dealing with loss (please do not make light of this)

Stuy

yesterday my cat panther died, he was murdered by a pit bull terrier.

panther had been with me for 15 years of my life, since I can remember panther was there with me and now he's gone. I will never see him again I will never hear him purr or meow or see him rip up the carpet or have him cuddle up to me when it was cold. you may think that he's just a cat get over it but you probably have a brother or sister I don't so when it was time for my friends to go home all I had was panther. panther was the type of cat that would never leave your side, he loved everyone, to me and to my mum he was the best cat in the world.

right now as I am typing this nothing seems real anymore, I am in so much shock that reality has lost all meaning and everything is pointless. this is the biggest loss that i'v had to deal with in my life I have know idea how to deal with it, I feel utterly destroyed.

please tell me what I can do

Loss is something you can't avoid in your life, no matter how hard you try. Life goes on and brings both dark and light times. Be strong to face them, and be a support to your loved ones, and keep the memories of the ones you lost... That's pretty much everything you can do.

I'm sorry about your cat.

I know how you feel, having no brothers or sisters myself and the fact that I don't get along with my neighbours/most other people, my animals play a very important part in my life, when one of them died for the first time,of unknown circumstances I felt similar to how you are feeling now, although the way I look at things now are way different from back then, meaning that stuff like this doesn't bother me anymore, But I can tell you that at that time the best thing you can do is not try to hold any feelings, if you have to cry then cry, if you're fortunate enough to have a friend who won't laugh at you(unlike me) then you could try talking to that person, eventually, whether you like it or not, you'll have to realize that life continues, and you have to put these things behind you, hope I made sense here and you don't take anything the wrong way, good luck man.

I know exactly how you feel stuy. About this time last year, my dog died of cancer - she was 16 years old. She came to our family as a puppy and was our fifth family member. I actually become quite ill and couldn't get out of bed for a few days. Yeah, just like you felt, everything seemed so pointless.

There's not much you can do except wait, beause time heals. That's what my mum told me at the time, and she was right. I still cry somtimes, but time has enabled me to deal and cope witht those feelings. And just like everyone else is saying, don't hold back your feelings, and don't forget the memories you shared with your cat. Maybe when you feel up to it, you could make something in memory of your cat. In my case, I made a flower garden for my dog and got a special plaque made with her name on it. That really helped me, and now I have a place to visit her from time to time.

But you must also be feeling angry about how your cat died. I hope something is done about that pit bull.

Sorry about your cat stuy.

Sorry Stuy, nobody can tell you what to do in a situation like that.

I had a cat, his name was Tiger... it is still hard to talk about him... He was killed by my next door neighbour... Tiger was special to me, he would sleep with me and follow me everywhere, even sit out the front of the Galleria and wait for me to finish my shopping before walking me home. He was more human than cat, although he did have this nasty habit of sucking the back of my neck as I was sleeping.

But the pain does fade over time... I still morn for him, I will always miss him. However I always have the happy memories with tiger in my head and heart.

I am deeply sorry for your loss Stuy.

I'm so sorry stuy, I went through a simmilar thing, i'm 17 and my very first memory is that of my cat tubby. i was 6 months old so literally do not remember a time without her. She died last year and I was lost as well. Dealing with the loss of something like that is different to deal with, my advice right now is to take a break from the world for a day or two, get your grieveing over and done with then go back and take life day by day.

also, beware of your digital camera, it can haunt you with their photos

Dude, everything that exists in this world will eventually vanish one day. Even you, me and everything else.

So, now that you know how much painful it is to loose someone then try not to hurt someone who is still there for you. Who cares about you and loves you. So try to love them as much as you can. Loosing something/someone is a lesson that life teaches you so that you can become a stronger person. Hope you feel better. Sorry about your cat. Try to talk to someone about it. Might make you feel better.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I know that any loss hurts, when I lost my first pet it was very hard to move on. The best thing you can do, is concentrate on the good times you had with your little friend Panther, take some time to mourn his passing, and when you feel you are ready, go find a new little friend. I know it probably seems like you'd be betraying his memory by getting a new cat, but trust me, it helps a lot.

Especially if you get a very young one, and it can distract you by finding it's way onto high things it can't get down from... Speaking of which, I need to go rescue Angel from the top of the fridge.. Bye!

Cut yourself. I'm not joking... I did it a few times when I was depressed and just last night too, just two small little cuts... It didn't make me feel better but it helped.

I wouldn't recommend that. Not judging you or anything, it's just not a safe bet to cut yourself. It is true that it can help your emotional state turn into a physical one. While that may help you at that time, it could become extremely addictive. And of course, the more you do it, the more dangerous it would become obviously.

If you are having a hard time and would rather have physical pain I recommend one thing...Exercise. Not only does it cause you to cause you pain BUT its healthy. The best of both worlds.

• 2 weeks later...
Cut yourself. I'm not joking... I did it a few times when I was depressed and just last night too, just two small little cuts... It didn't make me feel better but it helped.

I think this is not the right way but cutting your self won't change anything just makes you hurt that's it, it is just madness that is it, i think you should deal with you problem instead of cutting yourself....:mad:

I think you should take a new kitten and i know it wont replace panther but it will really help u trust me.......:big_smile:

your cat looks just like my cat. only, my cat's tail is only a nub. i named him sassy because well, he was quite a sassy little kitten. he died 10 years ago but, i still remember how sweet and playful he was. our neighbor poisoned him. i remember crying while holding him and how he licked my hand before he died. i really was so sad when he died and i still am,.. a little. it never really goes away but it does fade. i know you don't feel like it right now but, the hurt you feel will fade someday..

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I know if my black cat Rascal died I wouldn't be able to get over it because he is one of my friends even though he is a animal of course. but it was about a year until I got over the death of my guinea pig Mr.Guinea because he was one of my friends and was friends with my cat as well.

you will eventually get over the loss of your pet but i think the best thing is to buy another cat or another animal to fill the hole in your heart from this experience.

Best of luck cheers :dhh:

yeah I know what it's like to lose a cat. I still love my Maraduan, shes not dead but I'll never seen her again, my mom gave her away without my permission while I was moved away cause my now long since ex boyfriend wouldn't let me bring her and then later on let his sister have a cat saying bullshit like it will be mine and her cat. Maraduan was 100% perfect, never chewed in wires, was funny as hell, always slept on my lap when I came back from school and loved me so much she got so mad that I left she peed on my bed(not the greatest thing but she was pissed at me literately)

It makes me sad to think that her name was changed to horrible missy, her litter box is never changed and shes got the most stupid blonde owner that has 3 somes with her boyfriend. If i could id steal her over night i would but it's been too many years and I don't know where that moron lives.

Well I feel for ya stuy, i really do... ma dog, murphy, died on march 13th, last year and believe me that was bad... we had him for 13 years and he had been with us all the way through moving from scotland to spain... ma mum was desvestted, as was everyone in ma family...but my only advice would be too get the grief out of your system and never forget the good times, also throw a big wake to celebrate the life they lived...believe me that helps...