What is your preferred method of streaming/watching your content?

noob447

Just now, eljayflintok said:

LibreElec if I want to stay with a linux based system. I'd need to switch over to a windows based Kodi install for all the bells and whistles decoding-wise, no? 

In theory you could probably build it yourself if you wanted to run it on Linux, but it's probably more effort than it's worth =P

that said, I dunno if your CPU is necessarily strong enough to run the full load here. I'd be interested to hear your results. Might have to turn down some of madVR's features though.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Catar said:

In theory you could probably build it yourself if you wanted to run it on Linux, but it's probably more effort than it's worth =P

that said, I dunno if your CPU is necessarily strong enough to run the full load here. I'd be interested to hear your results. Might have to turn down some of madVR's features though.

Thinking about it, I'll probably try both, LibreELEC and the Kodi DSPlayer. I already have Win 10 installed on the second drive of the barebone PC. If I manage I'll post some results. Not here in this thread, though. ^_^

3 hours ago, eljayflintok said:

Thinking about it, I'll probably try both, LibreELEC and the Kodi DSPlayer. I already have Win 10 installed on the second drive of the barebone PC. If I manage I'll post some results. Not here in this thread, though. ^_^

Lol, hijacking is ok by me!

I'm jealous of all this custom Kodi build talk! I know practically nothing about it. I've never done any diving into software-related stuff. I've always found the fun in building and tweaking hardware, networking, etc.

If it weren't for my family being so used to Plex, I'd love to introduce Kodi and some crazy add-ons

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, noob447 said:

I'm jealous of all this custom Kodi build talk! I know practically nothing about it. I've never done any diving into software-related stuff. I've always found the fun in building and tweaking hardware, networking, etc.

If it weren't for my family being so used to Plex, I'd love to introduce Kodi and some crazy add-ons

Fun fact, Plex was originally a modification of Kodi (then XBMC). The official Plex home theatre app was just a reskinned Kodi until recently. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Catar said:

Fun fact, Plex was originally a modification of Kodi (then XBMC). The official Plex home theatre app was just a reskinned Kodi until recently. 

I actually read that recently. I wasn't even aware of media servers and things of that nature until a handful of years ago so I missed the "good ol' days"

8 hours ago, noob447 said:

Hijacking? Who? Me?! Neoooo, never! :P

I don't and never have used Plex. Should I? It never appealed to me for some reason. I think it was mainly because of its limitations in the decoding department. Doesn't it decode on the server level and not on the device the movie actually plays on? 

That custom Kodi build is nothing complicated other than getting the executable, double-clicking it, watching it install and starting it. ^_^ Playing video with my Zotac System and Kodi DSPlayer works rather nicely, @Catar, even though it is just an i3. So far, I used default madVR setting only, however. The one frame dropping devil in my testing so far was Catar's remux Ghost in the Shell SOC. 

And now I stop because hijacking is a problem.... :/;)

Edited by eljayflintok
  • Like 1

On 5/31/2017 at 0:14 AM, noob447 said:

That sounds great! Did you build or buy a premade? I am still debating whether I care enough to build one in a small case made for htpc's or if I want to just make it a regular tower for more drive space. I do want to build an NAS as well since my kids are getting older and thus using more technology so I will need more room for more data to serve up throughout the house and I'd like to have some redundancy.

I've built all my PC's plus a few others for family. I originally built the PC to be an encoding box back in 2006-07. The full ATX case, and the Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 (2.4GHz), are the only things left from the original build. Now it's just a big a$$ Kodi box with 2x 4tb, 1x 1tb (soon to be replaced with a 6tb) and a 1x 500gb drives. And an old Microsoft HP RC1534046/00B PC Remote, which can be found for less than $20 usd. My ideal setup would be with a NAS to serve up all the media, and Intel NUC's with Kodi on every TV in the house.

Edited by allan1973
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, eljayflintok said:

I don't and never have used Plex. Should I? It never appealed to me for some reason. I think it was mainly because of its limitations in the decoding department. Doesn't it decode on the server level and not on the device the movie actually plays on?

Plex is pretty much just the best "set it and forget it" option as far as media servers go. It's very easy and basic.

It depends on the company's developers rather than a community of open source contributors, which I find hinders more curious, experimental users.

What I do like about it is aesthetics, especially on the mobile app. That and the fact that the app is available on damn near anything that can install apps.

On 5/31/2017 at 8:58 PM, Catar said:

Dell P2715Q 4K IPS screen (only 27" but since I sit super close up it's still proportionally larger than most people's TVs), with an Energy Take Classic 5.1 speaker set (absolutely phenomenal set of speakers) + Denon AVR-S510BT (cheap but more than sufficient for my setup), both hooked up to an Intel i5 NUC running a customized Kodi build with MadVR that also hooks into my lights and fans for automatic enable/disable. I've tested a ton of USB-based remotes for this system too, and my preferred one is an Aerb AirMouse mini wireless keyboard/remote. Works perfectly once you customize the buttons a bit (using a combination of Kodi's key remapper + AutoHotkey), and far superior to bluetooth solutions since there's no wakeup/shutdown time, and superior battery life.

good stuff.

I am just curious, what exact i5 NUC model are you using? 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, eljayflintok said:

I am just curious, what exact i5 NUC model are you using? 

Intel NUC5i5RYH. Unfortunate because it's the last revision they did before upgrading to HDMI 2.0, so I can only get good 4K out of the mini-Displayport. Still, very nice little box.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, eljayflintok said:

With leg rests? xD:P I always feel like upgrading my sitting means, but falter at the find that a good office/gaming chair costs way too much for me to tolerate. 

I've got a really nice office chair as well, and because of how my desk is situated, I have a perfect height shelf for resting my legs, which also happens to be where my main tower's heat output gets vented. Gaming in the winter is quite nice, all that heat keeps my feet toasty <3

during the summer it sucks.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Catar said:

I've got a really nice office chair as well, and because of how my desk is situated, I have a perfect height shelf for resting my legs, which also happens to be where my main tower's heat output gets vented. Gaming in the winter is quite nice, all that heat keeps my feet toasty <3

during the summer it sucks.

Care to share your chair model? xD @Vaux Yours as well, please. Only if it is something worth mentioning, of course. Mine isn't...:$

1 hour ago, Catar said:

Intel NUC5i5RYH. Unfortunate because it's the last revision they did before upgrading to HDMI 2.0, so I can only get good 4K out of the mini-Displayport. Still, very nice little box.

I am looking at this baby at the moment. Sometime soon I feel the need to upgrade my playback device. 

Edited by eljayflintok
oddly enough the '@' sometimes just doesn't pop out the user list...?!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...