How's your hard drive doing?

joske

30 minutes ago, JohnFlower said:

How do you check for bit rot?

File corruption caused by bitrot should be a super rare case and I've yet to see it happen on any of my disks. Ironically it's usually the image viewers / library management softwares that alter your images, and that is where filesystem checksumming and other redundancy fails. Keeping your own checksum lists and multiple backups on read-only filesystems/media is not the worst choice when it comes to preserving digital data.

The canonical solution is to use a filesystem that supports checksumming and to do regular backups.

In addition to that you can also use a redundant storage scheme (RAID) - at the filesystem layer - to avoid time consuming restores from the backup, if possible.

Examples of such filesystems are ZFS or Btrfs.

The checksumming feature of such filesystems is implemented using an cryptographic hash function. Thus, bit-errors downstream the storage stack are detected with a very high probability - because of that their capability to detect corruptions is on the same level or higher as with tools like par2.

Those filesystems also include redundant storage features - similar to RAID levels. The difference to a classical layering RAID approach is that in the case of a detected corruption the filesystem is able to chose the 'correct' leg, i.e. the side of the RAID mirror that returns the block with the correct checksum.

I have a ANKER USB 3.0 to SATA Adapter, as well I have an ORICO Hard Drive 2 Dock for most fails, but I no longer use or would never personally recomend to use WD (Western Digtal) external drives.
Any other external when damaged, I can get data from except WD and online I hear many saying the same.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Lets see:

I have 3 1TB Seagate drives (1st one is a little more than a year old [900GB Full], second one is 3 years old [500GB Full] and third one is 4 years old [Used for OS Backups])

A 750GB Transcend drive (already 7 years old and still tanking on) [600GB Full, Not being used as often now]

A 2TB WD Drive (A few months old) [Already 1.1TB Full]

Then just a 300GB Hitachi Drive lying around I hook up for some extra storage [Empty]

Then another 1TB WD Drive which my brother for that long term storage stuff.

In the end about 6.05TB of storage in total

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
16 hours ago, Pollux said:

...and it's almost full. LOL!

1604789024.png

RIP WD5001FZWX October 27 2016 - December 25 2016. 

I got a 4TB in November (black friday I think) and it still has 2.5TB free...

You should be streaming that hentai, not archiving it :P 

Edited by Moodkiller
Fixed my terrible spelling
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Moodkiller said:

RIP WD5001FZWX October 27 2016 - December 25 2016. 

I got a 4TB in November (black friday I think) and it still has 2.5TB free...

You should be streaming that hetai, not achieving it :P 

I think you mean Hentai and Archiving. :P

There is no Hentai on that drive, lol!

Too many seasons of tv shows in 720p bluray scene release.

They look great, but great amount of bloat. :)

I also backed up files from 3 different drives, so that is probably taking up some space.

Anyway, TV Shows:

Spoiler

cefb990041.png

Files that still need to be sorted, mostly anime:

Spoiler

1990967c1a.png

Hehe. :D

Edited by Pollux
Fixed something.
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Pollux said:

I think you mean Hentai and Archiving. :P

There is no Hentai on that drive, lol!

Too many seasons of tv shows in 720p bluray scene release.

They look great, but great amount of bloat. :)

I also backed up files from 3 different drives, so that is probably taking up some space.

Anyway, TV Shows:

Hide contents

cefb990041.png

Files that still need to be sorted, mostly anime:

Hide contents

1990967c1a.png

Hehe. :D

Lol, I don't know what you are talking about? My words look fine to me (and apparently did at the time of typing that -_-). Just ignore the bit under "Edited..."

Ah ok I see, yeah this is pretty much a true archive disk then! Also see why it's so full now, and in such a short period of time...

Also, jealous? :P (only ordered a few minutes ago)

7aff5d6a24.png

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Moodkiller said:

Lol, I don't know what you are talking about? My words look fine to me (and apparently did at the time of typing that -_-). Just ignore the bit under "Edited..."

Ah ok I see, yeah this is pretty much a true archive disk then! Also see why it's so full now, and in such a short period of time...

Also, jealous? :P (only ordered a few minutes ago)

7aff5d6a24.png

Meh. I'm wary of seagate drives. How much did that cost you? I mean when converted to U.S. currency?

I want 3 more of these to put into my enclosure:

9f7f78fd06.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pollux said:

Meh. I'm wary of seagate drives. How much did that cost you? I mean when converted to U.S. currency?

I want 3 more of these to put into my enclosure:

9f7f78fd06.png

Fair enough. I have a mixture in this pc at the moment (WD & Seagate) and have only had one fail - that was a WD funny enough xD. Main reason I went with this one was it was cheaper than its WD equivalent and this version was actually released this year O_O. It cost ~$145.78 USD by my google conversion rates.

Ooh, those are nice, 7200rpm and 128MB cache O.o. Must be pricey?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Moodkiller said:

Fair enough. I have a mixture in this pc at the moment (WD & Seagate) and have only had one fail - that was a WD funny enough xD. Main reason I went with this one was it was cheaper than its WD equivalent and this version was actually released this year O_O. It cost ~$145.78 USD by my google conversion rates.

Ooh, those are nice, 7200rpm and 128MB cache O.o. Must be pricey?

Yeah, Normally like $300 USD.

I got it on sale for under $200. :)