How's your hard drive doing?

joske

4 hours ago, Pollux said:
5 hours ago, Moodkiller said:

5TB internal - $338

I got my 5TB for $189 USD.

lol. Still, my (theoretical) 5TB external is cheaper than yours \o/ roughly $150 USD.

HOWEVER

3 hours ago, Koby said:

I got my 5TB for $189 USD.

Heh I paid same price for a 8TB

I think we all got destroyed here... Next time Koby, buy us some?

Hmm:

2x 500GB

1x 3TB

2x 4TB

= 7.5TB

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Moodkiller said:

lol. Still, my (theoretical) 5TB external is cheaper than yours \o/ roughly $150 USD.

HOWEVER

I think we all got destroyed here... Next time Koby, buy us some?

Hmm:

2x 500GB

1x 3TB

2x 4TB

= 7.5TB

That's it?

Me:

3x 1TB

2x 2TB

2x 4TB

1x 5TB

= 20TB

I loves me some TV Shows in 720p bluray...

..Bad for the wallet though.

upgrading nuku (storage server) hardware, going from 2x Quad-Core AMD Opteron 8384 (2700.000 MHz) to 4x AMD Opteron 6172 12-Core CPU's @ 2.1GHz with faster FSB, going from 64GB DDR2-533 to 32GB DDR3-1333 (can upgrade ram/CPU's later, and gain 6 extra HDD slots!, going to combind server cases in a fashion so will have 30xHDD 3.5" bays/tray's, will just have nuku's old case just hold drives and the RAID Controller no mobo/etc so i can install maybe 6x8TB or even 10TB drives in the 2U server should be a fun project!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Etzimal said:

English, please.

More power!

More storage for hen...Anime!

That's it?

..Bad for the wallet though.

Your last line is why "that's it?" :P.

Also, with this latest 4TB, I have no more bays left in my case :( .

So what I've being doing is replacing the smaller hardrives with bigger ones when the bigger ones become full :D .

Also also, 720p Master race!!!

Edited by Moodkiller
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Moodkiller said:

More power!

More storage for hen...Anime!

Your last line is why "that's it?" :P.

Also, with this latest 4TB, I have no more bays left in my case :( .

So what I've being doing is replacing the smaller hardrives with bigger ones when the bigger ones become full :D .

Also also, 720p Mater race!!!

I think you mean master race, but yeah.

Unfortunately, 720p bluray scene releases of tv shows are rather large.

I am currently watching Season 2 of Hemlock Grove & check 'dem filesizes out:

Spoiler

c12a45f2e4.png

Some file info:

Spoiler

c5c96107ca.png

Edited by Pollux
More info.

21 minutes ago, Pollux said:

I think you mean master race, but yeah.

I have a valid excuse this time... I was on mobile and the auto correct took over (you can image what it must have looked like before the autocorrect).

Lol, look at how constant those sizes are... GG encoder. Thats a lot of bloat O_O. No wonder your hard drives are as big as they are / or rather you have as many as you do.

To be honest, I don't even know what the last TV show was that I achieved, I don't even think it was for me xD.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I just dropped my 5tb seagate portable/external drive. I pulled it off the ledge it was on. Seagate's replacement policy is a lot crummier than Western Digitals. Seagate asks that you pay the shipping to them, and requires special package in their instructions. No bubble wrap, no packaging peanuts... What the heck do you package it with? They asked for some kind of speciality hdd packaging material that you can't buy at any store around you like USPS, UPS, or even FEDEX. I eventually called the customer service reps and they said bubble wraps fine as long as the drive was an external drive and wasn't moving around excessively in the packaging box. Western Digital pays shipping both ways, and doesn't enforce any weird shipping policies; that are just mandated to keep customers from getting their drives replaced if they happened to ship it to them in a crummy old box.

Why a 5tb external? Steam backups are pretty nice when you have crappy/slow/backwater internet providers like Mediacom(crapcom), Comcast(Comcrap), or any other isp that takes advantage of supposed select markets with their imposed download caps.

I have a bit of content from Kametsu, and Dorianhd irc channel's xdcc. Well, when they didn't start charging for access to it.

Ssd's that I have are a 500 gig Samsung Evo, which is totally worth it for large games like Fallout 4, or The Witcher 3. The performance is worth buying into them. Not too mention boot times and updates are so much faster. Ssd's major con is the limited writes with flash memory.

you do realize you can do the advanced replacment crap they ship you a new drive and you can then use the same crap they use to ship it back, sure your out ~10 bucks but hey your the one that fucked up anyhow by placing it where you did, honestly i'd not even let you return it, and i dont believe they would honor your warrenty because it was not a defect but you just being clumsy, read the fine print

Yes, I was clumsy. It happens, but I do know their advance replacement policies require a hold on your credit card. They pull the hold, once you return the other drive and they verify that they get it. No, I wasn't complaining about returning a bad drive on my part. Just the experience of having to deal with their customer service/return policies being a bit harsh even on normal replacements. I just have had an easier time replacing a drive through western digital, and their shipping back and forth is pretty nice. Alot faster than Seagates at almost 5-7 business days, which isn't too bad. They have this weird packaging material that they use for drives. It looks like packaging foam, though I have never seen it available to buy online/offline.

Raid will save your bacon with backups and archive your data on blurays, they are expensive. But so worth not losing your data. Especially family photos, and videos.

Not sure on cloud save these days, but google drive isn't too hard/terrible to use for pushing a bit of data out for backups. Be proactive with data backups and you won't have to worry about losing terabytes of data.

Nothing sucks more than having to redownload all your game libraries from steam/origin/uplay/gog. There is getting to be too many of these services.

19 minutes ago, zeondx said:

Yes, I was clumsy. It happens, but I do know their advance replacement policies require a hold on your credit card. They pull the hold, once you return the other drive and they verify that they get it. No, I wasn't complaining about returning a bad drive on my part. Just the experience of having to deal with their customer service/return policies being a bit harsh even on normal replacements. I just have had an easier time replacing a drive through western digital, and their shipping back and forth is pretty nice. Alot faster than Seagates at almost 5-7 business days, which isn't too bad. They have this weird packaging material that they use for drives. It looks like packaging foam, though I have never seen it available to buy online/offline.

Raid will save your bacon with backups and archive your data on blurays, they are expensive. But so worth not losing your data. Especially family photos, and videos.

Not sure on cloud save these days, but google drive isn't too hard/terrible to use for pushing a bit of data out for backups. Be proactive with data backups and you won't have to worry about losing terabytes of data.

Nothing sucks more than having to redownload all your game libraries from steam/origin/uplay/gog. There is getting to be too many of these services.

RAID is NOT a form of backup period you still have to back your stuff to discs or tape

as i did loose a RAID5 volume in the past and lost my shit anyhow, so yes i had to redownload 60TB+ of data again my ISP was super happy