Windows 7 or Windows 10?

DRX

Windows 10 is a lot better now. Ideal if you install it as a fresh instance and not do an in place upgrade, as that usually brings across all the issues and makes new ones crop up.

Pro tip: Install a fresh copy of Windows 10 and use your Windows 7 key to activate it \o/

Pro tip 2: The upgrade assistant will still upgrade your Windows 7 and 8 machines. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

I really want to update to the newest generation of intel processors, but then I see the motherboard software drivers only allow for windows 10 :,/

Alas would be nice to play some forza horizon 3. Looks like its gonna be a dual boot (and let the generic drivers for windows 7 do their thing) whenever the time comes. Which didn't windows 7 push an update out so that its not compatible with intels 7th generation and onward? Of course there is a workaround but yeesh...

Edited by agekindly

53 minutes ago, agekindly said:

I really want to update to the newest generation of intel processors, but then I see the motherboard software only allows for windows 10 :,/

Alas would be nice to play some forza horizon 3. Looks like its gonna be a dual boot (and let the generic drivers for windows 7 do their thing) whenever the time comes. Which didn't windows 7 push an update out so that its not compatible with intels 7th generation and onward? Of course there is a workaround but yeesh...

Because Microsoft is cutting support for it in 2020, as I said. Why would Intel continue to support it if the creator of it won't? Less work for them so they can continue to support current generation hardware and software. As far as I know, you can't even boot to a Win7 installation on a 7th gen.

People need to stop being so scared to upgrade their systems. I've seen too many systems become unstable and infected with malware due to a lack of security updates. Get 10, keep it updated, you'll be fine. I took forever to finally upgrade to 10 but, I do not regret it.

On 4/6/2018 at 12:24 PM, agekindly said:

I really want to update to the newest generation of intel processors, but then I see the motherboard software drivers only allow for windows 10 :,/

I've heard that some really newer motherboards just won't work with W7 at all, as you mentioned about the motherboard driver issues, but most do work, especially laptops.

You can still run W7 on most 6th gen and 7th gen Intel CPUs, with a few workaround and a small "tweak hack" to allow a workaround for windows updates 'till 2020.

This vid explains how to do that (took me a while to find this, put it in the wrong private playlist lol): 

Spoiler

Actually managed to install Windows 7 Pro on an i7 6th gen MSi laptop after lots of pain. Drivers worked well (was later re-upgraded to w10pro).

Have no idea about 8th gen so yea lol

personally, I've never had major issues with W7, not as much suffering that I've had with W10, it's weird way of updating drivers randomly, windows store taking up disk usage (attempting to kill the ssd), and settings and stuff. Windows 7 just works once you get everything up and running. If it aint broken it aint broken (well... unless if a program/app/feature is only available in windows 10 like DX12 support). Either way dual-booting, or having a separate SSD with windows 7 could be a better option than Hyper-V or VMware if you need legacy support that won't work in windows 10 at all.

I'll forever cherish windows 7 tho 

Edited by Vila
formating

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...