youkai clan, Interview with monster girls, Seitokai Yakuindomo (One of my Personal Favs!!!), Campione, dance in the vampire bund, Love Lab, Tayutama- Kiss on my Diety, Gosick, Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle, Renkin-san Kyuu Magical Pokaan, Magikano, Maburaho, Witch Craft Works, Tonari no Seki-kun, Namiuchigiwa no Muromi-san, and Working!!

They're all good!!! Give these a try your bound to find a few you'll love!

Sub and Dub debate sadly lead some people to be idiots defending their choice instead of acknowledging everyone has the right to their opinion and  will try to bully you into what they think is best. The end truth is sometimes you will find really bad dubs like the Cutie Honey Live movie where they did manage to ruin a lot of the humor, but for the most part many dubbed anime series are done very well or at the very least good enough to watch. Some companies will possibly try and localize some thing for a better understanding while others will be more faithful. On the other hand, some subs can be hard to keep up with and see what is going on so it can be a challenge to watch. Either way it ends up being what you personally enjoy and can deal with as the true answer to the whole sub and dub debate can only be answered by each individual person taking in their preferences and nobody else can really make the choice for someone else. As I said don't let someone bully you into choosing one or another,  pick the one you get the most enjoyment out of.

As for suggestions, you could check out some classics such as:

Robotech/Macross

Magic Knight Rayearth

Tenchi

Slayers

Ranma 1/2

Vampire Hunter D

Orguss

Devil Hunter Yohko

Just about any Studio Ghibli Movie

Dominion Tank Police

Tekkaman Blade

Many of the different Gundam series

Maid Sama

Then there are some great newer ones like:

Date A Live

Bride of the Ancient Magus

What are you doing at the end of the world? Will you save me?

Citrus (May be a bit uncomfortable for some with it's sensitive subject matter to some)

Overlord

Hyperdimension Neptunia

Aria the Scarlet Ammo

Infinite Stratos

Little Witch Academia

Now we come to another thing that I just thought of that is seperate from the normal dub and sub debate in my mind, but something I thought warranted mentioning. Many people will tell you dub is bad and evil because they changed a bunch of stuff. This isn't the case as these shows like this aren't just dubbed, they are edited and edited heavily. Cardcaptors, Dic's Sailor Moon and Glitter Force are glaring examples of this. While I personally found these shows great (well, I could have done with Glitter Force keeping it's name of PreCure instead of changing it), they are heavily edited from the original and I agree that highly sucks. Whole episodes were left out and other episodes butchered combining scenes from a couple episodes to make one episode. While I don't agree with this practice and it does irk me, I prefer having something to nothing and do still enjoy them though after watching the original fansubs, I can easily tell what they left out or changed.

I think Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood, as most people said until now, is a great option to start, for sure the greatest Shounen and one of the, if not the greatest anime in general. Or if you want you can simply rewatch an older series like Dragon Ball Z. It's very refreshing to refamiliarize with an older series.