What is your age and why are you still watching cartoons?

olympustenay

22 hours ago, Googler123 said:

26 here and the biggest 2 reasons are nostalgia and the fact that most of today's stuff are trash tier.

Besides Rick and Morty, Legend of Korra and Gravity Falls there is nothing in the past 5 years that has even remotely grabbed my attention. Ok, samurai jack, but that probably doesn't count since it's a continuation of sorts.

Not to mention the fact that most of the older series have many puns and sly stuff you couldn't pick up on when you were little.

Just watch some Ed, Edd'n Eddy or Johnny Bravo and you'll see what I'm getting at.

J.B.: "It's a beautiful day ... but not as beautiful as me.". Gets me every damn time.

Not even something like Over the Garden Wall? :o

12 hours ago, olympustenay said:

Well I asked this question because I have been downloading some of my favorites. I realized yesterday that I am 28 years old and maybe I am just wasting my time and space because I may not like cartoons anymore :(. Also people may make fun of me for watching cartoons at my age :(

I don't believe someone can "grow" out of cartoons unless they are written just to entertain/educate infants (even then parents often get drawn in). A lot of hard work and creativity goes into making most cartoons, and they are an art form that needs more respect in our culture.

I haven't had anyone make fun of me but I wouldn't care if they did. I mean, look at Japan, the majority of them enjoy Anime and Manga are they all immature then? No. Cartoons are just like any other form of entertainment.

• Like 2

On 10/13/2017 at 8:16 AM, olympustenay said:

That sounds nice. Which games do u play there ? Do you have a console ?

Just a regular hand held devices (GBA, DS and 3DS). I'd love to play my N64 tho.

17 hours ago, thefarmboy said:

I don't believe someone can "grow" out of cartoons unless they are written just to entertain/educate infants (even then parents often get drawn in). A lot of hard work and creativity goes into making most cartoons, and they are an art form that needs more respect in our culture.

I haven't had anyone make fun of me but I wouldn't care if they did. I mean, look at Japan, the majority of them enjoy Anime and Manga are they all immature then? No. Cartoons are just like any other form of entertainment.

Yup, I may be an older guy now but I still maintain my household responsibilities. Look at South Park and Family Guy, excellent examples that cartoons shouldn't be written off as kids only.

Edited by ElementalCards
  • Like 2

I never understood why it matters to anyone what you do in the comfort of your own home, There are plenty of people who will pass judgement on you for a variety of reasons including still watching cartoons intended for children.

"Oh, you watch a kids cartoon? Grow up!" and to that I say, why should I? I need a more cogent argument than that and quite frankly I don't believe anyone can provide me with a satisfactory one.

Even shows intended for really young kids, what is the harm in an adult finding enjoyment in that? 

The harm comes in if you start to obsessively build your life around things to the exclusion of all other things sure, but there are Game of Throne fanatics who take their love of their dragon show way too far as well.

I'm 33, I am quite happy to consume ANY sort of media, I honestly don't care what it is - if it entertains me I find value in it. :P

• Like 6

On 10/13/2017 at 9:45 PM, NightBlade said:

Not even something like Over the Garden Wall? :o

Hmm, that one was pretty short imo. More like a movie of sorts. Definitely good, but I didn't find it as revolutionary as many ppl have.

Maybe there was something I missed, idk. But lets add it and Adventure Time, since I also watched that for a while, not lately though.

You can count the shows on the fingers of one hand. Compare that to the 90's 2000's era.

47 minutes ago, EccentricOne said:

I'm 33, I am quite happy to consume ANY sort of media, I honestly don't care what it is - if it entertains me I find value in it. :P

Same. Movies, Shows, Cartoons, Anime, Music, Games; doesn't matter. If it's ok by my standards then idgaf. Even random youtube parodies :D

• Like 3

So, is this question about why we are still "downloading" cartoons, or watching them?

If downloading, because hard-drives take up less space than dvd cases, and because damage to disks over time is more prominent than damage to hard-drives over time, I can fit dozens of shows onto a hard-drive that can fit inside a DVD case and take it with me anywhere, and IF there was a sort of crackdown on piracy of sorts, and in the future I were no longer able to download these shows, or they somehow disappeared completely (in the cases of older/more obscure shows) I wouldn't want to lose the opportunity to watch them, or share them with others.

And in the case of things like Teen Titans, the best quality versions are basically only available for download, etc.

If it's why I still watch them? Well, because a good idea is a good idea regardless of the medium in which it is presented, and animated mediums are simply less restrictive than live action.

• Like 1

I'm 21 and for the better most of my life I spent it outside my home country and since I lived in a culturally sensitive country the only TV channels that I could find was a German kids channel (Super RTL)which was completely in German and we had cartoon network USA for a month and then the best part is boomerang in French for a couple of years . I really started watching cartoons (following the story and understanding the language) only when I was 12  then it stopped I don't know when .

Family and friends who are not familiar with cartons is from whom you can expect snide remarks . On days which I am at my worst cartoons unlock that joy and helps you in finding the solutions with ease.

• Like 2

• Koby changed the title to What is your age and why are you still watching cartoons?