Hard-drive recommendations for archiving?

DRX

Everyone hates seagate. I've only heard people talk shit, never heard anything good said about a seagate drive. The only hard drive I've had that crapped out was seagate. Currently I have 3 portable 4tb seagates and a portable 4tb WD. I don't like the home ones cuz they require phantom power so I've been sticking to portable ones

• Like 2

11 hours ago, DabDeity710 said:

Everyone hates seagate. I've only heard people talk shit, never heard anything good said about a seagate drive. The only hard drive I've had that crapped out was seagate. Currently I have 3 portable 4tb seagates and a portable 4tb WD. I don't like the home ones cuz they require phantom power so I've been sticking to portable ones

Yes I agree portable drives are best since they don't relay on secondary power. I use WD HDD's myself. Not a fan of Seagate. Had a bad experience once. 

12 hours ago, DRX said:

Which HDD's do you recommend? WD OR Seagate or other HDD manufacturers? 3.5 inch or 2.5 inch? And what size?

I use WD and have used them for 10 years now and never had a failure. I have 8 external WD HDD's. Also have Seagate which I stupidly bought and am going to replace and use for data that is not important in the future. I did not know at the time how unreliable Seagate was. We were all noobs once (maybe still am, psst, don't tell anyone ;)). From everyone I have ever know and just technical forums, they all tell me to avoid Seagate like the plague. Opinions may vary though. I have seen failure rate reports that were quite bad compared to say WD or other brands. Also heard bad things about the warranty and support. But it's all hear say. Have never had one fail myself yet *knocks on wood*.

I would not buy a portable model, I have 2 of them and I am not happy with them. For some reason they keep rebooting themselves every so often. It does not happen a lot, every other day or so but it has happened when transferring files and that has corrupted files. That should not happen. Found out that these portable HDD's do that on occasion and that it is not uncommon.

Hope this helps.

• Like 3

I don't see why. I just share everything in my home network and it works great. To all my PC's, Samsung Galaxy Tab, Laptop and even my PS3 and PSP/Vita in the past, easy as can be. Don't see why I would need a NAS server. But to be honest. I have only read about it a few times, my knowledge about it is not that big. Although I do understand the concept. I think there are users here who are very well learned in the arts of NAS usage and would know very well how to explain it, way better than me :) . I just never saw any use for it at all for me personally. But maybe I am missing some crucial thing that makes it incredible. Don't moan about it till you try it I always say ;) .

I would like to moan about Kate Beckinsale now, can I try her out for a spin please? Talk about moaning... Damn!!! She can suck my blood any day! :beauty:

• Like 1

Just now, DabDeity710 said:

Love her accent so much:x:x

Accent, does she talk? I am in my "No Zone" when she is on screen. Still don't know what all those Underworld movies are all about. Probably BDSM with all that leather. The 3rd one I could follow though, guess why :baffle:

201602_1009_gfhfe_sm.jpg

(just kidding folks)

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, DabDeity710 said:

Considering Danny McBride did some of the writing I wouldn't doubt itxD

Tom Hanks enjoyed it, you can see it in his face, the climax. The final shot of pure (censored).

Did not know even Kametsu has censoring. I finally crossed a line. Moehahahahaha!!!!

Feel the power of (censored). Hihi!

What was the word? You can only guess!

Here we go again:

Disclaimer: No spoilers in the video, for people that want to avoid spoilers. Because everyone hates spoilers!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Loyal Wolf said:

Tom Hanks enjoyed it, you can see it in his face, the climax. The final shot of pure (censored).

Did not know even Kametsu has censoring. I finally crossed a line. Moehahahahaha!!!!

Feel the power of (censored). Hihi!

I recall Catar using the NSFW tag on one of his uploads, that sly dog

• Like 2