Keep or upgrade a working Windows XP

tbbttbbt

nope. There are plenty of exploits around that can actively target machines and spread without any user input. See the recent WannaCry worm that spread via an SMB exploit. Granted, this one was actually patched by Microsoft (and thus was avoidable), but Microsoft patched XP well out of their stated end of support date, so it's not guaranteed (or even likely) that they'll patch similar exploits.

If you are still using a Windows XP machine, you are asking for trouble. Your box could be owned at any time if it is connected to any networks.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/10/2017 at 4:30 PM, ElementalCards said:

Upgrade to w10. Granted, it's no better than W7 but do it for safety reasons.

eh, no need to do this yet if you're happier with Windows 7. End of life support isn't until 2020, Microsoft is still actively supporting it.

Windows 8/8.1 until 2023 as well. No need to go to 10 and have to deal with their crappy OS-level spyware and other nuisances (all easily disabled if you know what you're doing, of course, but still. come on.)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Catar said:

eh, no need to do this yet if you're happier with Windows 7. End of life support isn't until 2020, Microsoft is still actively supporting it.

Windows 8/8.1 until 2023 as well. No need to go to 10 and have to deal with their crappy OS-level spyware and other nuisances (all easily disabled if you know what you're doing, of course, but still. come on.)

Windows 10 is cheaper than 7 right now. You'll have to upgrade eventually so, you're just spending more money if you wait until 2020.

3 minutes ago, Tanis said:

I'd say go with Win8.1

Win10 is a clusterfuck and, at least from personal experience, Win8.1 runs better than Win10.

Say what? Windows 8/8.1 is the clusterfuck. I think you're confused. They had to make an massive update (8.1) to Windows 8 to fix a lot is problems. The OS was screwed the day it released. Never upgrade/downgrade to Windows 8/8.1.

9 hours ago, Etzimal said:

LEFT-ALIGNED.

I didn't even notice that... because I have it in detail view ;). There has to be a registry hack for that for sure...

Also for OP (and anyone else). Windows 10 is recommended (security, DirectX 12, better than Windows 8.1, long term support). As long as you stay away from the beta / insider releases, the public releases are a lot more stable then the initial release of it. 

I dealt with a lot of the Windows 10 bugs when it was first released and everyone jumped on it. Now it just seems to be the very rare Start menu bug (start menu crashes) or video driver updates that cause issues. Everything else seems good. This is me speaking from personal experiences with my own devices (one on beta releases, the other on public updates) as well as from an IT support perspective. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Moodkiller said:

I didn't even notice that... because I have it in detail view ;). There has to be a registry hack for that for sure...

Also for OP (and anyone else). Windows 10 is recommended (security, DirectX 12, better than Windows 8.1, long term support). As long as you stay away from the beta / insider releases, the public releases are a lot more stable then the initial release of it. 

I dealt with a lot of the Windows 10 bugs when it was first released and everyone jumped on it. Now it just seems to be the very rare Start menu bug (start menu crashes) or video driver updates that cause issues. Everything else seems good. This is me speaking from personal experiences with my own devices (one on beta releases, the other on public updates) as well as from an IT support perspective. 

File names are properly aligned in my system though

2 hours ago, Tanis said:

Have they fixed the 'spying on you' feature of Win10?

I tried. Didn't work.

Shut down my computer, pulled out the cord and other cords, opened my window and threw it out, laughing maniacally while saying "Who's watching who now huh punk!". I saw it land on the ground shattering into pieces.

But then...

I turned around...

And there my computer was again, plugged in, all cords back in place, screen on, with Word open with the text: "I AM BITCH!".

From then on I knew, it was useless, there was no going back... When I installed Windows 10, I sold my soul to the devil when accepting all those user agreements. They try and lie to you by giving you all those options but it's all fake.

I went to the local priest, he says he uses Windows 10 in the church...

THEY EVEN HAVE TAKEN OVER CHURCH!!!!

Nowhere is safe! NOWHERE!

But I am going to try one last thing. Hihi, he will never see it commmmmmmggmmggmgmggmgmgmgmgmgm

#########module1 complete

THREAT TERMINATED...

4 minutes ago, Tanis said:

But, seriously, I do preper Win8.1
After the, well...usually...uninstalling of useless/bloatware shit, it's run damn good for years.

You must be one of the few.

Personally I found it (and other clients') slow, buggy, rushed release, not suited for desktop, direct x 11 only and no native start menu with a boring flat UI. My general rule of thumb has been that if you are on Windows 7, you will probably prefer it more to Windows 10. And if you are on Windows 8/8.1, then you should be on Windows 10.

• 2 weeks later...