Maynard

The Angry Beavers Seasons 3 & 4 Restoration Project (HELP NEEDED!)

Hi-dee-ho, Maynard here

I'm looking to remaster The Angry Beavers using the Shout Factory DVDs and AviSynth filters TComb and WarpSharp.

Here are some samples of the filters in effect:

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/123278

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/123279

There's just one problem standing in the way.

The filter I'm using to remove the Dot Crawling seems to be merging with the wrong frame:h4puHkY.png

Each frame in the original footage has an identical one right after that, where if you blend them together, their individual dots cancel each other out. Is there any way to blend the frames with their identical variations instead of the different frame after?

I'm looking only to restore Seasons 3 & 4, as 1 & 2 don't have these issues, and are just blurry (as if the camera was near-sighted.)

On a side note: Are there any other filters I should add?

Well, what you are doing doesn't look bad at all so far. There are a lot of people here with DVD source encoding experience.

Do you have a vob sample of the source you can share?

53 minutes ago, Garo7 said:

Well, what you are doing doesn't look bad at all so far. There are a lot of people here with DVD source encoding experience.

Do you have a vob sample of the source you can share?

Well, not a .vob, but an .mkv:

https://photos (dot) app (dot) goo (dot) gl/ObTgYNk8ydzFR3bo1 (459.1 MB)

Hopefully it lets you download the raw file too and it doesn't get taken down too soon.

EDIT: for some reason, it censored my link.

Edited by Maynard

Actually, I don't think this link works for me. Is there a different link I can use to get the file?

Always use mpeg2source as your frame server in AVISynth. If you use anything else you WILL get out of sequence frames every so often. 

Anyway, here’s your idea:

SeparateFields()

evn=SelectEven().Dup(threshold=8, maxcopies=1, blend=true, show=false)

odd=SelectOdd().Dup(threshold=8, maxcopies=1, blend=true, show=false)

interleave(evn,odd)

Weave()

lower the the Dup factor if you find you’re missing very small movements. You’ll get less effective dot crawl removal though.

Full disclosure: this code is lifted from a videohelp post that I remembered reading. 

Edited by SaurusX