How's your hard drive doing?

joske

I have 1 main desktop which runs my media management software, torrenting, irc clients. This system has one ssd for the os, 4 1tb drives and 2 2tb drives.  I also have another two terabtye nas and a freenas with 4tb zfs volume for on access multimedia.  I also have two other freenas boxes with zfs volumes which back everything up that is currently still airing. (ZFS is perfect for redundant failover.) Once a show has finished airing they are moved to smaller hard drives which are in static bags.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, SakuraChan said:

at that rate might just go with a 3/4U rackmount server and build your own at half the cost, like I have

Can you show me an Example and also the Type Numbers with Prices?

What is the Electric Bill for keep them on 24/7 365 Days?

Edited by DJHulp

11 minutes ago, SakuraChan said:

well lets see, I was thinking on getting https://www.ebay.com/itm/153129096302

however dont have 900 to spend right now

But where do I place the Server Rack into?

Also the Electric Bill isn't this really more expensive this way, if I do it you're way?

Is the Synology Electric Bill not much Cheaper?

Edited by DJHulp

well you could store it in a closet/under your desk/etc, load with FreeNAS power is depending on how many drives you have installed, if 24/7 should eat no more then 500 watts fully loaded, however not sure on this, and depending on your power cost per kWh fully loaded might run you 15-25 USD/month however you can run plex, webserver/etc on it if you installed Linux itself and configured everything by hand instead of a simple GUI after a text installer

14 minutes ago, SakuraChan said:

well you could store it in a closet/under your desk/etc, load with FreeNAS power is depending on how many drives you have installed, if 24/7 should eat no more then 500 watts fully loaded, however not sure on this, and depending on your power cost per kWh fully loaded might run you 15-25 USD/month however you can run plex, webserver/etc on it if you installed Linux itself and configured everything by hand instead of a simple GUI after a text installer

Ok, that's no problem, great News about that.

Another Question, does it have Ethernet and USB Ports or must I buy something with it to have it.

Is it firewall Protected. You said FreeNas, is it also possible to install Windows Server or Synology OS as Main OS or can it only be used when it is only Virtual Machine?

Also what about this: http://www.45drives.com/products/, is this something or is the Ebay better?

Edited by DJHulp

you could load "xpenology" onto it however FreeNAS is known to do a ton, it comes with 2x1gbit connectors and i believe USB 2.0, you can install a 10 gigabit network card in it as well as a USB 3.0 card if enough PCIe slots are in it, you can load Windows server on it however dont really recommend windows your call, however i hear software drivebender (windows/paid) is good, however i run 4U 24 bay servers with linux loaded + RAID controllers for now (48x4TB total), as with Synology your locking into their eco-system and have to rely on their parts that can cost a ton in the event something fails, getting this unit for 900 is a damn good cost, you can replace the PSU's/mobo/etc whenever for something more "beefy" and with Synology, you have to buy their parts to "expand" which will cost more money, if money is not an issue then your call, just here to help save you money and do what me a storage hoarder does/thinking about buying for expansion/etc

as to 45drives.com stuff its still a bit costly, and generally buying used hardware is ok for most (cept HDDs) millage may vary

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, SakuraChan said:

you could load "xpenology" onto it however FreeNAS is known to do a ton, it comes with 2x1gbit connectors and i believe USB 2.0, you can install a 10 gigabit network card in it as well as a USB 3.0 card if enough PCIe slots are in it, you can load Windows server on it however dont really recommend windows your call, however i hear software drivebender (windows/paid) is good, however i run 4U 24 bay servers with linux loaded + RAID controllers for now (48x4TB total), as with Synology your locking into their eco-system and have to rely on their parts that can cost a ton in the event something fails, getting this unit for 900 is a damn good cost, you can replace the PSU's/mobo/etc whenever for something more "beefy" and with Synology, you have to buy their parts to "expand" which will cost more money, if money is not an issue then your call, just here to help save you money and do what me a storage hoarder does/thinking about buying for expansion/etc

Thanks for the Information, I'm definally going to take a look into this. ;) 

Ofcourse, if I can save Money I Always do that.

Edited by DJHulp

• 2 weeks later...

Lets see,

3x 2TB drives full of media with only 500G free (pretty difficult to maintain the free space)

1x 1TB with 2 partitions, 1 for programs and 1 for development work.

1x 240GB SSD with OS and core programs. Other programs go to the 1TB drive's 1'st partition.

Considering getting either a 10 or 12 TB drive to replace one of the 2TB ones. Scared of the upgrade because higher capacity drives tend to have more failures. I don't want to lose all the data.

• 2 weeks later...

IBM 75 GXP deathstar - my first drive death

2 x Seagate 500GB dead (both while heavy torrenting. coincidence?)

Seagate 7200.11 500GB in a coma (drive not recognized firmware bug)

5 WD Black 1TB failed smart test  (under warranty Western Digital replaced all 5 drives, which were over 4.5 years old, with 2TB Blacks. i just had to pay to ship them the bad drives)

35 WD Green 2TB doing fine

5 WD Black 2TB doing fine

5 WD White (aka Red) 8TB waiting to build nas (shucked from best buy easystore externals)