Currently Airing vs Finished Airing

Cryptic

Currently Airing vs Finished Airing  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer?

• Currently Airing
    • Finished Airing

Which do you prefer?

I personally don't like watching currently airing anime since I like to keep up with one story (sometimes two) at the pace I want. This way there's no waiting around, and it's simpler/easier to keep track of everything.

Not only that, but there's more than plenty finished airing anime to watch AND I like to watch bluray versions for better quality.

When I was younger I preferred to watch finished anime and just blow them them in a couple days. Now that I'm a bit older and a parent, I find that I have less time to just sit and watch stuff, so watching weekly works better for me. As such I rarely manage to get to watch any of my backlog of completed shows as I tend to have a hard enough time keeping up with just the weekly shows. Right now I'm up to 5 weeks behind on some of my weeklies. :/

But I also find more people seem to be up to discussing weekly airing shows than completed shows as everyone is for the most part on the same page or in this case, episode, and don't have to be in fear of spoilers as much and can all discuss about the same event.

• Like 1

I am fine with both. I watch stuff that is coming out weekly as well as trying to finish a backlog of older stuff. Lately, I just watch all of the new simuldubs by Funimation (which is about an hour to an hour and a half a day, excluding Friday and Saturday), as well as 1-2 hours on a backlog completely released show, as well as Toonami every Saturday night\Sunday morning from 11:30PM to 3:30AM EST.

• 2 weeks later...

Finished airing's the way to go so you can watch at your own pace. Waiting each week for Mob Psycho 100 was torture lmaoo. One Punch Man too. I restrained myself from watching the new season of Samurai Jack until the whole season came out and I'm glad I did now I can watch them all at once/Plus the only real life friend I have that kept up with anime/got me into it barely watches tv at all anymore so I have nobody to discuss ongoing shows with I'm always trying to push all my dub only friends who don't watch that much anime to watch shit all the time I convinced this one kid to watch Mob Psycho 100 so I'm making some progress

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 6/30/2017 at 1:20 AM, pinkmattered said:

Who has the patience to wait a week for anything?

Well I do. In fact, I think life would be quite troublesome if you can't even wait a single week for things.

Regardless, I only watch finished anime, a few years after it aired at the earliest. That way, I can be somewhat sure to get the best version of it that is out there. I really can't understand how people are putting up with unpolished, and sometimes censored TV versions when there are so many great disk releases out there...

On 9/26/2017 at 5:34 PM, blubbso said:

Well I do. In fact, I think life would be quite troublesome if you can't even wait a single week for things.

Regardless, I only watch finished anime, a few years after it aired at the earliest. That way, I can be somewhat sure to get the best version of it that is out there. I really can't understand how people are putting up with unpolished, and sometimes censored TV versions when there are so many great disk releases out there...

so, you have the patience to watch things live but don't actually watch anything live? okay...

On 10/2/2017 at 11:49 PM, pinkmattered said:

so, you have the patience to watch things live but don't actually watch anything live? okay...

Yep. Me not watching things live entirely unrelated to me finding the shrinking patience and attention span concerning. That wait of at last a few years is simply a quality thing.

However, I do spread out the shows I watch over a handful of weeks anyway because that gives me some time to connect with the material. So watching weekly is actually a pretty good rhythm, I just wouldn't do it with shows that haven't even seen a disk release yet.

• 11 months later...

Finished airing.

I like to take things up a notch: Finished airing, and not just the current season, but the whole series.

I usually wait for the series to finish/enough time to pass to be sure that there won't be a next season.

However, this is not always the case, as I have sometimes not been able to keep the urge in check and ended up starting a series even when I was sure about the second season.

Also, lately, seeing how busy I have been, and having already watched most of the good short completely completed series, I have started watching more unfinished-series-but-completed-seasons.