Don't share links outside Kametsu

gbp877

9 minutes ago, Catar said:

attempting to ban any particular platform is more likely to just encourage the less scrupulous members to deliberately work around whatever methods we put in place (which they can, and will do.)

Exactly, there are some characters out there that just live for the lulz of messing things up for others.

In the case of the last fiasco I think it was just some idjuts playing 'big man' because they could supply links that others didn't know about.

Edited by MaxxCatt

2 hours ago, Catar said:

Not only that but it's essentially unenforceable. There's no way to truly trace back how someone arrived at the website, and attempting to ban any particular platform is more likely to just encourage the less scrupulous members to deliberately work around whatever methods we put in place (which they can, and will do.)

Ahh yes human nature at it's finest. I laugh till I'm red in the face every time politicians think they can stop people from obtaining guns and drugs by making them illegal. Same for piracy law, even if you get caught you're not gonna stop, you're just gonna find out how to continue without getting caught again. Same for everything lol.

• Like 2

I just popped on here ,,been awhile and noticed this thread....

I've always if feeling the need to re-share something ,,downloaded to my own computer then re-uploaded to my own host,,eg:: create my own link to re-share..

this for for the respect of the original uploader ,,plus I ask if I can re-share ....

.....many folks just seem to have very bad manners now-a-days and that is a sad event,,,I wonder if they realize how much damage they can and are doing ????

Edited by Neko-fish
spelling errors

12 minutes ago, Inverti said:

I've got the perfect solution. Why not just close registration? This is already a big enough community. We don't need any more members, especially link stealing fucks. 

I thought that was the solution too, but someone'll say something like if we closed registration like a month or 2 ago we wouldn't have Scy and they'd be right. You never know when a major contributor is gonna join out of nowhere. If only my family had some sort of sign upxDno one in my family contributes anything positive to my life

Edited by DabDeity710

Just now, DabDeity710 said:

I thought that was the solution too, but someone'll say something like if we closed registration like a month or 2 ago we wouldn't have Scy and they'd be right. You never know when a major contributor is gonna join out of nowhere

If someone wants to be a contributor here, then they can prove themselves first OUTSIDE of this site. You know how there's a gajillion pirates outside here that put out good shit? They could use those as proof of their contributions and willingness to help out the community. Otherwise, registration should be closed to the general public, leaving only potential contributors as exceptions; they can be evaluated outside here through some other means.

You know how Bakabt only allows a select number of people to sign up nowadays? We could do the same thing.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Inverti said:

If someone wants to be a contributor here, then they can prove themselves first OUTSIDE of this site. You know how there's a gajillion pirates outside here that put out good shit? They could use those as proof of their contributions and willingness to help out the community. Otherwise, registration should be closed to the general public, leaving only potential contributors as exceptions; they can be evaluated outside here through some other means.

You know how Bakabt only allows a select number of people to sign up nowadays? We could do the same thing.

The way you phrase it, suggests that only "pirates that put out good shit" should be considered contributors and accepted in Kametsu. I have been under the impression that Kametsu is more than file repository and is also a place for discussion - I have even heard that in the past there was no file sharing at all and site still thrived.

There is also a possibility that a new member might develop their skills here and start providing "good shit" only after joining. It took me more than 2 years before my first upload, so I would not feel right asking that for new members.

I could see this as an option, if we would simply increase section access restriction to new members. Currently the VIP section seems to be accessible after certain post count, but that can be achieved through non-productive means - most commonly by new members posting large number of "Thank you!" style messages. If those could be somehow not counted towards total post count, it could help a little, but I don't think there is a way to do that. Alternatively, the VIP section could become "invite only", but it would likely produce more work for staff to manage invites.

The only reasonable solution that I see is not using DDLs - torrents and XDCC are less affected by take-down requests. And if leachers downloaders are not willing to use these methods, they either don't care enough or are too lazy and would be poor members of the community to begin with.

• Like 2

Either close off registration like I've said, or increase restrictions for content threads. You know how your rank increases as you make more posts? I think that's feasible, too. Maybe we should add in a guideline that requires members be more descriptive in their posts. Empty "thank you"s are unneeded.

I was hoping on forum software update 4.2.0 - that would introduce "Thanks" reaction that should make "Thank you" posts obsolete, allowing to add proper rule for not using them in forum. Currently it would not be as reasonable to discourage certain expression as alternative ("Like" button) might not be adequate is some cases - I personally would discourage it, but there are many other things I would like to discourage as well, so that is not a good way of doing things.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Hark0n said:

I was hoping on forum software update 4.2.0 - that would introduce "Thanks" reaction that should make "Thank you" posts obsolete, allowing to add proper rule for not using them in forum. Currently it would not be as reasonable to discourage certain expression as alternative ("Like" button) might not be adequate is some cases - I personally would discourage it, but there are many other things I would like to discourage as well, so that is not a good way of doing things.

This "thanks" feature would need to include symphogear gifs for catar:haha:

I've read through many of your posts here and agree on most reasoning. Yes there's a lot of members who use "empty" thank you posts to get access to restricted areas(VIP seaction), but currently there's no other means of showing graduate towards content uploaded, yes you can like content to show you appreciation towards content posted by a contributor, but you only get a certain amount of likes a day which is bullshit if you ask me, so unfortunately there's those of us who actually say thank you, because we mean it and not because we want extra post credit. 

7 minutes ago, DRX said:

I've read through many of your posts here and agree on most reasoning. Yes there's a lot of members who use "empty" thank you posts to get access to restricted areas(VIP seaction), but currently there's no other means of showing graduate towards content uploaded, yes you can like content to show you appreciation towards content posted by a contributor, but you only get a certain amount of likes a day which is bullshit if you ask me, so unfortunately there's those of us who actually say thank you, because we mean it and not because we want extra post credit. 

I have been hearing references to limit, but I have never encountered it. How many "likes" per day is it?

How many uploads a day we usually get? I don't think it should hit the limit and it is unlikely that there is a need for single member to download/like everything that get's uploaded.

I personally try to limit my usage of "likes" as I consider heavy usage to devaluate them. As an example - would it be accurate to "pay" the same appreciation for a good argument that takes about 15 min to make and a complete release of a show that has taken days to make? The more "likes" we have, the less value they will have (like in inflation).

There is also an argument of possible abuse of that as well, if there was some reward system based on "likes" (I don't think we have one).

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Hark0n said:

I have been hearing references to limit, but I have never encountered it. How many "likes" per day is it?

How many uploads a day we usually get? I don't think it should hit the limit and it is unlikely that there is a need for single member to download/like everything that get's uploaded.

I personally try to limit my usage of "likes" as I consider heavy usage to devaluate them. As an example - would it be accurate to "pay" the same appreciation for a good argument that takes about 15 min to make and a complete release of a show that has taken days to make? The more "likes" we have, the less value they will have (like in inflation).

There is also an argument of possible abuse of that as well, if there was some reward system based on "likes" (I don't think we have one).

You make a valid point. The limit is 15 for me. I'm not used to reaching the limit so quick, but the past few days I reach the limit quite fast just by liking several posts, not 15 far less then that, maybe 5.

Edited by DRX

3 hours ago, Inverti said:

That's backwards thinking. What if I had never done that ATLA 1080p remaster? Would I have been rejected straight away? I turned out to be a ''major contributor'' here as DabDeity put it, but only because I got the chance to learn and develop my skills here. I was a rookie back when I worked on ATLA. I didn't know a thing about encoding, aegisub or muxing until I joined this place.

I agree with @Hark0n here. Everyone, regardless of previous contributions/work, deserves that chance.

• Like 1