Hard-drive recommendations for archiving?

DRX

I still haven't tried the "NAS" WD or anything that is meant for archiving, but from my bro and I's experience WD is 500x better than Seacrap.  the HDDs I have had good use has been WD and Hitachi. Toshiba has been good as well but idk the current ones. The only WD one that died on me was an old Xbox og 8gb HDD, but that was to be expected and I didn't lose nothing important.

• Like 1

Hitachi was bought out by WD and rebranded into HGST. A very solid choice for storage but expensive.

The more expensive hard drives (Like HGST) have a name associated to them (Enterprise Hard Drive) which implies a longer life expectancy and better equipment like preventing disk & needle damage from shaking/bumping.

TL:DW From Unbox Therapy's "Don't get that wrong drive dog!" video

WD Black > Video editing & heavy usage

WD Blue > Everyday usage

WD Red > NAS storage (Most preffered. If you get a ransomeware virus, you'd be fucked, but NAS is disconnected from the PC and should be safe.)

WD Purple > 24/7 Surveillance/Streaming for constant writing of video

Edited by EmptyBasket
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

Honestly, I just buy two of whatever the most affordable space/dollar ratio is at that precise moment and use one as a redundant drive. When my "playing" drive dies out, I just buy a replacement and make it my new redundant drive and the old redundant drive becomes my "playing" drive. Right now I've got 26 terabytes in active use, with about thirty in old drives that I've retired (for instance, replacing my old 1TB drives with 8TB drives). Retired drives I often use as myriad redundancies or "Worst Case Scenario" archives, with the hope that I could at least piece some of my collection back together. Retired drives I usually keep off-site in a storage unit. I'd like to get to a point where I can keep my redundant drives offsite as well, but I update them too regularly for that to be practical.

• Like 1