Garo7

Anyone have experience Encoding from PAL DVD Source?

So, I am curious as to why I am getting a 2 step edge on the top and/or bottom of the image after encoding a PAL DVD source? In trying to research this I am not finding any references to it.

Size is native 768 x 576. Or I upsize to 960 x 720, but the problem with the top and bottom edges is still there. Like an inverse two step top and bottom frame, as if 1/2 of the entire frame was shifted up a couple of pixels so that the top and bottom edges are uneven. I am de-interlacing top field first, and I am just guessing I am missing something critical regarding deinterlacing and encoding a PAL source.

Please let me know if you are familiar with this issue and/or happen to know what the resolution might be.  <- (video pun)

:)

Edited by Garo7

The solution is to only use PAL if you have to.  Almost everything (except BBC stuff) originates in NTSC so when you deal with PAL you're dealing with material that has already been converted.  Sometimes it's converted badly.  Post some pictures of what you see.  Or even better post a small clip extracted from dgindex (i.e. material you haven't encoded yet).

Well, this is a UK DVD release. I think it's actually better visually than the NTSC version. It's nearly twice the bit-rate on some episodes, and is generally encoding better than the NTSC, except for this top-bottom edge thing. I'll see about posting an example later.

On 10/26/2017 at 7:56 AM, SaurusX said:

The solution is to only use PAL if you have to.  Almost everything (except BBC stuff) originates in NTSC so when you deal with PAL you're dealing with material that has already been converted.  Sometimes it's converted badly.  Post some pictures of what you see.  Or even better post a small clip extracted from dgindex (i.e. material you haven't encoded yet).

Well, not really a big deal. I'll just crop it and pad a slight border top and bottom to maintain PAR when zoomed to full screen. Problem solved.

uc?export=download&id=0B6WbXzK_-5imRWk0Z

I see what you mean.  This seems to be very very common on PAL DVD's  There's never any offsetting to the rest of the image.  I think it's similar to closed captioning information on NTSC video.  It's a non-issue.