Welcome to Kametsu

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Koby

What is your preferred method of downloading?

Preferred Download Method   297 members have voted

1. 1. What is your preferred method of downloading?

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

101 posts in this topic

For various reasons, I'm frankly curious what percentage of our community members prefers which type of download method.

Torrents all day. But you already knew my answer. Also I'm biased since I have access to better resources like AB/U2/etc.

Posted (edited)

For me, filehosts and XDCC are best, since Torrents can get you in trouble if caught uploading through them. There is also the potential that torrents will become unseeded after awhile and harder to obtain through torrents because of it.

Edited by ragnawind
1 person likes this

I like torrents better, though am currently using file hosts as main source. XDCC is alright, but it wouldn't be my first choice.

I prefer file hosts but I'd probably like torrents just as much if I had access to all the major private trackers. XDCC's good too.

I like torrents since its practically set it and forget it.But the downside is that the anti-copying police bug my cable company which risks my internet being shut down. So I try to avoid them unless there is no other way.

File hosts are probably my favorite since I can just copy the file host links to jdownloader and it's almost like the set and forget like a torrent if the file host doesn't require catchall for free users.

XDCC I used it to get anime from ED, but it seems to have a steep learning curve. So I rarely use it. It isn't as easy as clicking on a torrent link or a file sharing host. But I guess practice makes perfect.

12 minutes ago, ezikialrage said:

I like torrents since its practically set it and forget it.But the downside is that the anti-copying police bug my cable company which risks my internet being shut down. So I try to avoid them unless there is no other way.

File hosts are probably my favorite since I can just copy the file host links to jdownloader and it's almost like the set and forget like a torrent if the file host doesn't require catchall for free users.

XDCC I used it to get anime from ED, but it seems to have a steep learning curve. So I rarely use it. It isn't as easy as clicking on a torrent link or a file sharing host. But I guess practice makes perfect.

What is there to learn with XDCC? It's a simple copy & paste.

It's no different than file hosts where you copy a link and paste it into a download client.

It's not harder and it has no learning curve. People just don't want to bother trying something new and thus try to make it seem harder than it is so they have a reason to not bother.

The only slightly complicated aspect was adding the Network/Server to the list on your IRC client, but that isn't an issue since mIRC and HexChat both finally approved Xertion for the default Network lists.

You can even batch download an entire series by pasting a single link in the channel and having auto-accept turned on. So it's the same as you said with file hosts. You can set it and forget it.

Also you have the advantage of not having to worry about file hosts deleting the files from their servers, no bandwidth caps, no captcha input requirements, and no wait times.

3 people like this

XDCC and torrents are fine with me. But I haven't heard about downloading through file host. So if it is a reliable source of downloading, I'm gonna give it a try.

14 minutes ago, Pa1 said:

XDCC and torrents are fine with me. But I haven't heard about downloading through file host. So if it is a reliable source of downloading, I'm gonna give it a try.

So you've never downloaded from MEGA, solidfiles, filefactory, AmazonDrive, OneDrive, GoogleDrive, Userscloud, 1Fichier, HugeFiles, UploadedTo, Turbobit, MediaFire, 4Share, etc or many of the now dead and gone filehosts like Rapidshare, Fileserve, and Megaupload ever in your life?

3 people like this

Posted (edited)

I have never used them. XDCC is more convenient for me than any other method after what happened to nyaa and I don't have an account on AB. It's not that I haven't used MEGA, Solidfiles, Hugefiles, but they don't have that much content(I guess) compared to torrents and XDCC, I thought that they were used for downloading mini-encodes.

Edited by Pa1

18 minutes ago, Pa1 said:

I have never used them. XDCC is more convenient for me than any other method after what happened to nyaa and I don't have an account on AB. It's not that I haven't used MEGA, Solidfiles, Hugefiles, but they don't have that much content(I guess) compared to torrents and XDCC, I thought that they were used for downloading mini-encodes.

They have been used as the majority content hosts up until megaupload shut down years ago. They were even more common than torrents back then. It was after that closure that most things started shifting to torrents, from XDCC and file hosts, which makes the new norm being XDCC and torrents. Now that one of the leaders in torrents has shutdown, though, it will probably shift to XDCC for awhile, until a replacement comes up that is just as good, if not better.

1 person likes this

1 minute ago, ragnawind said:

They have been used as the majority content hosts up until megaupload shut down years ago. They were even more common than torrents back then. It was after that closure that most things started shifting to torrents, from XDCC and file hosts, which makes the new norm being XDCC and torrents. Now that one of the leaders in torrents has shutdown, though, it will probably shift to XDCC for awhile, until a replacement comes up that is just as good, if not better.

Is there a way to get in AB? Bakabt is good too but they have got blacklist and they never accept blacklisted content. So right now for torrents I've animetorrents, BBT(currently down for maintenance) and anidex. Apart from BBT these torrent sites don't have enough seeders.

With me it's filehosts like MediaFire, FileFActory, Uploaded, Rapidgator, OneDrive and DropBox. In second would be XDCC. Last is Torrents. 

Why are torrents last? The ISP's in my area are tracking Torrent usage. Already been warned 2 times :)

3 minutes ago, Beave said:

With me it's filehosts like MediaFire, FileFActory, Uploaded, Rapidgator, OneDrive and DropBox. In second would be XDCC. Last is Torrents. 

Why are torrents last? The ISP's in my area are tracking Torrent usage. Already been warned 2 times :)

That's the thing. No one should be torrenting from home to start with. Everyone I know uses seedboxes.

2 people like this

Just now, Koby said:

That's the thing. No one should be torrenting from home to start with. Everyone I know uses seedboxes.

I do it at work :) Then transfer it to my home over the internet using Remote Access. But, I am looking into using a seedbox, just the funds are not available at this moment.

I prefer file hosts for the most part. XDCC is great as well, but I'd go for file hosts first (of course it depends on speed. if xdcc is faster then I'll probably go with it).

I only like torrenting if I have a seedbox x)

I prefer both file hosts and torrents/magnet links ...irc  XXDC ..well ...my dyslexic nature gets to be a really big problem ...and because of that I wouldn't want to type something and kill the channel(s) by accident ... *blush*

Any of the above, their all automated with the right setup

I've had high preference to XDCC because it's the easiest to use for me - that, and is much less likely to face takedowns. This is a luxury you don't have with torrent hosts or filehosts because both must directly answer to legal takedown requests (just look at BakaBT for example and what they were forced to do). Torrents sadly are becoming an increasingly popular target for so-called copyright trolls - the days of open anime trackers are numbered, I'm telling you now.

File host is the method I use as of right now.  Ive used XDCC one time to download. Im not quite sure how the uploading part of it works so I have not really tried to find that answer as of yet. I don't bother with torrents