How's your hard drive doing?

joske

20 hours ago, Koby said:

Nah, watch 4K, archive 1080p. ;) 720p is like the new 480p. Only reason it's hanging on now is due to people worried about the size of 1080p; which could be cut down if people opted to utilize lossy audio instead if they were concerned about size over quality.

I don't need an overpriced monitor/TV to watch 1080p/720p. I can see the quality to 1080p but, it isn't worth twice the size.

Besides, lately anything I watch that is archived, I watch on my 15.6", 1366x768 laptop screen during my lunch breaks at work.

14 minutes ago, DabDeity710 said:

Can you dumb that down even further lmfao

A computer with many (or just two. Waste of a server but, still possible) hard drives connected to a network. With the proper permissions, anyone on the network can access the computer with many hard drives as if it were an external hard drive. ...well, technically, that would be an external hard drive. I guess I mean to say as if it was an external hard drive connected via USB.

Edited by NeutralHatred
  • Like 1

I really want to build myself some kind of server with a raid.

I've got something like 12-15 HDDs of various sizes.

Sure, they're, mostly, organized (Anime-SUB, HDTV, Manga, Comics, Music, Etc).

But it's still kind of annoying dealing with anything from USB2.0 to USB3.0+External Power Source.

:|

38 minutes ago, Tanis said:

But it's still kind of annoying dealing with anything from USB2.0 to USB3.0+External Power Source.

Nothing worse than transferring with usb 2.0 that has to be one of my absolute biggest pet peeves

7 hours ago, Tanis said:

If you 1) don't care about redundancy and 2) don't care about point 1, you could use as many as you can of the biggest of those drives and set up a spanned volume (Linux or Windows) and get "one" storage drive with a (I'm assuming) very large capacity. 

This was the setup I had for MoodyBot (1x 2TB, 2x 1TB and 1x 500GB all joined to form one volume in a software raid) which worked fine with understandable risk. 

I now have 2x 4TB drives in it seen as they were cheap. 

55 minutes ago, NeutralHatred said:

I have a 250GB SSD, a 2TB internal, and 3TB external. Because I watch my shit. SMART is smart.

6x4TB + 2x8TB in ZFS RAID0 here. Plus about 12 TB total across other various machines, and about a TB of SSD space between two machines. 

Good times. 

On 3/27/2017 at 10:05 PM, DabDeity710 said:

Nothing worse than transferring with usb 2.0 that has to be one of my absolute biggest pet peeves

I still have one, maybe two, memory devices with the 1.0....so 2.0 ain't as horrid as it COULD be.

-Hell, I've still got a weird Frankenstein's Monster type ZIP/Floppy/Etc multi-reader...shit is SO DAMN OLD, but still works...and it's made me a lot of money.

--No, seriously, I STILL find clients who need data transferred from tech that was old in 1999.

But, yeah, vs 3.0?

Nope the fuck out of buying ANY 2.0...unless I HAVE to.

On 3/28/2017 at 5:20 AM, Moodkiller said:

If you 1) don't care about redundancy and 2) don't care about point 1, you could use as many as you can of the biggest of those drives and set up a spanned volume (Linux or Windows) and get "one" storage drive with a (I'm assuming) very large capacity. 

This was the setup I had for MoodyBot (1x 2TB, 2x 1TB and 1x 500GB all joined to form one volume in a software raid) which worked fine with understandable risk. 

I now have 2x 4TB drives in it seen as they were cheap. 

Yeah, I'll probably end up waiting till Cyber Monday and just going all out.

Get a solid raid set-up, with redundancy, so I don't have to look for 10+TB of data again.
xD
Just gotta be proactive and read more on it.

I've built custom gaming PCs before, but never have I done any kind of server so it's a bit new to me.

• Like 1