Welcome to Kametsu

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Cryptic

Best Encoding Program?

16 posts in this topic

When it comes to video encoding, there's a lot of options out there. I've used VidCoder/Handbrake, xvid4psp, megui, and maybe a few others I can't remember. I've probably used handbrake the most, but it's not perfect. Before I begin though, it's important to know I do encoding like deadfish, I encode to mp4 & compress so I can watch it on my tv. Yes I know I could just hook up my pc to my tv, but fuck I'm lazy.

VidCoder/Handbrake

For those of you who aren't aware, VidCoder is just a gui for handbrake. But anyways, let's start off with my experience so far with it. When I first started using it, I didn't have many problems. But then I updated the program, and I first started having issues with audio sync. I made an issue and they fixed it. Now here's where it really gets bad: I would randomly find broken frames, or artifacts in my videos like this randomly and unpredictably. I created an issue on github, and it resulted with them saying it was my computer's fault. This wasn't the case though, as I encoded on slightly older computer and the same thing happened. Even now, getting a new $1k computer, it still happens. Now you're probably wondering why I'm still using it. Well, it's very iffy and didn't seem to happen on older versions.

xvid4psp

I think this was the program I started off with. It was simple, easy, and always gave good results. The main issue with it, is that it doesn't handle subtitles well, in my experience anyway. I could just do individual encodes and mux them after, but I'm pretty lazy.

megui

I've seen such high reviews of this, yet when I tried using it, I never got a good result. The gui is pretty bad, organization is bad, and just an overall very confusing program. Not to mention I couldn't really find any good tutorials.

Recently, I wanted to encode a bd rip from 8bit to 10bit, and I just couldn't find anything good. So my question is what encoder do you guys use, what settings do you use, and (if you have any) what other suggestions do you have for me? As you can see I'm not very knowledgeable in this, so pls be nice :)

GUIs are apparently bad, but if you must GUI, MeGUI is the only one to use. Things like VidCoder/HandBrake/xvid4psp aren't considered real encoding imo. They're basically what you'd call one click encoders, in that it's meant for people who want something fast and easy without worry about what the actual output is like. The thing is, most of what you'd do with MeGUI is editing the x264 settings and simply loading your avisynth script and telling it to encode. Most of the GUI is meant for things that you'd almost never have any use of.

Real encoding isn't something just anyone could do though either. It takes a long time to learn how to script with avisynth and adjust settings for every show they do, sometimes per episode. Then you've got the flexibility of filtering specific problematic scenes only instead of the entire episode that doesn't need it. For example, one script that was written a few weeks ago to encode with, took 3 days of scripting and nearly 400 lines of code. And that is all before any actual video encoding happened. Of course the majority of this was frame mapping to cover up hardsubs in the source video by masking another video source over just the hardsubs in specifics, but still. You see what I'm getting at. It's a real learning curve, one that many just aren't willing to step up to or give it the time needed to learn how to do it right.

Ideally you'd also want to encode straight from the source rather than re-encoding an encode, because regardless of what anyone might try to tell you, every time you re-encode something, it loses quality. If re-encoding comes from being too lazy to hook up a PC to a TV, why not buy a separate PC that is meant specifically to be used as a HTPC that remains connected to the TV? You can find really nice HTPC capable of playing anything you throw at for like between $90 to like $200. Much cheaper than building a gaming rig.

Anyways, if you're not utilizing some form of avisynth, of course your experience would be bad with MeGUI, because you weren't utilizing it right. It's a GUI for loading avisynth scripts to send to x264. Which aside from taking a learning curve to really know what you're doing; it can be a pain just trying to compile everything you'd need. Cause many of the required filters you'd need for pretty much everything you do, have half a dozen of their own required filters to work, which then have dependencies on other filters, and so on... and many of these are located at places that have long since died, so obtaining then can really be hell, but it is possible.

So basically for starters, start by getting Avisynth+ which can be found here: http://avisynth.nl/index.php/AviSynth%2B

I'd personally recommend getting the r2294 version to have an easy installer. If you wish you can download the latest one after the fact and copy over the updated files.

You can then look on this page: http://avisynth.nl/index.php/External_filters

and find a listing of the majority of filters you'd most likely be looking for.

I'm not going to get into detail about what filters or filter settings you should be using, because that would be pretty much a never-ending adventure, and I'm not even sure you're gonna be willing to do all this anyways.

Then install MeGUI: https://sourceforge.net/projects/megui/

Grab the latest komisar build of x264 here: http://komisar.gin.by/

Then replace the 264.exe in the installation folder of MeGUI with it. This build will give you a lot of improvements + allow you to use various newer x264 settings the default x264 build doesn't offer or doesn't work as well as with. However MeGUI either limits the settings of them or doesn't offer settings for them, so you'd be required to manually add them on Custom Command Line at the top of the Misc. tab within the x264 settings. Things like aq-mode 3 for example which gives a lot better biased towards maintaining detail in dark scenes which is often lost in other modes.

3 people like this

I didn't know about avisynth. I've heard of it, but didn't really know its purpose. It seems more complex than what I'd like to get into atm.

42 minutes ago, Koby said:

Ideally you'd also want to encode straight from the source rather than re-encoding an encode

Yeah, it's rare I would have the source since I'm not a ripper. I don't even own a bluray reader...

44 minutes ago, Koby said:

why not buy a separate PC that is meant specifically to be used as a HTPC that remains connected to the TV?

Because it's just that much more work. Plus I wouldn't want to turn on a computer, wait for it to boot up, then watch one episode, shut it down, and repeat. I'm by no means a binge watcher. I normally watch 1 episode a day (maybe 2 here and there). It's just really inconvenient.

43 minutes ago, Koby said:

Anyways, if you're not utilizing some form of avisynth, of course your experience would be bad with MeGUI, because you weren't utilizing it right.

Well I guess that explains it. I always wondered why people praised it so much. Is there a script out there that is a standard or something? Or do you have to customize a script for different sources?

Anyways, thanks for the info :)

On 4/20/2017 at 9:09 AM, Cryptic said:

Yes I know I could just hook up my pc to my tv

[...]

Depending on your setup, it might be lazier to try Plex/Emby. The idea is to stream media dynamically from your computer to your TV.

For newer smart TVs, a native app might be available, or for older ones I would just hook up a raspberry pi to the TV's HDMI port, then use either some Kodi variant for the pi or a webbrowser. Pi 3B has both WiFi and Ethernet ports and can decode the 8-bit AVC at 1080p streamed to it properly. Then you do not have to worry about transcoding yourself, since that is being done dynamically, saving you lots of time, and also means you can keep your actual media collection in the best quality available 10-bit AVC/HEVC.

Currently, Plex is better, especially for Anime, but Emby has more potential overall. Both are free to use, but have premium features.

So my question is what encoder do you guys use, what settings do you use, and (if you have any) what other suggestions do you have for me? As you can see I'm not very knowledgeable in this, so pls be nice :)

Uh...I use a batch script I wrote myself that uses ffmpeg to read avisynth scripts and pipe the output to x264/x265. Yeah o.o... MEGUI/Handbrake are your best bet for something graphical but excellent quality. Handbrake is probably the best for you due to the built-in effortless hardcoding functionality. Hardcoding with ffmpeg/avisynth is a PITA.

Most other (anime) encoders use AVC @ crf=16, 10-bit, yuv420p, but can go as low as crf=14 and raise the quantizer by 0.1 to 0.7. Personally, I will not go lower than crf=18 nor raise the quantizer. I do also use HEVC with my favorite x265 settings at crf=17, 10-bit yuv444p.

Posted (edited)

Surprised no one has mentioned StaxRip yet. It offers the same things as MeGUI does but I find the actual GUI to be much easier to understand. Plus it supports VapourSynth as well, which is a nice bonus. The creator has stopped updating it as of late 2016 (if I recall correctly), but I'd say it works like a charm.

Edited by Scyrous
1 person likes this

2 hours ago, Scyrous said:

Surprised no one has mentioned StaxRip yet. It offers the same things as MeGUI does but I find the actual GUI to be much easier to understand. Plus it supports VapourSynth as well, which is a nice bonus. The creator has stopped updating it as of late 2016 (if I recall correctly), but I'd say it works like a charm.

Hmm it seems to have a nice amount of options, but will take some time getting used to. I do like how it was coded in visual basic though :)

On 4/20/2017 at 10:48 PM, Koby said:

So basically for starters, start by getting Avisynth+ which can be found here: http://avisynth.nl/index.php/AviSynth%2B

I'd personally recommend getting the r2294 version to have an easy installer. If you wish you can download the latest one after the fact and copy over the updated files.

You can then look on this page: http://avisynth.nl/index.php/External_filters

and find a listing of the majority of filters you'd most likely be looking for.

I'm not going to get into detail about what filters or filter settings you should be using, because that would be pretty much a never-ending adventure, and I'm not even sure you're gonna be willing to do all this anyways.

@Koby Do you teach classes on how to encode by chance? 9_9 I'd enroll. ;)

5 hours ago, EljayFlintok said:

@Koby Do you teach classes on how to encode by chance? 9_9 I'd enroll. ;)

@Koby I would too but I think that you don't have the time. 

@EljayFlintok wanna kidnap him? 

2 hours ago, Nabull said:

@EljayFlintok wanna kidnap him? 

:ph34r::ph34r: Thugalicious PM incoming! 

Coordinating a kidnap across borders might turn out too challenging, though. ¬¬

6 minutes ago, EljayFlintok said:

Coordinating a kidnap across borders might turn out too challenging, though.

We could hire some professionals, have someone in mind?:confident:

Posted (edited)

19 minutes ago, Nabull said:

We could hire some professionals, have someone in mind?:confident:

Them: 

Spoiler

Black-Lagoon.jpg&f=1

They have the means and the prowess. 

Edited by EljayFlintok

17 hours ago, EljayFlintok said:

Them: 

Reveal hidden contents

Black-Lagoon.jpg&f=1

They have the means and the prowess. 

All that's needed now is a place to keep him

1 person likes this

57 minutes ago, Nabull said:

All that's needed now is a place to keep him

Spoiler

latest?cb=20150215165328

8 minutes ago, EljayFlintok said:

Hide contents

latest?cb=20150215165328

Come on you don't want him to feel too comfortable. 

1 person likes this

Just now, Nabull said:

Come on you don't want him to feel too comfortable. 

Perhaps a library of some kind. We'll have to keep the pressure on him at all times