Koby

What is your preferred method of downloading?

Preferred Download Method  

399 members have voted

1. 1. What is your preferred method of downloading?

Although I voted Filehost + XDCC..it actually depends a lot on

Filehost - if no/little/bypass-able limits, reliable, etc...like MEGA, drive, amazon, etc...not so much for lie, UC, TF, RS, KS etc..

XDCC - only some XDCC...though more than often, I am not able to use my max download speed with them..

Torrent were great, and still are, probably the best, just 2 issues:

Seed count/Dead torrent - not much of a issue for torrent here, or on BakaBT(*sob*)

I stopped using them coz it becomes difficult to move/manage/rename files - but I am still okay with them..but they come after good file hosts..

• Like 1

Torrents (magnet links) first. Two clicks — one to open the link, one for confirmation — and I'm done.

Never had any ISP problems with torrents.

XDCC if there are no well-seeded torrents available. They're more reliable though.

Filehosts are always a last resort for me.

I'd even pick a low-seed torrent over them, unless I'm feeling impatient (a very rare occurrence).

I actually prefer to download from filehosts just for the speed. I tend to max out for some reason with torrents and the hosts are always quicker. Xdcc is pretty slow even though I've opened ports and such.

• Like 1

Used to be torrents...but now I don't know.

Nyaa was the last free tracker I regularly bookmarked/followed for anime.
BakaBT is STILL down...so, yeah.

Torrents for sure. Decentralized downloads generally means faster speeds, but more importantly better data retention due to there always being at least one person who's also into what you're into. As long as you're smart about it any of the 3 options work, the content just has to be there.

On 5/6/2017 at 2:26 AM, Koby said:

You can even batch download an entire series by pasting a single link in the channel and having auto-accept turned on. So it's the same as you said with file hosts. You can set it and forget it.

Elaborate batch download. I'm using mirc.

On 5/6/2017 at 10:20 AM, Koby said:

That's the thing. No one should be torrenting from home to start with. Everyone I know uses seedboxes.

Money's too tight for me for a seedbox which is why I tend to avoid torrenting but I've never ever gotten a letter for something I grabbed off nyaa RIP, I try to get most of my live action off reddit megalinks so thank god high bitrate stuff on megalinks has become more common recently

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DabDeity710 said:

Money's too tight for me for a seedbox which is why I tend to avoid torrenting but I've never ever gotten a letter for something I grabbed off nyaa RIP, I try to get most of my live action off reddit megalinks so thank god high bitrate stuff on megalinks has become more common recently

I love that I found out about Megalinks a few weeks ago. It's nice not having to connect to the vpn and hunt for a torrent.

3 hours ago, dragonamar said:

Elaborate batch download. I'm using mirc.

BATCH

-- /msg [botname] XDCC BATCH [a]- -- Request packs with numbers a to b, including a and b, from the bot.

-- /msg [botname] XDCC BATCH [a],,[c] -- Request packs with numbers [a], and [c] from the bot.

-- /msg [botname] XDCC BATCH [a]- [password] -- Request passworded packs with numbers a to b, including a and b, with password "password" from the bot.

-- /msg [botname] XDCC BATCH [a],,[c] [password] -- Request packs with numbers [a], and [c], with password "password" from the bot.

-- /msg [botname] XDCC BATCH [a],,[c]-[d] -- Request packs with numbers a, b and c to d from the bot. (i.e, you can combine the two methods of saying which set of packs you want)

Straight from: http://wiki.xertion.org/w/XDCC_Commands

In mirc you go to Tools - Options - DCC - Auto-get file  

Note that you should only really turn it on when doing Batch downloads

Edited by Vaux
  • Like 1

On 5/6/2017 at 2:26 AM, Koby said:

What is there to learn with XDCC? It's a simple copy & paste.

It's no different than file hosts where you copy a link and paste it into a download client.

It's not harder and it has no learning curve. People just don't want to bother trying something new and thus try to make it seem harder than it is so they have a reason to not bother.

The only slightly complicated aspect was adding the Network/Server to the list on your IRC client, but that isn't an issue since mIRC and HexChat both finally approved Xertion for the default Network lists.

You can even batch download an entire series by pasting a single link in the channel and having auto-accept turned on. So it's the same as you said with file hosts. You can set it and forget it.

Also you have the advantage of not having to worry about file hosts deleting the files from their servers, no bandwidth caps, no captcha input requirements, and no wait times.

How to batch download ?

Nevermind found it lol

Edited by Nabull

37 minutes ago, deanzel said:

> No mention of usenet anywhere.

Epic f'n fail as usual. I'd expect nothing less...

surprised it took you this long to show up >.>

15 minutes ago, Catar said:

surprised it took you this long to show up >.>

I actually commented/lamented about it in the IRC yesterday. I didn't realize that there was a thread about it as well :P

2 minutes ago, Cryptic said:

I've never heard anything good about usenet, anyone care to enlighten me?

IDK how to use it... All I know is you gotta pay for it and it's apparently managed to get a lot of heat from copyright holders recently according to TorrentFreak at least.

• Like 1

I prefer XDCC because of takedowns though I first check for mega/amazon drive/mediafire/zippyshare.

I avoid torrents because most of the time once peers hit 100% they disconnect.

34 minutes ago, Cryptic said:

I've never heard anything good about usenet, anyone care to enlighten me?

Some releases found nowhere else (though not sure about private trackers) like some amazon rips

Edited by jazzie

I use torrents because I like sharing, and I think P2P is pretty cool from a technical standpoint. Furthermore, it feels rewarding to torrent more, whereas to leech off DDL feels not that rewarding except for, like, getting the content. I use XDCC if I want to cross-seed/upload a release to trackers