Topken

Anime Torrent Site NYAA Goes Down After Domain Name Deactivation

There is still no actual word from Nyaa himself. Even the rest of the Nyaa staff I've spoken to have no idea what is up.

They've even updated their IRC channel topic to say: There is no news. Topic will be updated when there is. In case it wasn't obvious to those lurking for updates: Don't PM us. We have no information.

So for now, everything you read on the internet is speculation & rumors.

The only thing we know for sure is all four nyaa domains (nyaa.se, nyaa.eu, nyaatorrents.org, and nyaatorrents.info) are set in a state that seems that a coordinated domain registrar takedown happened, or that a malicious user gained Nyaa's account and was able to set them as such. It could be either of those. But it seems to go one step further than that, as even the sites hosted on Nyaa's servers such as: Underwater, Thora, and Commie are offline as well, signifying that their servers may have been disabled or seized as well.

Unfortunately no one has seen or heard from Nyaa since a few hours prior to the site going offline. So we don't even know at this time if Nyaa was arrested, hiding scared, or if this was all done by his own choice. After all he supposedly just lost his advertising with j-list which was his source of income for Nyaa a few days ago, so it's also a possible that he simply threw in the towel and went out silently.

Until we get official word on the matter, take pretty much everything you read on the internet as pure speculation or rumor.

Anyways, HorribleSubs has resorted to just using magnet links on their site. While a few groups are simply going to utilize XDCC for the time being. And other groups are flocking to AniDex, AniRena, TokyoTosho, or Minglong. Though looks like AniDex is failing to handle the load and their site keeps going up and down and lagging terribly.

For now it'd probably be best to just check on your favorite groups directly through their site to see if they're still releasing stuff and if so, where.

Public Anime Tracker Alternatives:

https://anidex.moe / https://anidex.info

https://www.anirena.com

http://bt.edwardk.info/trac/wiki/List_of_Groups

http://tracker.minglong.org:8080/

https://www.tokyotosho.info/

Group Websites:

Asenshi Subs [Asenshi]

DameDesuYo! [DDY]

Chihiro Fansubs [Chihiro]

Doki [Doki]

FFFansubs [FFF]

GoodJob!Media [GJM]

Harunatsu [Harunatsu]

HorribleSubs [HorribleSubs]

ID-anon [ID-anon]

Kaitou Fansubs [Kaitou]

Kametsu Projects [Kametsu]

Kantai Subs [Kantai]

Lost Years [LostYears]

Himawari [Himawari]

SallySubs [SallySubs]

Tsundere Rips [Tsundere]

Nyaa Backup Archives:

https://animetosho.org/test/

https://nyaarchive.moe/

https://nyaa.pantsu.cat

• Like 19

Thora 

what the Hell do they do these days ?

its a Shame those other trackers arnt as up to date as nyaa was

anirena seems Nice enough

29 minutes ago, Koby said:

Anyways, HorribleSubs has resorted to just using magnet links on their site. While a few groups are simply going to utilize XDCC for the time being. And other groups are flocking to AniDex, AniRena, TokyoTosho, or Minglong. Though looks like AniDex is failing to handle the load and their site keeps going up and down and lagging terribly.

Anidex is super broken even when it is up too ;-;

Also, another one to add to your list: Asenshi http://asenshi.moe/ - currently using magnet links for torrents.

• Like 2

I want to make sure people here understand something about this - everything you pull from the web about this at this stage is SPECULATION - it is UNPROVEN information and is therefore not to be trusted. Don't be so gullible to what you read on the net, ESPECIALLY from sites like TorrentFreak.

The only true, factual information can only come from the owner himself, and Koby and I are both monitoring the situation closely through our own means. Everything else is to be considered hearsay/speculation and only taken with a grain of salt...maybe a part of a grain even.

With all that said, I ask people to please, PLEASE, don't spread misinformation here about this. Koby will update here as he gets info, as he is the closest to the situation at this point.

• Like 8

I'm sure some people will find this useful (from animetosho):

"If anyone's interested, I do happen to have a test script with scraped data of most of Nyaa's database for the past ~3 months. As it was for testing purposes, I make no guarantees about accuracy, data, etc. This includes all Nyaa's categories (except for JAV categories).
I've made it available here (warning, link contains hentai/NSFW content)."

• Like 2

6 hours ago, mikezilla2 said:

Thora 

what the Hell do they do these days ?

Ha! Nothing at all that I'm aware of. Last post on the site said that their main encoder had been MIA for almost a year.

I'll always have a special place in my heart for them though. I randomly came across the site ages ago and it offered me my first HD anime experience. I still have a handful of their encodes archived as I still haven't found better copies, one of which is Freedom. Funny, that was the first thing I ever downloaded from them too. ^_^ 

Too bad Nyaa went down. There was actually one encoder on there I was keeping an eye on, now I gotta keep an eye out to see where they show up at.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ThePJzer said:

Too bad Nyaa went down. There was actually one encoder on there I was keeping an eye on, now I gotta keep an eye out to see where they show up at.

Who? Might be able to point you in the right direction.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Koby said:

Though looks like AniDex is failing to handle the load and their site keeps going up and down and lagging terribly.

They state they have now upgraded a more powerful server, so downtime/lag should be minimal. Have noticed a difference.

Just now, Moodkiller said:

They state they have now upgraded a more powerful server, so downtime/lag should be minimal. Have noticed a difference.

yeah, it's way better. That said, still lacking in important features. Editing is still broken, comments are broken, the forums appear to be gone (I assume this is coming back on the new server or on a separate machine preferably soon), torrent ownership seems wonky, there's a severe lack of description formatting support, etc.

Even some of the neat features like groups need work, their request group system is still just a placeholder with no functionality. 

Once editing is fixed I'll consider dumping the rest of my seedbox releases on there.

6 minutes ago, Catar said:

Who? Might be able to point you in the right direction.

Sephirotic

As far as I can tell all he did was work on his color corrected Neon Genesis Evangelion encode. It seemed like he provided updates to what he was working on by just updating the Nyaa page for his release. Most recent happenings were apparently a 720p HEVC color corrected Evangelion encode that was in the making. He has an old blog that hasn't been updated in quite some time discussing his approach to his color corrections, so I'm not hopeful that updates will start showing up there.

https://sephirotic.wordpress.com/category/sephirotic/

His latest 1080p has been done for a while now and I have it. It's actually pretty impressive in my humble opinion. It only includes AAC Japanese audio so I had actually started a remux using Sephirotic's video and subtitles (based on 2D4U's with corrections/edits and has karaoke for the opening) and creating a Sign/Song track out of them. Then I was going to use 2D4U's Jap FLAC and already Synced AC3 Eng audio. His release also has the End of Evangelion which was missing from 2D4U's release, unless I missed it somehow.

That got stalled though, but I really need to finish it up for myself and a couple buddy's at work that were interested in it. Of course I'd share it here to ^_^

34 minutes ago, ThePJzer said:

Sephirotic

As far as I can tell all he did was work on his color corrected Neon Genesis Evangelion encode. It seemed like he provided updates to what he was working on by just updating the Nyaa page for his release. Most recent happenings were apparently a 720p HEVC color corrected Evangelion encode that was in the making. He has an old blog that hasn't been updated in quite some time discussing his approach to his color corrections, so I'm not hopeful that updates will start showing up there.

https://sephirotic.wordpress.com/category/sephirotic/

His latest 1080p has been done for a while now and I have it. It's actually pretty impressive in my humble opinion. It only includes AAC Japanese audio so I had actually started a remux using Sephirotic's video and subtitles (based on 2D4U's with corrections/edits and has karaoke for the opening) and creating a Sign/Song track out of them. Then I was going to use 2D4U's Jap FLAC and already Synced AC3 Eng audio. His release also has the End of Evangelion which was missing from 2D4U's release, unless I missed it somehow.

That got stalled though, but I really need to finish it up for myself and a couple buddy's at work that were interested in it. Of course I'd share it here to ^_^

I kept 2D4U's release personally, because while Sephirotic did put in more work toward the color corrections, a lot of his encoding ruined it and in comparisons looked kind of bad at times + he clearly OVER color corrected at times and made it so overly brightly contrasted that it hurts your eyes... and the guy is some dumbass who goes around spouting nonsense. He got pissed off when CaptainJet opted to release EoE with the English audio muxed into the file, and he often spammed Kametsu releases talking shit about the group decision to use FLAC. Anyways, while he apparently does know what he's doing with avisynth, he clearly doesn't know what he's doing in terms of x264 encode settings. He opted to go 8-bit just because it was an older anime with natural grain. \o/ Besides 2D4U was already muxed, and not some incomplete package with the dub in a separate mega folder without any sign subtitle tracks. I cba to finish sephirotics job for him, so yeah... easy choice for me was to stick with 2D4U. ;)

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Koby said:

I kept 2D4U's release personally, because while Sephirotic did put in more work toward the color corrections, a lot of his encoding ruined it and in comparisons looked kind of bad at times + he clearly OVER color corrected at times and made it so overly brightly contrasted that it hurts your eyes... 

I've only done comparisons of the first 12 episodes and I really went back and forth on which I thought looked the best. 2D4U's tended to always be the best in the darker areas of the backgrounds retaining a little bit more detail and having less artifacting usually, most likely due to using 10-bit and providing enough bitrate.  

But there were some scenes, like the rainy scene near the end of Ep 3 A Transfer, were the rain appeared to be affected quit badly by the filter choices (I'm assuming) in 2D4U's encode. The rain streaks were very soft and smudged to the point where some were almost completely eliminated. 

I'm not trying to argue with you though. Just felt like the whole time I was comparing I had to choose which encode was the lesser of two evils. At the moment I have been leaning towards liking Sephirotic's slightly more than 2D4U's. I have no doubt that your comparisons were far more extensive than mine so I'll submit myself to your expertise regarding these matters. ^_^

32 minutes ago, Koby said:

and the guy is some dumbass who goes around spouting nonsense. He got pissed off when CaptainJet opted to release EoE with the English audio muxed into the file, and he often spammed Kametsu releases talking shit about the group decision to use FLAC. 

Yea, I had seen some comments on Nyaa regarding him going off the deep end over one thing or another. I believe he stated he used qaac tvbr q91 for the audio, which was kinda surprising given all the effort he was putting into the video. 

38 minutes ago, Koby said:

while he apparently does know what he's doing with avisynth, he clearly doesn't know what he's doing in terms of x264 encode settings. He opted to go 8-bit just because it was an older anime with natural grain. \o/

I wish he had gone 10-bit with his encode. I believe I saw him comment that the other reason he chose 8-bit was for hardware compatibility, which is not something I personally need.

• Like 1

So it's official guys.

Nyaa emailed his staff members and told them what was up. It's confirmed to be gone for good.

He did indeed opt to shut it all down himself after recent EU rulings as he felt it was too risky given his location.

HorribleSubs on the other hand claim they know someone who is working on a new alternative to Nyaa.

While AniDex just moved to a new server to handle the influx of traffic and are working on fixing features of their site and tackling bugs.

As for us? Well, like several groups, I'll be using minglong and submitting them to TT and possibly AniDex if they get their shit in order.

Though I wouldn't mind possibly setting up something extra for the Kametsu userbase, so we'll see what the future has in store.

• Like 10

31 minutes ago, thegameking said:

@rickyhorror hopefully you move to anidex or tokyosama

nope, not moving to a new pubic tracker. i'm on private trackers only til nyaa is back (if/when)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, rickyhorror said:

nope, not moving to a new pubic tracker. i'm on private trackers only til nyaa is back (if/when)

didn't you Read what Koby wrote :P

in all seriousness tho  the implication is there that someone could pick up were things left off with the old data bases under the Same Roof ?

will be interesting to see what comes of  HSs story

i agree with what Koby said but  Picking 2 or 3 top sites would be a good idea and then Mirroring the Rest  across other sites  as long as enough groups do it then alternative selections will be abundant

and Yea anidex dos have some Work to do but Who is to say there Host is Safe ?  

23 minutes ago, rickyhorror said:

darn that's  a shame  alot of people  loved your content.